1984 GPZ 900R [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

1984 GPZ 900R

johfar
02-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Thinking about buying a GPZ 900. The guy only wants 1000$. Downfall is he said there was a little rust in the gas tank, but it has been sitting for 2 years. He said it ran before and it should now. Only question I have is that to high of a price? What should I do after cleaning out the rust in the gas tank?

RCW
02-18-2011, 10:34 PM
First, do not start it with rust in the tank.

There are a number of tank sealing products that are compatible with alcohol blend gasolines, and most motorcycle shops carry at least one good brand. Follow the instructions on the material.

You will need to completely clean the carburetors, and likely will need to rebuild the diaphragms and replace the float valves. Price in the costs of those parts and whatever labor beyond yours that is necessary.

To determine the bike's value try KBB.com and your local Craigslist.org for the going price.

I would normally expect to pay around $900, less the cost of parts for a project bike like you describe. I would price the four diaphragms at $118 each - $472, with shipping; the float valves at $20 each - $80, with shipping, and the tank repair at around $200 by the time you get it cleaned and coated. That would value the bike at under $150. That only works if you do the labor yourself, farm it out and you will be upside down.

johfar
02-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Well he said he wants 1000$ for the bike, thats what he bought it for. Said if he couldn't get that he would let it sit. Would really hate a nice bike like that just to sit for another 2 years..... Never did carb work on a 4 stroke, but have on a 2 stroke. Is there really anything that big of a difference's I should watch out for? For the float valves i will need 4, ebay is selling this packet that says " Ninja carb repair kit, includes: one float needle, one float bowl O-ring, one pilot air screw, one spring for pilot air screw, one washer for pilot air screw, one O-ring for pilot air screw, one blind plug for pilot air screw", will I need to buy 4 of those, or is everything there I need? ( Thinking 4 since it does say only one float needle.)

MFolks
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Before spending money, read this about replacing the starter clutch:
z900 (http://z900.piczo.com/-gpzenginework?cr=5&linkvar=000044)

glazuna
03-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Hello dear Kawasaki enthusiasts! I'm not sure if bumping an old thread is something i will get crucified for, but it sure seems better than opening another one.

So in short: I've always wanted this bike ever since I can remember, but unfortunately where I live there aren't many of 900Rs, I think there are 8 in the country total at least that's what i was told.
So one popped up on the internet for sale.
It is a 1984 A1 with a production number of ninethousand and something... What i do know about it is that everything except exhausts is original, those I will have to source out myself.
It has 60k miles and It was ridden by the same woman for 30 years, because she and her husband were bikers all their lives. So this may be a good start. She wants 1400$ for it. (mind that only 8 are in my country so this will increase the price a bit)

But it still makes me doubt that a 30 year old bike with 60k miles will serve me well. I do not mind servicing it on the outside as far as brakes, fluids, filters and stuff like that goes. But I'm definitely not that keen on taking the engine apart and replacing pistons, valves and stuff as I'm not a mechanic but i do have a bit of experience with my current bike GPZ 500S on which i did a lot of work, but never that much inside the engine apart from adjusting valve clearances...

If the owner says that nothing has been done and it worked well 'till now should I walk away since 60k would probably be nearing a major engine overhaul time?
Sorry but I'm really confused as some people say not to worry and others say that it is basically at the end of it's life and would need a huge financial investment.

killer rabbit
03-24-2016, 11:36 PM
Still do not have enough info here to determine value. Are all the body parts intact and in good shape paint and scratch wise? If so, those parts alone are worth the $1000. Do you have any info on the engine condition at all? If compression is reasonably good then that is a long way down the road right there. Tires, brakes, fork seals, chain, stuff like that are easily dealt with. What about all the electrics? I picked up one of these last year and am in the middle of an overhaul, primarily bodywork/repainting and a headlight wiring F-up by the previous owner. I paid what I consider too much but the end result will be collectible to say the least. As far as tank rust, look into "Evapo-rust" instead of tank lining. If you get it, expect to completely go thru everything that has gas flowing thru it, from the tank to the intake manifold, before you can expect to have a running bike.

glazuna
03-25-2016, 09:04 AM
I will get to see the bike next weekend so I don't know yet the exact condition. Will report on it then.

Any particular thing to be especially careful of?
What compression range is satisfiable on 60k mile 900R?

Thanks,
Glazuna

killer rabbit
03-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Factory shop manual states 134 psi - 206 psi. Do not expect that on a cold engine, but they should all be within about 10 psi of each other. If you warm up the bike using a clean source of fuel then you can look for values within the spec. values. If the engine has not been run for a long time, put a little low viscosity oil in the cylinders first and dry crank the engine a bit, then fire it up if you want to warm it up. Most sellers won't want to wait around while you do all this so I have usually taken a chance on making sure the engine is not seized and better yet can at least run.

glazuna
03-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks yeah I'm certain the engine isn't seized as he's selling it as fully functional bike and it was kept in a garage not a barn or smth... But it might have stood as much as a year...
Will report when I'll get to see the bike and then decide..

glazuna
03-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Ok so here's an update. I did hook up the date to get this bike checked, but the owner admitted that this 900R had stood for 5 years. A problem ???.
I've also learned, that battery is shot, (obviously lol), carbs need a lot of attention, back tire is worn out...

killer rabbit
03-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Battery, carbs, tires are normal maintenance items, no big deal. If it runs on a clean fuel source and goes thru the gears and all the electrics work and the bodywork is intact and he has a clean title what more can you expect from a 30 year old bike? Especially one that will be as collectible as a Vincent someday?

glazuna
03-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Battery, carbs, tires are normal maintenance items, no big deal. If it runs on a clean fuel source and goes thru the gears and all the electrics work and the bodywork is intact and he has a clean title what more can you expect from a 30 year old bike? Especially one that will be as collectible as a Vincent someday?

Yeah i was more afraid of something getting seized, since condensation inside the engine could lead to valves or piston rings getting stuck to the walls of the cylinder.
I'm going to check it out for sure as I really want the bike, but I already know that Tires need replacing,battery, exhaust (for originals), carbs will probably need a rebuild now that it stood. That alone will cost me in upwards of 600$. I hope I can deal the bike to around 1000$ otherwise it might not be worth it, since nice running originals can sometimes be found for 2-2.5k$

killer rabbit
03-31-2016, 01:51 PM
I'm assuming you will do your own work, if not, and there is anything moderately major going on, pass on it, as it will be a money pit.

glazuna
03-31-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm assuming you will do your own work, if not, and there is anything moderately major going on, pass on it, as it will be a money pit.

I'm only capable of doing work outside the engine itself, never did anything more than valve adjustment, but I'm capable of fixing the rest on the bike...
I will see how it is, but will definitely not going to risk anything. Thanks :)

killer rabbit
04-04-2016, 01:43 PM
So...did you get it?

glazuna
04-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Well i was kind of disappointed, although I didn't expect a stunner, it was far away from even being decent... The only honest thing about this bike was that it was nearly complete. The exhausts weren't original and the inner panels inside the front fairing were missing, but other than that it was complete.

Now apart from that it stood 5 years and the owner did fire it up every year, the carbs were still far too dirty for a startup.
Inside of the tank was heavily rusted, I'm talking very darkish brown inside. Exhaust manifolds are actually original but rusted all over. The seat turned into a hard plastic instead of being soft leather, right side fairing is cracked and just fixed with rough primer, not even painted. Paint on the engine is pealing away and it's in overall sad state. Most of the bolts are rusted and wiring is hanging all over the place.

The final decision has been made. I will save up more and get a better one next season. Hopefully the prices won't go much higher as even now prices of A1s are sometimes redicilously high, but i think 3k would fetch me a very nice example

killer rabbit
04-04-2016, 04:25 PM
A pity, good hunting!

lucasind
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
By your last installment to this thread ,as of your last description...You made the right decision by passing on this one , As mentioned above, this LIKELY would have turned into a "money pit" as well as using up all of your spare time .

glazuna
04-06-2016, 04:07 PM
By your last installment to this thread ,as of your last description...You made the right decision by passing on this one , As mentioned above, this LIKELY would have turned into a "money pit" as well as using up all of your spare time .

Today I got a chance to check another one. It ran very nice but it was not in a good cosmetic condition. Seat was torn, switches and handlebar plastics were all faded and turned white, it was painted in black with the paint already cracking.. He offered me warranty for it, free service if anything gets broken. But I'm really not looking for a budget pocket rocket but a nicely kept example so I can be proud of it :neutral:..
Was kinda sad as this is probably the best mechanicly sound in my small country but the cost of restoring all the cowlings would set me up big...

The bike itself costs 1600€, respray would probably be over 700€, restoring the black faded plastics would easily get to 200€
Fixing the exhaust manifold (silencers are fine) which is rusted, another 100€

so 2600€ for a bike might be worth looking into but then again a bit more money gets me an imported one which is already in great shape:???: