1993 zr1100 transmission problem [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

1993 zr1100 transmission problem

1993zephyr
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a 1993 Zephyr 1100 with 30,000 miles on it. The bike is in great shape and it's been well taken care of. Recently it started "popping" back into first gear every time I shift into second and let out the clutch. It only happens when power is applied (letting out the clutch) and only in second gear. I can shift past it to third and it's fine. I thought I remembered reading about this problem on these bikes some time ago, but I don't remember where.

The book I have just says to try changing the trans fluid, which I did, but I still have the same problem. If anyone could tell me anything about what I might be looking at to have it fixed I would really appreciate it. I love the bike and really want to get it back on the road.

rbentnail
11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I have a 1993 Zephyr 1100 with 30,000 miles on it. The bike is in great shape and it's been well taken care of. Recently it started "popping" back into first gear every time I shift into second and let out the clutch. It only happens when power is applied (letting out the clutch) and only in second gear. I can shift past it to third and it's fine. I thought I remembered reading about this problem on these bikes some time ago, but I don't remember where.

The book I have just says to try changing the trans fluid, which I did, but I still have the same problem. If anyone could tell me anything about what I might be looking at to have it fixed I would really appreciate it. I love the bike and really want to get it back on the road.

First, welcome to the forum.

Now to your problem. My experience is from an '04 1500 but it sounds a lot like yours. Finicky 2nd gear. It starting out being "tight" but got worse fairly quickly. Sometimes grind a little downshifting from 3rd. Sometimes difficult to get thru neutral to 2nd upshifting from 1st. Sometimes 2nd wouldn't "catch" all the way and it would pop back into neutral.

If this is the case you really have to soul search into how much you love this bike. The repairs will prolly cost 3x what it is worth. On my bike it was a bent shift fork and worn gear dogs. Roughly $2300 in parts and labor. Then take it back 2 or 3 times to get them to repair the coolant and oil leaks.

I hope someone with more detailed experience comes along to help you out. Good luck.

GREENISBEST
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I must agree My first thought is a Bent Slector Fork.....

1993zephyr
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I was afraid it would probably be something pretty serious, but I do love the bike and it is in beautiful condition other than this problem, so I'll most likely do whatever it takes to get it going again. I have asked around and have a couple of references to local shops, so when I have more info on what it turns out to be I'll post back. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

rbentnail
11-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I was afraid it would probably be something pretty serious, but I do love the bike and it is in beautiful condition other than this problem, so I'll most likely do whatever it takes to get it going again. I have asked around and have a couple of references to local shops, so when I have more info on what it turns out to be I'll post back. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

No problem, wish I could be of more help. I hope it works out well for you. And relatively inexpensively.

mmuch
11-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Good Afternoon,

I have suffered this issue twice over the last 3 years. My first ZR1100 had 93k highway miles on the odometer, and just starting jumping out of 2nd gear with the power applied. Finally had to park the bike, and was unsure what to do. I purchase a second ZR100 from Colorado and had it shipped to my home in California. Only had 25k on the odometer. I performed 6 moths of TLC, $ and rode it for 3 months before the bike also suffered the safe symptom of jumping out of second gear. So, I had to park this bike :(

I belong to a number of bike clubs and forums, and have asked many enthusiasts about this issue looking for information. I have restored and rebuilt about 20 motors over the years. Not an expert, but considerable experience deep within motors, carbs, etc. You just never know what the problem is until you disassemble and inspect. :)

I think your problem is the same as mine, and that is a bent shift fork. These motors are huge and weight about 200+ lbs. I suspect that there is no easy fix, and the motor has to come out of the bike. The toughest chapter (for me) is that the parts are not easy to source/locate. Purchasing used parts does not seem like a good option for this type of issue, but it is a possibility. As we know, these bikes were only made for a couple of years!

I have no intention of giving up on this beautiful machine. I will begin this project in the new year. As others have stated, it is a difficult $ situation and decision. This project could take ~ 6 months, but I don't want to pay $ 2500 and not really know what is going on in the transmission?

Good luck on your quest.

Mike

QUOTE=1993zephyr;2053925]I have a 1993 Zephyr 1100 with 30,000 miles on it. The bike is in great shape and it's been well taken care of. Recently it started "popping" back into first gear every time I shift into second and let out the clutch. It only happens when power is applied (letting out the clutch) and only in second gear. I can shift past it to third and it's fine. I thought I remembered reading about this problem on these bikes some time ago, but I don't remember where.

The book I have just says to try changing the trans fluid, which I did, but I still have the same problem. If anyone could tell me anything about what I might be looking at to have it fixed I would really appreciate it. I love the bike and really want to get it back on the road.[/QUOTE]

Golfer
03-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Hi Mike - I too have a ZR1100 (1992) that pops out of 2nd gear and have been trawling the Internet for solutions/spare parts. Not much success I'm afraid and no OEM parts can be found. I would be very interested in what you find out for your bikes. Cheers John

GREENISBEST
03-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Hi Mike - I too have a ZR1100 (1992) that pops out of 2nd gear and have been trawling the Internet for solutions/spare parts. Not much success I'm afraid and no OEM parts can be found. I would be very interested in what you find out for your bikes. Cheers John

John have you tried Cradley Kawasaki or Corby Kawasaki for your spares ?
Might be worth a call..

Cradley Kawasaki 01384-633455 (http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/kawasaki_motorcycle_parts_block_selection_M30.php? mod_01=99917-1524&year01=1992&ca=GB)
Corby Kawasaki 01536-401010 (http://www.kawasakiparts4u.com/)

Golfer
03-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi - thanks for your reply. I have previously bought from Cradley Kawasaki but the second gear output with dogs is the one which is no longer available. I will ring to see if they have any alternative solutions. I really like the bike and currently I have the engine out but unsure whether to split in case there is no solution. I guess from other forums it is unlikely to be a bent fork, but any advice welcome.. Cheers

mmuch
06-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Follow up on this topic and future project.

I researched the tip from another member (thank you) for Cradley/Coby Kawasaki. To my surprise they had 1 of the 2 shift forks, but not both. Shipping was pricey. Held off, but hopeful.

Again, I have not taken the motor apart. I kept looking, and secured the 3 total shift forks, OEM gasket sets, specific rubber, etc. There could be worn shafts, gears, etc. Truly never know until you take it apart and inspect! I have had much success with parts using the bike bandit website. Some EBAY links, but prefer OEM. I am into the parts total now for about $500.

I have sent out a number of the parts for chrome plating. I just finished a complete restoration of a 1978 KZ650 SR. It took 1 year. Close to burn out on this one, but the results are awesome.

I am currently recharging my battery to make the ZR1100 the next project in the shop.

I am pleased that there are some nice aftermarket parts that are available. Looks like mainly in England, Japan, and Australia.

The ZR1100 is a big beautiful iron horse, and I have enjoyed riding this bike for 15+ years.

ozyran440
10-29-2015, 02:39 PM
One thought comes to mind - has anyone looked to see how the ZRX and ZR mesh in terms of parts compatibility? It's not the best solution, but it is a possibility.

mmuch
11-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Delayed follow up....Responsibilities in life got in the way of this project.

Clear Failure analysis on this topic. Transmission drive dog gears worn. Not shift forks, or actual transmission gears.

I have 2 ZR1100's that suffered this dreaded "popping out of 2nd gear". No way around it, remove engine, and service the transmission portion of engine. This does not require the top end or crankshaft to be removed. You do have to split the cases...make sure you have the bike at TDC #1/4 pistons before you disassemble. The harmonic balancer needs to be installed @ to the #1 piston position!!!!!!

Robinson Industries Motorcycle Transmissions (http://www.robinsonindustriesinc.com/)

Here is the website for the New york based machine shop that I used to undercut all of the drivedogs on my transmission set. I had a great experience with Tim @ as he supports NHRA drag bikes with this service. I sent Tim both transmissions shaft assemblies complete. He evaluated and for $230 including shipping he machine undercut all 4 drive dogs. This cured my issue, although a ton of effort. The most difficult part was needing help to re-install the engine.