ZX14 needs new boots, whadya say? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

ZX14 needs new boots, whadya say?

trikebubble
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I got around 12000km from the Conti Road Attacks and will need new tires before next spring. (I'm embarrased to say that I did not ride enough to burn through a set of tires this year...but that is another story) I was very pleased with the Road Attacks as far as handling goes, and while i'm not necassarily looking to get more mileage from a tire I'm thinking maybe a dual compound style will last longer before flattening out. I can really notice the loss in performance and handling charecteristics since my rear tire has started to flatten out.
I'm looking for a good performing tire that also has decent mileage to it. Performance and handling are definately a priority over longevity...to a point.

The concensus on the ZX14 2009 tire poll seems to point towards the Michelin Pilot Road II as the overwhelming favorite.

Any thoughts or feedback as to what I should be considering. Our riding is a mix of touring and "spirited" mountain riding.

Thanks.

Bubba68CS
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been very happy with my PR2's. On my second set now...so we'll see how well they stack up to the first...but if its the same, I'll likely keep spooning them on.

Csteely
02-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Shinko's! This is a Korean company that bought out Yokohama designs. The tires are dual compound, reasonably prices and I have no issues with distance or going through mountain twists!

rbentnail
02-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Shinko's! This is a Korean company that bought out Yokohama designs. The tires are dual compound, reasonably prices and I have no issues with distance or going through mountain twists!
IMHO Shinkos aren't worth the cost. You got some specifics of tire model, price and longevity to back that up? I've tried 1 Shinko tire- the Advance 005- on the rear of my FJR. Stuck like glue but cords were showing at 3000 miles. I'd buy them again if I could get them for about $60 but that's not gonna happen.

RoadRunner322
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
The 04 Concours I recently bought has a dual compound tire on the front and the wear pattern is really weird. There is a high strip of hard rubber about 1" wide sticking up in the center of the tire. Makes the bike feel like the tire is under inflated in the corners.

trikebubble
02-15-2011, 09:21 PM
After a lot of thought, I think I am going to go with the Michelin Pilot Road 2's. They are the most popular tire over on the ZX14 forum, and above all else I want to have confidence that the tires I choose will stick going around the corners. I thought about the Conti Motions based on the very low price...but some of the reviews don't seem to match what I want to put my tires through.

I'll be pulling the trigger in early March, and just need to find a good online place ot get them from. (Tires up here generally cost twice what I can buy them from across the line online)

maximumegg
02-15-2011, 09:38 PM
After a lot of thought, I think I am going to go with the Michelin Pilot Road 2's. They are the most popular tire over on the ZX14 forum, and above all else I want to have confidence that the tires I choose will stick going around the corners. I thought about the Conti Motions based on the very low price...but some of the reviews don't seem to match what I want to put my tires through.

I'll be pulling the trigger in early March, and just need to find a good online place ot get them from. (Tires up here generally cost twice what I can buy them from across the line online)

Have you seen the PR3?
A friend of mine just put one on the front of his st4. Pretty crazy looking, but it seems to work well in the rain.

linky (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/new_products/122_1101_michelin_introduces_the_pilot_road_3_spor t_touring_motorcycle_tire/index.html)

trikebubble
02-16-2011, 01:26 AM
Have you seen the PR3?
A friend of mine just put one on the front of his st4. Pretty crazy looking, but it seems to work well in the rain.

linky (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/new_products/122_1101_michelin_introduces_the_pilot_road_3_spor t_touring_motorcycle_tire/index.html)

Yes, I've seen that they are available. They seem to be more expensive than the PR2 though.

Csteely
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
I put on the Shinko Raven 009 model in May 2010. Have a zzr 1200 that is a daily driver for me and mostly Highway (23 miles 1 way to work). Have about 5000 miles on them and no cords showing, still have a lot of wear on them, but I am not that hard on the bike overall, again a daily driver for me from about april to october.
From what I know the Adavance 005 are stickier and are more for racing. So I imagine the cords would be showing. I am happy with the 009s!
and they cost 212 for a set installed so I cant *****..

texrider
03-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I have a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2's on the shelf, waiting for when I finish off the stock Bridgestones on my Connie....:mrgreen:

maximumegg
03-12-2011, 12:53 AM
I have a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2's on the shelf, waiting for when I finish off the stock Bridgestones on my Connie....:mrgreen:

That's a bunch of bike for that tire. -Really nice sticky skins that inspire lots of lean and minimal chicken strips, but they do have a short lifespan. Texas heat won't help much. Don't plan on getting more than about 3k out of that Q2 if you ride it hard or loaded up with gear.

Sledder
03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
here is a link to one of the wholesalers that the dealers in US use for a supplier trike:

VIEWING TUCKER ROCKY PUBLICATION PAGES (http://www.powersportrider.com/CGI-BIN/ZCATJPG?catpub=ST0211C)

I believe there is a conti road 2 now as well. Just something you could look through. The prices if listed here are full retail. This is a wholesaler,you don't order from them,you get a dealer to...this is just a showcase so that you can tell a dealer a TR part number,etc. Just something more to shop from.

Spyglass
05-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Any tire can develop a flat spot in the center of the rear tire. Heavy wrist, wrong air pressure, excessive weight, to many straight highway miles, etc. The ZX14 is a tire eating monster if you let it off of its leash. I have tried numerous tires over the years on different bikes. Sometimes what works and feels right on one bike doesn't seem to work on another. Bike weight and suspension play a part. I like an aggressive sport tire that welcomes the twistys, but can hold up on a couple of trips (2 one week trips each year) with a little weight load.

As for the ZX-14, I hated the stock Bridgestone tires so much that I took them off after 1000km. Put a set of Michelin Power Pilot CT2 on. I like the concept of a dual composite tire (hard compound in the center, sticky rubber on the sides) The Michelins did not live up to the hype. Feed back was average. Wear was not as good as I had hoped for. The flattened out fairly quickly. Got under 8000km out of them.

I am running a set of Dunlop Q2 right now (have about 5000km on them). Great feed back, stick well, and so far no sign of a flat spot. It will be interesting to see how the look and feel at the 8000km mark. While I would love to entertain the idea of getting 10,000km+ out of a set of tires on my ZX-14. I accept that you have to give up life and mileage for a little traction.

Spyglass