Concours 14 Question [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Concours 14 Question

DebbieW
07-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I test rode a Concours this weekend and liked it a lot. Can anyone tell me if there are many differences between the 2008 Concours and the 2010? Also, what would be a fair price for a 2008? I have no feel for this.

RCW
07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Your best source for what has been added on the 2010 Concours 14 is Kawasaki.com. They list the changes in their presentation. The Concours Owners Group also has a good comparison on their website.

Here is my two cents on what I see. For most of us, the real changes are the lower fairing has been redesigned to reduce heat on the rider's legs (never a problem for most riders anyway), a traction control system that has been updated along with the ABS, and there is now a selector for sport or tour modes that kills fuel economy if selected to sport.

The colors on the 2010 are depression colors of bleak black and bad blue. The 2009 came in a nice attractive red, and the 2008 could be had in a silver. Bike colors have a lot to do with safety, so I view black bikes as a real enigma and dangerous without additional lighting.

In all practical aspects the 2008 and 2009 are essentially the same bike as the 2010 for the average rider. Very skilled and experienced sport bike riders will see a slight difference with the 2010 over the older models. I am a very experienced rider, but not with this type of bike, so for me they are pretty much equal.

One thing, they are not the Concours of old, not even close. They are much more attuned to ultra high performance sport riding than the earlier C1000.

Prices: I would expect the new old stock 2008 ABS equipped bike for around $7,800-$8,200 and the 2009 ABS equipped bike for around $8,900-$9,400. Two weeks ago the prices would have been right at a $1,000 higher, but the model year clock has changed once again.

The non-ABS bikes are a walk away for most people as they have really low desirability and resale when you get to this level of power and sophistication. Try one and you will see what I mean, safety is very important on a bike this fast.

I do not think you can go wrong with any of them as long as you know how to really ride. They are a vastly more responsive and better handling sport touring bike than all but one high dollar model in BMW's stable, and the Yamaha FJR1300 both of which I think are equal to the C14 in many ways. Both of which I have owned and ridden, but not to their potential.

DebbieW
07-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the great reply. I test rode a 2010 at the Carlisle Bike Fest and really liked it. To my surprise, the Kawasaki guy and the guy who was directly behind me were surprised I rode it so well for my first time and said I handled it beautifully. I loved it but can't afford a 2010 so I went looking and found a nice 2008 that I may take a look at this weekend.

Maybe I should consider financing a small part of it and get the 2010 but I prefer to buy my bikes with cash

rbentnail
07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the great reply. I test rode a 2010 at the Carlisle Bike Fest and really liked it. To my surprise, the Kawasaki guy and the guy who was directly behind me were surprised I rode it so well for my first time and said I handled it beautifully. I loved it but can't afford a 2010 so I went looking and found a nice 2008 that I may take a look at this weekend.

Maybe I should consider financing a small part of it and get the 2010 but I prefer to buy my bikes with cash
Wow, you continue to surprise at every turn :-D. I've never ridden a C14 but my (everyone says) comparable FJR is a dream come true for me. Most comfortable bike I've ever owned. For the long haul, once you get used to it and tweak it a little to fit you, you're good for 5-600 miles/day no problem. Wanna haul a$$ down the slab? Check. Take a leisurely ride along the river? Check. Run errands around town? Check. These bikes do it all with ease.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

RCW
07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I would take the advice of the last post and also try the Yamaha FJR, excellent well balanced ride. Maybe even try the BMW K1200/1300GT. These are all very good motorcycles and currently the best of the breed from each of the manufacturers for sport touring.

Making the transition to a sport touring bike is a major step, and finding oneself in absolute control of all aspects of your ride on a performance touring bike is an amazing experience when you find that 12-18 hour saddle days are welcome experiences. Blowing by trucks is a snap, these are so slick and glued to the highway that buffeting by trucks is pretty much a thing of the past.

One huge downside to the upgrade to sport tourer is high powered sport touring bikes are not real happy with bad roads and potholes, and will eat tires at an unbelievable rate when run on marginal pavement. I wore out a new set of tires on a recent trip from Oregon to Ohio and back, and they are not the reasonably priced tires I could run on my Meanstreak. It is just too easy to push triple digit speeds all day long and be in absolute control with these rides.

If you do the change, get a radar detector with the blinking light that fits in the helmet faceplate opening, it will pay for itself the first day out.

maximumegg
07-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Other things you shouldn't overlook:
Can you still get a leg over it with the bags mounted?
Can you get it on/off the centerstand by yourself?
The connie is a wide beast, and a off-tire it's a lot of bike for those who lack inseam to spare.

Alf
07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I went the ST route after over 35 years of cruisers due to chronic back problems. The more upright sitting position on the ST favors my back more and I can actually ride for hours now stopping only for fuel. What can I say about the change freaking awesome wished I had done it years ago better handling, awesome power, better ride. There are a lot of good ST models out there Concours, FJR, BMW, Honda ST1300 and others but in my mind these are the major players and you cannot really go wrong with any of them. I had my 900 and bought a used C-10 pretty soon the 900 was sitting all the time and only rode when my son used it. This year I sold both and bought the 2010 Concours why the Concours it was a good fit for me and I liked the heated grips, traction control, linked brakes etc the 2010 offered. Also the look appealed to me over the others so personal choice. Google Concours forums this will give you days of reading about the bikes good and bad points. I cannot say enogh good things about the sport touring bikes.

DebbieW
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Alf
08-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Not to cite the obvious but looks like your post belongs in the scavenger hunt thread??

rbentnail
08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Or the BTK PA ride thread :-D. No biggie, my bike will look a lot like that in the morning as I head out to WV to meet and greet and ride the mountains for a couple days.

johntrak
01-24-2012, 12:51 AM
I have a C 14 and really love it. It replaced a BMW K 1200 GT and will do just about everything it did. It's more comfy to ride on long trips. Very quiet yet fast. I seem to wear out tires pretty quick but don't ride hard at all. I've ridden with BT 021 and now riding Pirelli Strada plains. Not much better. I miss the electronic cruise, automatic suspension and grip warmers of the K 12 but the simplicity of the C bike more than makes up for it. I've loved big kawis, owned many, and this one is especially very stable and fun to ride. Great straight ahead or in the twisties. It's heavy and feels like it but very easy to maneuver in close quarters at slow speed with nice low cg. Big plus. Wider turning radius not so good. But, my other bike is a Honda ST 1100 Police Special so I'm kinda used to it. Way lighter but not as fast. I tried the FJR but didn't like the noise and vibrations. Too bad because it was a great handler and compact. Really, the C14 is a bargain for the advanced tech and ride ability. It's also quiet and very smooth. You can't go wrong with one. Pros: fast, quiet, smooth, good handling. Cons: Small fuel tank, limited range, 35 to 38 mpg for me, eats tires like crazy. But, don't let those things stop you. It's everything they say it is and a great ride for not a lot of green stuff. One final thing, watch the exhaust and muffler, it gets hot. The engine stays cool, they fixed the heat issues near your legs, good idea.

Sabrehawk
02-03-2012, 08:32 AM
The C-14 is a great ride.I have 30K on my '08. The only complaint I had was the original tires, after 2 sets of bridgestones I wised up and changed to Michelins
it completely changes the ride and handeling for the better,they have over 15K on them now and the rear is almost ready to replace.The saddle hiegth is a little tall but
otherwise a good fit. I regularly put in 600-700 mi. days in comfort, you may have to add handelbar risers but that is easy and inexpensive. Good luck and good riding.

johntrak
02-04-2012, 01:38 AM
I keep reading good things about the Michilens. I will try them next next time which won't be long now. Their car tires are great on my MBZ S class. The Toyo Versado isn't bad either, as a quick aside. My friend runs The PRs on his Triumph and won't run anything else. A lot of happy riders. Must be good skins. Good input. I appreciate it a lot. Happy riding everyone.