RICKMAN 1972 PARTS NEEDED [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

RICKMAN 1972 PARTS NEEDED

GAZA900
08-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Hi all

I have a Rickman 1972 z1900 with a 3/4 fairing. Does anyone know wher I can get a fairing glass. I also need new seal for rear brake cylinder.

Saw a photo of Rickman CR750 with some very nice chrome air filters on the back of the carbys. Does anyone know where I can get some of those babies.

I have been out of bikes for 20 years and have just put the Rickman back together after all that time.

Would be great if someone can help me.

Cheers
GAZA

RCW
08-14-2010, 04:59 PM
I have one of the 1975 Z1 900 CR Rickman Kaw's that they bumped to 1100cc, and had a local Plexiglas shop bend me a new windshield based on photos of the original. A good body shop can fix the fairing and tail so it is like original. On mine the mechanicals like brakes and such were Kawasaki stock items for the Z1 series factory race bikes and are actually Brembo. The camshafts are Yoshi, and still available as special order items from Japan. Brake lines are specialty house stainless steel braid sold as after market upgrades for most motorcycles.

Also, be sure you check your cam chain, followers and the tensioners. The material on the followers tends to get brittle with age and the tensioners were from the days when they still sort of worked.

You may want to think seriously before putting it on the street. Insurance is a killer because these will blow the doors off even the hottest superbikes of today, the spoke wheels and tubed tires are not up to the performance level of the bike, and you have to buy leaded racing gas or you will detonate the pistons. The 14 mpg they get when tuned to scoot is pretty bad for today's riding, too. The bike is a collector item and should be worth about $30,000 and up, if it is in showroom condition with the original green or blue with real hand painted white pinstripes.

GAZA900
08-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I have uploaded a photo to my profile which shows the rear brake cylinder. This is not my bike but it has the same rear brake cylinder. Is yours the same?

The guys from air tech gave me a good tip on the windscreen. Gustafsson Plastics (http://www.bikescreen.com)

I appreciate your advice and info and I will look into all the issues you raised. I had not given the cam chain and tensioners any thought and I think it's a good point.

Thanks