Thoughts on 06 Concours [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Thoughts on 06 Concours

grumpy56
02-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Don't know much about sport touring bikes, but can pick up a 2006 Concours with less than 10K miles and with a top trunk for $5K. Bike is blue and is in real nice shape (althugh it could use a good detail). Have never ridden one and I am particualry interested in the vibration level (for the wife). She won't ride my H-D because of the vibration and likes the old KZ1000 except on the freeway where the passenger pegs vibrate pretty good. Any comments on this scooter, particularly the vibration level, are appreciated.

RoadRunner322
02-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a 2004 Concours and it doesn't vibrate at all. About all I've ever heard about these bikes is a little vibration in the handlebars. I haven't felt it on mine. They are great bikes. The only drawback in my opinion (I'm 66) is the semi-sport bike riding position that puts some weight on my hands and keeps my feet up sort of high. And they are heavy and very top heavy. The dry weight is 597 lbs. With 7.5 yes 7.5 gallons of gas up top and coolant and oil it probably weights 660 to 680 lbs curb weight. If you slow to turn into a parking space and have to stop, the bike will fall over and there is nothing you can do about it because it is so top heavy. If you are an experienced rider which I am not, it may not be a big deal to you. With the fuel capacity and 40 to 50 mpg, they will go over 300 miles on a tank much like a car. They are durable and long lasting. I've read of them going over 200k miles. The engines tend to not burn any oil. With 100 hp they are plenty fast except for the speed demons! The fairing offers great protection from the elements and the seat is wide enough for long trips. All around it is the best buy on the road in my opinion.

grumpy56
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Roadrunner. That is alot of good information and makes me want it even more!!!

greg58
02-17-2011, 09:34 PM
I have been thinking of getting one of these bikes, they seem like a bargain on the used market.

Greg58

grumpy56
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
They sure do appear like a bargain don't they? I talked to a guy just today who has a 2005 version and he bought it brand new (I think in 2007) for $7600 out the door here in SoCal. I guess that is one reason the resale value is lower than you would expect it to be for such a nice scoot.

RoadRunner322
02-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I caught someone who wanted to sell and bought my black 04 last September in very good condition with 21k miles for $3k. It does need tires soon. The wife is trying to get me to sell it after I dropped it twice in a parking lot pinning my right foot under it the second time and breaking my second metatarsal in my foot. I didn't have boots on like I should have. The trauma caused blood clots in my lower leg that I initially ignored when my lower leg started swelling. I ignored the break too at first. I went to a podiatrist 3 weeks after and I didn't need a cast but he saw the swelling and I ended up in the hospital for a day taking blood thinner injections. This happened 3 months ago and my foot is not quite back to normal and I'm still taking blood thinners to make sure the clots are gone and don't come back. Old Fart just can't take it like I use to! Ha! I haven't ridden it since but I do start it and run it until it warms up about once a week to keep the carbs from plugging up. Oh, my foot broke the lower cowling and that cost about $230 for a new one. The bike is fixed. I'm not quite fixed!

RoadRunner322
02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
They sure do appear like a bargain don't they? I talked to a guy just today who has a 2005 version and he bought it brand new (I think in 2007) for $7600 out the door here in SoCal. I guess that is one reason the resale value is lower than you would expect it to be for such a nice scoot.

Kawasaki made the bike for 21 yrs (86 through 06) without changing it that much and it kept the cost down. About 93, they made some minor changes that included upgrading the brakes and somewhere along they put a wider rim on the front.

grumpy56
02-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Sorry to hear about those med issues RoadRunner. I'm an old crapper too (54) and I know about the bloodclots. I'm in pretty good shape and woke up one day in the summer of 2008 with my right calf swelled up to 3 times its normal size. Got the blood test, ultrasound, and bingo in the ER with a BIG blood clot before I knew what was happening. Took Warfarin for about 6 months. Never did figure out what caused it and have been OK since. The youngsters are gonna get irritated by this old man med talk. Ah the innocence of youth........

greg58
02-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Roadrunner how tall are you? I am 6' and am wondering if the bike is easier to handle for a taller rider. 7.5 gallons is a lot of weight up high.
My KZ1000P has a low center of gravity, so it never feels top heavy and it is suprisingly nimble in low speed manuvers.

Greg58

RoadRunner322
02-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Roadrunner how tall are you? I am 6' and am wondering if the bike is easier to handle for a taller rider. 7.5 gallons is a lot of weight up high.
My KZ1000P has a low center of gravity, so it never feels top heavy and it is suprisingly nimble in low speed manuvers.

Greg58

I used to be 6'. Now, I'm about an inch shorter. You back tends to shrink when you grow older. I have a 29" inseam so my height is in my body. I can put my feet on the ground flatfooted sitting on the bike. I'm also 250lbs and I'm built like a football player. I used to be strong. I still exercise and I feel like I'm stronger than most my age. The problem of falling over when stopping in a slow turn is common to all big bikes. It's just a little more pronounced in the Concours because it is so top heavy. And I think the geometry of the front is much like a sport bike and this makes it a little worse. I've ridden a 2006 Goldwing that was easier to handle around town. It's a matter of getting used to it I suppose. I haven't ridden it that much. I working a temporary job in Homestead FL and my home is in NC. I fly back an forth every couple weeks when my wife isn't here. So, I don't get the chance to ride it that much. I've only put about 300 miles on it since Sept. A tipover bar is available for it to keep it from going all the way down. It's tough to pick up when it is laying flat. The first time it fell I tried really hard to pick it up and my lower back popped causing a lot of pain. I thought I was ruined. My wife helped me pick it up. If you go to the Concours Owners Group board, you will see they have a section for riders to tell about their dropping their Concours. I had not ridden a bike before that was this easy to drop and I wasn't prepared for it. I suspect I will be more careful and not drop it any more not that I know about its tendencies.
Take a look at this.
Slow Speed Maneuvers - Back to Basics (http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/riding/BTB-slowspeed.shtml)

http://www.youtube.com/v/oFWelHXueQE?f

The 2nd video is a C14 police bike. It weighs about the same as a C10. I think the gas tank is a little smaller so it may not be as top heavy. Don't know. But that cop can ride one in a parking lot for sure.

grumpy56
02-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey Roadrunner if you get a chance post soe pics of your CB900C. I know this is a Kawasaki forum, but those early 80s Hondas were about the best looking "custom" bikes made in my opinion. Friend had a 900C and another the CB1000 which I think they only made one year. Nice scoots.

RoadRunner322
02-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey Roadrunner if you get a chance post soe pics of your CB900C. I know this is a Kawasaki forum, but those early 80s Hondas were about the best looking "custom" bikes made in my opinion. Friend had a 900C and another the CB1000 which I think they only made one year. Nice scoots.

I've had the CB900C for about 20 years and I've never taken a picture of it. It's in NC I won't be going back for a couple more weeks. I'll try to remember to take some pictures. Mine has a full Hondaline fairing. I think it is the same one the Goldwings had that year. I haven't run it in over 7 yrs. A carb was flooding and pouring gas on the floor of my garage the last time it was run and I just have not taken the time to get it running. I bought the 85ZN700 when I was working in Wisconsin 2 yrs ago. It was in some farmer's barn and only had 1058 miles on it. The owner passed and his 55 yr old nephew put it on craigslist. Then I hauled it to FL when I came down here to work a yr ago and then I spied the Concours for sale. My wife accused me of collecting bikes! Hey, it could be worse I've only paid $5,200 for all 3. I could have bought a new Goldwing for $20k.

klx678
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM
"My wife accused me of collecting bikes! Hey, it could be worse I've only paid $5,200 for all 3."

Or you could have blown it in a bar. I always tell people it keeps me out of the bars!

eromo
04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Where did you get parts for the fairing ?? I dropped my as well.
Ed Romo

RoadRunner322
04-29-2013, 09:20 PM
I bought the factory parts from a dealer. Many dealers sell parts at a discount on line like Bike Bandit, Carolina Cycle, Babbittsonline. You can look up the parts on the factory microfiche. You can even buy the screws.