Touring Essentials [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Touring Essentials

Elmer
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Getting ready for the 2011 touring season. Here in Michigan we are still 4 months away and it was zero degrees F when I got up this morning but its never too early to get in the mood.

Do you carry a I.C.E. card? (In Case of Emergency) Is it up to date? I copied the PFD from AAA a couple years ago and keep it on my computer but I checked and it is still available to those that might be interested.
http://michigan.aaa.com/assets/files/Common/Global/PDFs/020110_PALL_PAR_InCaseOfEmergency_0210.pdf?zip=497 29&$P=

If you carry a list of any meds that you may be taking ... is it current? Writing it on that back of that I.C.E. card might be a good idea.

This weekend I got into my personal travel kit replacing a couple things I exhausted last season. Drug stores with shelves dedicated to travel supplies are fun to check out. Tiny bottles of mouthwash, tubes of toothpaste, floss, shave cream, shampoo are pretty cheap and sure beats trying to carry the larger volume containers. I picked up some small packets of laundry soap measured for used in motel sinks when light laundry duties are called for.

Today I got out the First Aid travel kit and went through it. Mine is a simple kit keeping within my skill level. The Adventure Medical Kit - ultralight .9 serves my purposes. I did add a couple things to it ... an eyeglass repair kit, Kershaw “TWOCAN” knife, and pair of bandage scissors.

Like the supplies in my medicine chest at home some of this stuff is prone to expiring. Pain killers, antihistamines, and anti-diarrheal meds have expiration dates. Fortunately my travel kit is newer than what I found in my medicine chest. One item in the cabinet expired May of 2004. At home I can always find a drug store on the road it may not be as readily available if I need it.

As Roy Rogers and Dale Evans always said: "Happy Trails"

:troll:

Elmer
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
As an afterthought to this post I started wondering how old some of the stuff in my spice rack is. I'm sure some of it reaches back into the last century.

rbentnail
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Personally I don't carry a first aid kit. IMHO it's pointless for me to carry one. I had one I carried in my vehicles from '90 thru '07 and never once used. Never. I finally threw it out. But I do carry rags, electrical tape, knife, etc. for other reasons so they're available if needed.

I too rather enjoy the drug store/Walmart travel sections. It's kind of a hit or miss thing but I'm always surprised a little by what I can find there.

Elmer
01-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I considered reducing the contents of my first aid kit but the package is lightweight and compact and the space saving wouldn't amount to much. I admit I don't carry the kit on rides amounting to just an overnight but on the longer tours it is always with me. Like you I used to carry one in my vehicle but I discontinued the practice many years ago.

What I struggle with now is carrying a small air compressor for the motorcycle tires. The last couple years I have left it behind. Although it is a compact unit it still takes valuable space and its relatively heavy. Perhaps this Spring I will add CO2 cartridges for an emergency tire inflation. Something to think about. I've always carried an air chuck in the saddlebag. I still see a few gas stations with air lines but seldom to I see a chuck attached. With the exception of that item and a few spare fuses I found the tool kit that came with the bike to be more than adaquate. There was one exception ...

I got into a deep erroded rut (channel) on a down hill grade. The bike shut down immediately. No way I could push the Nomad the 5 feet back up the hill to get out of the rut so I worked it through doing downhill another 15 feet. The reason the bike shut down was that I had scraped and cut the wire leading to the kick stand switch.

rbentnail
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I considered reducing the contents of my first aid kit but the package is lightweight and compact and the space saving wouldn't amount to much. I admit I don't carry the kit on rides amounting to just an overnight but on the longer tours it is always with me. Like you I used to carry one in my vehicle but I discontinued the practice many years ago.

What I struggle with now is carrying a small air compressor for the motorcycle tires. The last couple years I have left it behind. Although it is a compact unit it still takes valuable space and its relatively heavy. Perhaps this Spring I will add CO2 cartridges for an emergency tire inflation. Something to think about. I've always carried an air chuck in the saddlebag. I still see a few gas stations with air lines but seldom to I see a chuck attached. With the exception of that item and a few spare fuses I found the tool kit that came with the bike to be more than adaquate. There was one exception ...

I got into a deep erroded rut (channel) on a down hill grade. The bike shut down immediately. No way I could push the Nomad the 5 feet back up the hill to get out of the rut so I worked it through doing downhill another 15 feet. The reason the bike shut down was that I had scraped and cut the wire leading to the kick stand switch.

I do carry a small compressor and sticky string kit. I got the compressor off the walmart clearance aisle for $5 & removed it from its big plastic case. The whole kit, plus factory tools, plus additional stuff (tape, leatherman, knife, rags, spare fuses, etc.) all tuck nicely under my seat. Luckily since I put the compressor on the bike I've not needed it but a couple other guys have used it to get home.

Elmer
01-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Russ (rbentnail): Maybe I should reconsider the CO2 option and that is a "one shot deal". My son in Florida uses the sticky string kit that you mention and he has had good luck with it. Three times in the past I got a nail in the bike tire and all 3 times it was the rear tire. With one exception the nail sealed itself in the rubber with no air loss until I could get the tire replaced.

The 3rd time was the exception. I picked up a heavily corroded nail and overnight the tire went flat. Good time to learn how to use my tire plug kit. Having never done this before it took me 2 tries but the second attempt went flawlessly. Unfortunately it was still leaking several psi of air every day until I got this tire replaced. Most upsetting was that the tire only had about 5,000 miles on it but now the rubber is go to go on this summers out west trip. I just put "sticky string" on my shopping list. THANKS for reminding me ... Bob C.

whiting57
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
My spares kit includes front and rear tubes,
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bustin%20Bugs%202010%20Grand%20Circle%20Tour/DSCF2312.jpg?t=1296583761
I have AAA, getting a rollback to a tire place is easy, them having the right tubes is not. i have a small compressor first Aid kit, and a full tool kit.
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bustin%20Bugs%202010%20Grand%20Circle%20Tour/DSCF2313.jpg?t=1296583761

Add in 2 duffel bags of clothes, picnic hamper,rain gear, spare helmet,thermos, riding gear, 2 covers, cooler, beer,wine, pop and water,
Level 1
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bustin%20Bugs%202010%20%20Packed%20and%20ready%20t o%20roll/DSCF2370.jpg?t=1296584532

Level 2

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bustin%20Bugs%202010%20%20Packed%20and%20ready%20t o%20roll/DSCF2371.jpg?t=1296584532

then the spare oil, cleaning gear and cloths for the bike

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bustin%20Bugs%202010%20%20Packed%20and%20ready%20t o%20roll/DSCF2373.jpg?t=1296584816

The only reason we didnt have the kitchen sink was because the g/friend decided it did not match the bike.

How much of this stuff did we use over 2 weeks / 6000 miles, all the clothes and riding gear, 1 turn signal buld from the spares kit, both covers,all the cleaning gear, pop, water , beer and wine, the picnic set, first aid kit, what did i not use, spare helmet, AAA, air compressor and oil . Would i bring most of this stuff again, yep, i hve got the room, why not. Now when Im on my sprort tourer ... well thats a different ball game.