2010 VOYAGER TEST RIDE [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2010 VOYAGER TEST RIDE

KURT
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Finaly rode a 2010 voyager today. Went for about 8 miles on the interstate
between 65-75 mph and also rode a side rode with some sharp curves. Thought the wind protection was very good as well as the handling at slow
and high speeds. Loved the radio and cruise. Shifting seemed loud and harsh but shifted okay. Now for the downside. When I got back to the dealership the salesman asked. "Well what did you think?" I looked at him and said I hate to tell you this but I liked most everything except for the vibration and shake. It was very noticable at all speeds and in any gear, my
1500 classic is much smoother. He thought for a second and said. "you are the 5th one to say the same thing about this bike". If you have one I am sure you will enjoy it, but It`s not for me unless they can smooth that motor out in future models. He said kawi is comming out with 13-14 new models but didn`t know of what yet.
RIDE SAFE, KURT:)

Kodiakmac
09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
"you are the 5th one to say the same thing about this bike".

Funny, my 09 is smooth as silk. No shakes, no bad vibes. I also had a 1500 Classic (best bike I ever had) and I have to say that its vibration - which wasn't really that noticeable - was more prounounced than my Voyager.

uechi kid
09-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Check out the Venture. No bad vibes there.

KURT
09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the voyager they have. All of the articles I have read comparing the voyager to the electroglide also say that the harley is smoother after you get going. Havn`t rode one yet but the voyager also felt under powered too. Plan to ride a venture sometime as well.

KURT
09-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Rode a 2010 ultra classic today. Much smoother than the voyager I rode yesterday. Has a lot more shake at idle but smooths out very nice after your rolling. Ultra has quicker acceloration out of the whole but 1500 has more top end. Still searching for my next bike.
Would be more than happy to ride another voyager to compare because i was not very pleased with the 1st one. Plan to ride a wing and venture sometime.
Ride safe, Kurt

RoadRunner322
09-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Heck, the whole idea of a vibrating underpowered V-twin is to copy the Harleys that so many people love. The Venture Royal Star is a V4 with more power but styled to look like a Harley. I don't like vibration and I don't think I could ever buy another V-twin. But that's just me and my tastes usually run different from the majority. I do love the sound of a Harley with loud pipes.

Iceman1959
09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Just Finished my JD Power survey on what I thought about the Voyager, I had to be honest and gave it extremly low marks for most of the questions that were asked. Basically I wouldnt buy another one and would go back to a Goldwing if I had the chance. Well, maybe when this one is paid off.

Kodiakmac
09-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Just Finished my JD Power survey on what I thought about the Voyager, I had to be honest and gave it extremly low marks for most of the questions that were asked. Basically I wouldnt buy another one and would go back to a Goldwing if I had the chance. Well, maybe when this one is paid off.

I drove a friend's GW a few years back and I must admit it was very smooth and powerful. And I would have to say that the quality of fit and finish was great. However, I did not like the footspacing and placement, and I just don't like the looks.

I guess I've just been lucky with my '09 Voyager. I never found the engine heat as unbearably hot as some guys did, mine doesn't vibrate bugger all, and other than the antenna falling off and the engine surging problem post-startup, so far I lke it.

Would I buy another one? No. But I won't be buying any other large bike again.

Please KZ...a 12-1500cc bagger...pretty please????

KURT
09-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Well I have now rode 4 bikes. Goldwing 1800, Ultra classic, 1700 Voyager and Yamaha Venture. Just about as mixed up now as before I rode them, all bikes have good and bad points.
Ultra classic, pros:
nice low end power
smooth after your rolling
nice seat with over all comfort
handles good

cons:
shakes alot at idle (I know there suppose too)
not as much top end punch, but descent
price, even used ones

1700 Voyager, pros:
handles good
affordable
The dealer I like sells them.

cons:
felt the engine pulsating more than all other bikes
shifted a little harsh
not crazy about the seat, a little cramped

Goldwing 1800, pros:
power, power, power
smooth, smooth,smooth
nice seat, especialy passenger
handles great
shifts great

cons:
no v twin sound, I like the rumble of v twins
seating position, I like the cruiser style with back rest.

Yamaha Venture, pros:
handles good
very smooth at all speeds
shifts good
probably has good top end, (didn`t have a chance to go real fast)

cons:
was hoping for more low end (I thought it had a little less than my 1500 classic)
did notice more engine heat on both feet, actually kind of hot. (had tennis shoes on, but
did when riding all bikes, maybe would be okay with work boots.
price, unless you find a left over or used.

Just not sure what I want yet. Had a nice 80 mile ride tonight on the 1500. Only would like to have a radio, full fairing and cruise someday. It`s fun to look as well. Still like the shaft drive and 5 speed compared to belt and 6 speed. Just my thoughts, RIDE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!

Slow Ride
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I like my V2K, but have you thought about looking at a Victory? I rode a Vision 2 years ago and I was very impressed.

Cactusjack
10-06-2010, 12:47 AM
At Cyclefest '10 in Scottsdale last April, I rode both a 2010 Voyager and a 2010 Electra Glide Classic an hour apart. To be honest, the rides were surprisingly similar. Ergonomically, both bikes felt about the same. The EG shook at idle, but once you turned the throttle, it was real smooth. The VV didn't seem to have much vibration at all. Both had clunky transmissions. Both ran on the "hot" side, with a lot of heat coming from the right hand side. Maybe this particular Voyager in the original post has a vibration issue, I don't think it's typical of them.

Kodiakmac
10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
...I rode both a 2010 Voyager and a 2010 Electra Glide Classic an hour apart. To be honest, the rides were surprisingly similar. Ergonomically, both bikes felt about the same. The EG shook at idle, but once you turned the throttle, it was real smooth. The VV didn't seem to have much vibration at all. Both had clunky transmissions. Both ran on the "hot" side, with a lot of heat coming from the right hand side. Maybe this particular Voyager in the original post has a vibration issue, I don't think it's typical of them...

My thoughts/observations exactly.

mavagrand
11-11-2010, 07:51 PM
SChecked out a voyager today. I own an 08 harley electra glide which I believe the voyager is attempting to emulate. The bike was metallic red and very pretty. The fairing is a little odd looking to me...don't like those nodules on the side.she lifted up off the jiffy sdtand ez enuff ezier than my bike. The seat seemed comfortable and I like the retro dash. I then noticed the fairing is frme mounted like a road glide....kinda cool. At the back 2 things stood out...the tourpak and saddlebags seemed flimsy and I noticed the antenna rubbed on the lid during opening and closing. What the heck...who designed that. Overall I felt the bike was not put together well and won't take any of harleys customers. IMO harley still makes the premier vtwin bagger. Now about that goldwing I saw.....

Suze711
11-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I looked at one today when I was picking up my clutch cable...It's a good looking beast!! I would like a bike like this someday!! VERY nice!

Matt7even
12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Keep in mind that you are also paying around 5 grand less then a new Ultra Glide. I know many Harley hardcores may not think much of that but personally I can live with only decent fit and finish for what else you get at that price range.

Matt7even
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
SChecked out a voyager today. I own an 08 harley electra glide which I believe the voyager is attempting to emulate. The bike was metallic red and very pretty. The fairing is a little odd looking to me...don't like those nodules on the side.she lifted up off the jiffy sdtand ez enuff ezier than my bike. The seat seemed comfortable and I like the retro dash. I then noticed the fairing is frme mounted like a road glide....kinda cool. At the back 2 things stood out...the tourpak and saddlebags seemed flimsy and I noticed the antenna rubbed on the lid during opening and closing. What the heck...who designed that. Overall I felt the bike was not put together well and won't take any of harleys customers. IMO harley still makes the premier vtwin bagger. Now about that goldwing I saw.....

Sorry forgot to add quotes on my last reply.....

Keep in mind that you are also paying around 5 grand less then a new Ultra Glide. I know many Harley hardcores may not think much of that but personally I can live with only decent fit and finish for what else you get at that price range.

Matt7even
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Finaly rode a 2010 voyager today. Went for about 8 miles on the interstate
between 65-75 mph and also rode a side rode with some sharp curves. Thought the wind protection was very good as well as the handling at slow
and high speeds. Loved the radio and cruise. Shifting seemed loud and harsh but shifted okay. Now for the downside. When I got back to the dealership the salesman asked. "Well what did you think?" I looked at him and said I hate to tell you this but I liked most everything except for the vibration and shake. It was very noticable at all speeds and in any gear, my
1500 classic is much smoother. He thought for a second and said. "you are the 5th one to say the same thing about this bike". If you have one I am sure you will enjoy it, but It`s not for me unless they can smooth that motor out in future models. He said kawi is comming out with 13-14 new models but didn`t know of what yet.
RIDE SAFE, KURT:)

I have a Nomad but also test rode a Voyager as well. I've never noticed any excessive amount of engine vibration on either bike for a V-twin. The only time the bike has ever felt "shaky" is when riding in choppy cross winds but the ride it's self is pretty smooth once you have the suspension dialed in. I would probably take another test ride and see if you notice a difference or not.

nomad99
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Gota say I have a 2010 vv and put 22,000 mls on it ,I have a 60mph rattle sounds just like a front pulley,they checked bearings everythings good.Went to 3 dealerships and had them ride it at 60 nope cant hear it!!!I can deffinetly hear it over the radio on setting 18!!! took it to a independent bike shop they drove it and said "exesive belt drive noise mech,told me loudest belt drive hes ever heard on a bike!! Jee whats up with that?? I to have had it with Kawasaki in general they were there threw the sale and left me in the dirt a few times on this bike. Gone next year,lookin at the new road Glide ultra!!! Thanks kawasaki for horrible sevice,thanks for the brush off when I owe 15,000$ and need help! Your dealerships Ive went to suck and dont want to be bothered with problems on a new bike.Again Thanks