2010 Voyager Transmission Noisy and Clunky [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2010 Voyager Transmission Noisy and Clunky

ickabodaikin
10-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I bought a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager in August. I have about 1300 miles on the bike. My main complaint is the clunky first, second, and third gears. Way too noisy for a bike marketed as the Flagship. I would not have purchased the bike had I known of the transmission.
The new 2011's advertise new first gear ratio and improved taller teeth on 3 and 4. They advertise quieter and smoother. What I want to know 1) is it really improved? 2) can I get my 2010 updated??
Otherwise, I am happy with the bike.

RoadRunner322
10-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I test rode a 2001 Voyager that was in great condition and one thing that really turned me off on the purchase was that the transmission was very noisy. So, things have not changed. I also read somewhere that Kawasaki uses straight cut gears because they are more durable but are noisier than helical cut. So, console yourself with the fact that the transmission is tougher with noisy gears.

kawboogie
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, my 2010 Nomad has a great deal of gear noise, and the 1st to 2nd shift is almost violent. Other than that, I love the bike and just hope I live long enough to get the Vance and Hines slip-ons delivered, as I'm on the 2nd backorder. These should help mask the gear noise. Mileage is running mid-30's and I took a trip a 300+ mile trip a few weeks ago. My butt never got tired, and the bike ran in Detroit traffic quite well. Just set the cruise on 80 (about where 6th gear gets good) and truck along.

As far as updating, this would probably be a "split the crankcase deal," if it's even possible (although I haven't read the service manual's tranny chapter yet). And I don't know how much, if any, improvement the 2011's are. I'd say you're stuck with the gear noise.

Now if they would just fix the defective ECU whose invisible forcefield attracts rain clouds whenever going on a trip.

waterbug
10-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a yamaha venture and they have the same problem and with them if you try different oils and weights that changes the noise. Only thing is we can have three ventures and each one will like a different oil to make it quite. I mainly use rotella in the blue bottle but just tried the blend and don't like it as well. Good luck.

rbentnail
10-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I have a yamaha venture and they have the same problem and with them if you try different oils and weights that changes the noise. Only thing is we can have three ventures and each one will like a different oil to make it quite. I mainly use rotella in the blue bottle but just tried the blend and don't like it as well. Good luck.

Glad to see you posted this. Most folks say I'm crazy when I tell them this but I've found it to be very true over the years.

usmalenurse
11-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I test rode 2 different Voyagers this year and that is the thing that turned me off about them. Both were very loud and very clunky upshifting and downshifting. The first one I rode was during Bike Week at Daytona and when I mentioned it to the Rep he said they "were designed like that because people wanted them to be more like Harleys". I kid you not....this is what he told me. I would experiment with the oil and see if that will quieten it down some. I'm using Mobil One synthetic in my 1500 Classic and also in my "new" '97 Voyager and it has helped them out....