By the end of next week I will file suit [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

By the end of next week I will file suit

wbilotta
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Enough is enough. I've been complaining about the stalling issue with my bike for long enough. Last Sunday the bike stalled six times.

I sent an email to the dealer requesting he arrange with Kawasaki to transport the bike to the dealership for repair. If no repair is possible then I want to exchange the bike for another. Sent another email on Thursday asking for a status update, dealer had not heard back from Kawasaki. Called the dealer today, still no response from Kawasaki.

So I've established a deadline of next Thursday. If Kawasaki doesn't have a repair and they are not willing to exchange the bike I will file suit. Hopefully I don't have to involve the dealer as a defendant but I will do so if need be.

This has gone on long enough. I refuse to pay for a motorcycle that I can't safely ride.

Edit: I'm researching the possibility of turning this into a class action case.

RCW
08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Modern motorcycles are very complex electronic marvels, and tracing an intermittent problem is the worst challenge for any shop. No one will throw parts at the issue, so patience and following procedures is required.

You may want to look into your local state's lemon laws, and then follow that procedure to the letter. You want well documented tracks of following the warranty procedure, and the efforts made to allow Kawasaki to correct the deficiency.

Tackling these guys over this issue outside of established consumer protections does not usually lead to anything other than a lot of hard feelings and frustration.

I frequently get drug into these sort of issues as an outside independent, and I have yet to see anyone that followed the established procedures end up on the short end of the stick. I also have yet to see anyone that failed to follow the procedures outlined in the Owner Manual and local State Law ever win! So, tread carefully and be sure you give your dealer a fair chance to remedy the situation.

petergpx
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
hi iam new but if you are having trouble with your bike then dont,forget to keep copys of all the letters and other information you send or recive from kawasaki as in some cases(as in the u.k) they can take up to 4 weeks to answer or longer . it once took kawasaki 6 weeks to answer a letter i sent them but then that was over a year a go by the time they answered i changed my bike

Metalman
09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I had many problems with a brand new left over 87 Honda Goldwing that I bought in 89. As a poster suggested, I kept copies of all correspondence and journals of all telephone calls and face to face conversations. Eventually after several trips to the Honda dealer service dept., I sent all documentation to Honda in CA. Before long I was told to go back to the Honda dealer and pick out another bike. I chose a left over 86 Goldwing and rode it for 21 years and over 80K miles.

K12GT
09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Wbilotta:

Hang in there, this could take some time. The posters above are providing some good advice.

I had a new BMW in 2006 that the manufacterer had to buy back and replaced it with a newer model, so I felt they met mehalf-way. I had to tell them that I retained an attorney, but only after I had reviewed my states LEMON LAWS. Before hiring an attorney, I tried to work with the dealership but when I was placated and strung-along, I decided to up the ante.

The best results I had was writting a kind and informative letter to BMW N/A through their website. (Just bypass the dealership if you feel like you are at the end with them) From writting that letter to when the new bike was delivered took me 2 months.

It does no good to go into the dealership mad, and barking your wishes to them. Your Dealership and possibly K.N.A. will just shut you down and you will be even more frustrated.

Document all encounters, this will go a long way in re-creating any timelines.

Remember all manufacterer's have problems. I purchased a new Honda in 1977 and it had 9 cylinder head gaskets, with a slew of warranty problems. In the End American Honda chose not to do the right thing in making that LEMON run right. To this day, I do not own any Honda products.

NH Lar
11-08-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure what bike you are talking about, but if it is the new Voyager or Nomad it is my understanding there is a now a recall for the stalling problem.

doebag
11-10-2010, 04:09 AM
I'm not sure what bike you are talking about, but if it is the new Voyager or Nomad it is my understanding there is a now a recall for the stalling problem.

Their signature say's '2010 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 ABS' so you are on the money.

dpetrick
11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
A recall has been issued to deal with this issue. I believe they are replacing the ECU. Your dealer should have the information.

uechi kid
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Enough is enough. I've been complaining about the stalling issue with my bike for long enough. Last Sunday the bike stalled six times.

I sent an email to the dealer requesting he arrange with Kawasaki to transport the bike to the dealership for repair. If no repair is possible then I want to exchange the bike for another. Sent another email on Thursday asking for a status update, dealer had not heard back from Kawasaki. Called the dealer today, still no response from Kawasaki.

So I've established a deadline of next Thursday. If Kawasaki doesn't have a repair and they are not willing to exchange the bike I will file suit. Hopefully I don't have to involve the dealer as a defendant but I will do so if need be.

This has gone on long enough. I refuse to pay for a motorcycle that I can't safely ride.

Bottom line for me is.... What happened. Did you file a law suit? Did they take care of the problem? What happened?

GREENISBEST
11-11-2010, 08:54 AM
A recall has been issued to deal with this issue. I believe they are replacing the ECU. Your dealer should have the information.

Yep i concur we have had notice in the UK of a recall on frame ranged 1700's for stalling issues with effected units getting the ECU replaced.

If the Bike is new it gets a new ECU
If the Bike is used it gets a reprogrammed ECU

tooeagle
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM

I know this is several weeks later. But can you update us? Have you filed a lawsuit? I too am having problems getting this thing fixed. I had the dealer order the ECU (or ECM) or whatever they are calling it, to fix this intermittent stalling issue. 2 months now have gone by and I can't ride my bike either. I've called Kawasaki twice, and they are now not even returning my call. I want to know is when they are going to get thee parts to the dealer. I'd also like to know also, anyone reading this with the same recall issue, have you had yours fixed yet, and did it solve the stalling problem?

pat0021
12-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I know this is several weeks later. But can you update us? Have you filed a lawsuit? I too am having problems getting this thing fixed. I had the dealer order the ECU (or ECM) or whatever they are calling it, to fix this intermittent stalling issue. 2 months now have gone by and I can't ride my bike either. I've called Kawasaki twice, and they are now not even returning my call. I want to know is when they are going to get thee parts to the dealer. I'd also like to know also, anyone reading this with the same recall issue, have you had yours fixed yet, and did it solve the stalling problem?

I have a friend that bought the exact model you show in your Avatar. They put a new ECU in his before it left the show room. He hasn't mentioned any issues with stalling. If that helps any????

tooeagle
12-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks. doesn't really help, but thanks anyway. No way of knowing if that particualr bike had the stalling issues in the first place. As I understand the issue, not all bikes covered under the recall actually have the stalling problem.
But if you could ask him - has he had any issues with transmission noise? Mine is really noisy at low speeds (around 1600 rpm or so). Also, clunky shiftying. I understand now kawasaki did find a fix for this. Is he enjoying the bike? And other than the recall issue, I really am enjoying it except foth enoise issues. (and I can't really ride it now because of the recall though, until I get the part I need!)

pat0021
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
He didn't say anything about any of that. Its up for the winter right now though.

wbilotta
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I had sent a 2nd certified letter to Kawasaki and informed them that if the problem could not be rectified then I will be returning the bike to the dealer for a refund.

Now, before this I had requested to have the ECU replaced and Kawasaki said no to the dealer. After my 2nd letter the dealer called to say he had a replacement ECU delivered with my name on it. This was before Kawasaki officially recognized the problem. Anyway, had the ECU replaced with zero improvement so it was back to undertaking legal action.

Then I received an email from a friend who works at a dealer informing me of the recall. I sent an email to my dealer with the recall # and it was the first they were hearing of it. Dealer ordered the reprogrammed ECU and the bike does run better now.

But, this will be my last Kawasaki. The way corporate handled this mess was dismal. Telling me I was the only person with this problem when I knew from the forums there were many of us dealing with this. Then, corporate tried telling me I need to goose the throttle when downshifting. I asked if the bike lacks an idle circuit.

The whole corporate deny, delay, refuse to recognize a problem business model doesn't sit well with me. Kawasaki offered no compensation for the multiple trips to the dealer trying to fix this problem. So this will be my last Kawasaki.

texas rider
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
i bought my 09 nomad in august of 2010 , i put 3000 miles on it with no stalling problems . then recieved the recall about the ecu. they had it with in 1 week and got it replaced . the only difference i see is that it keeps the rpm's up a little longer when slowing doen. since i down shift and use motor torque to slow the beast down anyway i don't see it making that big of a difference . but then again i never incountered any stalling issues anyway. my experience with my local kawa dealer has been lack luster at best . if it's not a warranty issue i have found a good all around bike mechanic to take my ride to for other fixes. an example is tire replacement , my kawa dealer wouldn;t touch the tire i buoght on line for half of what they were gonna charge. even thuogh it was oem replacement tire. they wouldn't do anything for me because they didn't sell me the tire . i took it an independant bike shop and they mounted, balanced and put whole backend back right. the thing seems to run truer down the road now than when it was new . the drive belt rides more centered on the pulley. honestly i think finding a good independant mechanic can save you a lot of money sometimes and depending on your dealers shop ( mine was a small dealership ) the certified independant mechanic may do abetter job .

at any rate i still love my 09 nomad and wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing a leg over it and going cross country . i can't say that about h-d or a couple of the other touring bikes i,ve had .

wbilotta , you shouldn't have had such problems getting your bike fixed, your right on that. but i doubt you'll find much more responsibity for their product at any other manufacterer. just the corporate way these days . i know it's sad .

Hotshoe
01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
as a former service manager for a very large NE Kawi dealership, i place the issue squarely at the feet of the service manager. it takes a bit of political prowess as well as a technical head to keep customers happy and navigate the maze of warranty and recall payment. Please try another dealership before you abandon team green.

tooeagle
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I have a friend that bought the exact model you show in your Avatar. They put a new ECU in his before it left the show room. He hasn't mentioned any issues with stalling. If that helps any????

I just got it back from the dealer who replaced the ECU and it runs perfect now. It was intermittently stalling out when you come down to a stop on a compression coast (coasting to a stop in gear) and it would constantly feel like it was going to stall out any time I came to a stop. It's now fine. Glad to see Kawasaki at least took care of one of these problems, what about the rest? This Voyager is still a great bike - I can't
think of anything I would like better - I just want a quiet, smooth shifting transmission, which they obviously have a fix for, but refuse to pay the dealers for it. Looks like I'll have to fork over the money myself, which
tells me Kawasaki just doesn't really care. (the ECU is a safety issue, and they were forced to fix it by recall)