Talk me into or out of a Voyager/Vaquero [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Talk me into or out of a Voyager/Vaquero

Slow Ride
04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
I have read a ton of reviews for all the major players, H.D.; Kawasaki; Victory; Yamaha; (Honda not so much no interest in a wing). Tell me about your Voyager good bad, convince me this is the bike I want to spend my $ on. I road a Victory about 2 years ago, while on vacation. It was very smooth.

My current ride is 2006 vn2000.

Ride Safe.

Thanks.

trikebubble
04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Never ridden one, but I did sit on a Vaquero at the bike shop last week, and it felt very good. I'm 6'2" and my old V2K fit me like a glove (as cruisers go), and the Vaquero actually felt pretty well sized. I personally loved the look too. Again, can't comment on the ride quality or anything like that, but ergonomics wise, it seems pretty close.

Slow Ride
04-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I thinik I just have some wishfull thiinking. I really like the ride on my v2k. If the v2k had a fairing and cruise I wouldn't look for anything else, but I just want some of those things. Maybe I'll win the powerball tonight. Thanks Trike.

idmtchris
04-24-2011, 02:05 AM
They are beautiful, but you will find it cramped and probably under powered. But it is new and shiney show just do it.

fuji
05-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I rode the Vaquero (twice) during Daytona demos. Nice bike but it doesn't match my 2010 Harley Road King for smoothness, comfort or fit and finish. Also, the Vaq has borrowed heavily from Harley styling cues. If you like the look always go with the original.

KURT
05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been looking at the HD`S real closely lately for their #fit and finish". I don`t agree that their quality is any better. The HD`S do smooth out very nice after take off. The HD`S bags are a little stronger feeling only because they are so darn small. The top boxes on both have some flex to them when opened but both seem strong enough. Just my 2 cents, can`t go wrong with either bike.

fuji
05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
So what did you decide? No wrong choice in this group

Highwayman2011
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I bought the Voyager. I read all the reviews, looked at bikes such as HD,BMW,Gold Wing,Victory,Yamaha. The Voyager was the best value for me. The only complaint I have is it's heavy, but that goes away once you start moving. The Vaquero might be a good compromise between a full dress and a cruiser.

Slow Ride
05-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm still thinking about it. and probably will be for the next year. I want a new bike I just don't want new bike payments, taxes etc. I have the v2k set up with a trunk, and have thought about bags or a trailer for it, but haven't pulled the trigger on either of those either. I just have to make sure I stay out of dealerships and I should be ok. I told my wife today I was going to go look at the Vaquero, then I would have the bagger for me and the v2k with the trunk for us. She didn't see any humor in that statement at all. so for now the v2k will have to do, unless I get the opportunity to get to the dealership next week. HA!!

DaveMc
05-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Fuji wrote: "Nice bike but it doesn't match my 2010 Harley Road King for smoothness, comfort or fit and finish. Also, the Vaq has borrowed heavily from Harley styling cues. If you like the look always go with the original."

Just wondering why you are a member on a Kawasaki board and your posts recommend Harleys when someone asks about buying a VV. If you don't like Kawasakis, then why not just go hang out on the Harley discussion boards?

"Borrowed heavily from HD styling cues" -- you mean both brands have two wheels, or both brands have handlebars, or both brands use a v-twin engine?

Do you really think the VV/Vaq fairing looks like a Harley fairing? Does the VV/Vaq have the primary drive on the right or on the left? Can you not tell the obvious difference between the rounded VV/Vaq bags the squared-off Harley bags? Does the dashboard on both bikes look at all similar? Just exactly what about the VV/Vaq shows "Harley styling"?

Smoothness? Is that something you have measured?

Gimme a break.

Slow Ride
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I had about half an hour to kill today while out on the road, so stopped by a dealership about 150 miles from home. he had 2 Vaqueros in stock, 1 red and 1 black. Now I have seen the photos and videos, they don't do these bikes justice. I an not a red bike kind of a guy, but in the sun the bike looked really good. I didn't have a chance to look them over in detail, but on the saddle bags at the bottom they put on a reflector. ( Jeeze Kawasaki, what are you thinking?) You have some great looking bags, I know I used to have a Nomad, and you throw on the ugly reflector. Do the engineers at Kawasaki ever sit down and just talk with people who ride their bikes? Nope apparently not. I've been riding a Kawasaki since I bought my 99 Nomad, and they never ever ask you what your thoughts are. Too bad, they could pull in a bigger share of the market if they would just talk to and listen to people who ride.

fuji
05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Fuji wrote: "Nice bike but it doesn't match my 2010 Harley Road King for smoothness, comfort or fit and finish. Also, the Vaq has borrowed heavily from Harley styling cues. If you like the look always go with the original."

Just wondering why you are a member on a Kawasaki board and your posts recommend Harleys when someone asks about buying a VV. If you don't like Kawasakis, then why not just go hang out on the Harley discussion boards?

"Borrowed heavily from HD styling cues" -- you mean both brands have two wheels, or both brands have handlebars, or both brands use a v-twin engine?

Do you really think the VV/Vaq fairing looks like a Harley fairing? Does the VV/Vaq have the primary drive on the right or on the left? Can you not tell the obvious difference between the rounded VV/Vaq bags the squared-off Harley bags? Does the dashboard on both bikes look at all similar? Just exactly what about the VV/Vaq shows "Harley styling"?

Smoothness? Is that something you have measured?

Gimme a break.

Well, let's look at the original title: Talk me into or out of etc... So isn't the original poster asking for opinions on the Kawi AND other products?

I belong to a Kawi board because I own a ZX-11 and until a few weeks ago a 2009 ZX6R, which I traded for a 2011 GSXR 600. I believe the GSXR is a superior bike (though this may offend your brand sensibilities). But even if I didn't own a Kawasaki, would that invalidate my membership? I enjoy all motorcycles.
I rate motorcycles by how they perform, not by who makes them. As for my comments on the Harley, it's called consumer feedback - not partisanship. I have ridden the bikes in question and am passing along my opinion/observations. For the record, I currently own nine motorcycles, including Kawi, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Harley. I've owned many European brands too. (What's your ownership experience?) I'm going to demo a Ducati Diavel tomorrow. I ride as many different motorcycles as I can to educate myself. You need to gain some adult perspective and realize that criticism of a product you like or own is not a personal attack.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/boscoe49/DownloadedFile-1.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/boscoe49/images-8.jpg

As for the bikes looking alike, see for yourself. Yes, there are differences. But the Kawasaki imitates the Harley look. This is deliberate because the Harley set the design standards and is the class leader in sales. The bags are a design cue taken from Victory cruisers. And it's not just me who says this about the Victory and Harley design cues on the Kawasaki. Read the Cruiser mag review and the comparisons in other magazines. Kawi wants to capture a slice of the "American" cruiser market. Nothing wrong with this.

Lastly, you never said if you have ridden either motorcycle or any motorcycle. So your comments on vibration - or lack of it in these machines- appear invalid. So to quote you:
Gimme a break, boy

DaveMc
05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, let's look at the original post: "Tell me about your Voyager." I was asking why you see fit to openly recommend another brand on a Kawasaki forum when the poster asked about Voyagers. From your post it appears that you do not own a Voyager, so does that mean your recommendation would "appear invalid"? You own a Kawasaki sport bike, but you want to tell others why not to buy a Kawasaki cruiser?

Also, I was simply pointing out that your so-called criticisms are vague, ambiguous statements that are not likely to help anyone answer the original question of what are the good things and bad things about Voyagers/Vaqueros. If you don't like the bike I ride, I lose no sleep over it. Criticize it all you want. I joined this forum to learn from the experiences of other Voyager riders.

texas rider
05-19-2011, 07:33 PM
i currently ride a 09 nomad . i've had both h-d's road king and this nomad . the technology is years apart. the kawa's my vote for dependability and value.

Highwayman2011
05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
+1. Looked at the Harleys and they look the same as they did 20 years ago and still no water cooling to make the engine last.

Slow Ride
05-21-2011, 06:32 PM
I am still up in the air about which way I am going to go. I like things about both H.S, and the Voyagers. It is like everything else, you get the closest you can to your ideal. My opinion everyone makes good bikes, you just have to decide what you are willing to pay.

OhSteelerfan
05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I just picked up a 2009 voyager with 3101 miles a week ago. I have only been able to put about 250 miles on it do to all the rain. My last ride was a 900LT and this is a hugh improvement over it. I love the cruise control on the voyager ... it works perfect. The air ride is very nice and this bike very comfortable on the highway. The trany is very clunky. I hope when I change over to synthetic it will help. The low end power is just down right terrible. My 900 seemed to have more get up. Midrange power is the best and top end is lacking. Also there is alot of heat that is put out of this 1700. The stereo is lacking a cd player and the quality of sound is not even close to a HD ultra classic. It can be heard nicely at highway speeds it just not a premium sound. I do like the look of the fairing and its nice to have all the storage. It may be mechanically better than the ultra but the ride is not as nice.

wbilotta
05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
The radio reception is downright terrible on the Voyager. The radio stations wash in and out, lots of static. I've been working on mine trying to improve the reception, no luck so far.

One thing I've noticed is when the antenna is vertical the reception is bad but if I bring the antenna down to a horizontal elevation the reception improves. Also, touching the metal antenna bracket with my hand improves the reception. In the trunk there is a formed metal bracket that attaches to the antenna mounting screws and then to a bolt under the plastic trunk liner. My bike doesn't have one of these, just a thin piece of wire. Talking w/ the mechanic at my dealer we surmised Kawasaki must have run out of the brackets and substituted the wire. I had the dealer order the bracket and I'm hoping this will help the FM reception but I'm not holding my breath.

The Ipod sounds great and I'm sure XM radio would sound great also but with the short riding season here in Illinois it's not worth it to purchase an XM subscription.

I did upgrade the speakers to Polk Audio's and I'm considering installing an amp. The factory radio will put out a max of 20watts per channel but that comes with 5% THD. Installing a quality amp would help the sound quality I'm sure but would not help the FM reception issues.

Highwayman2011
05-26-2011, 07:50 AM
I took the small grounding wire off the antenna and the reception improved a lot. Before this I could scan for stations and only got the strongest ones. I got the Kawasaki communication set up, the helmet speakers work great and no amp needed. Plus the intercom is nice if your passenger wants to chat. Hope that helps.

Slow Ride
05-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Stopped in to the local Kawasaki dealer, he has a 2010 that I can take out for ride, possibly later today. It is the silver/black nice looking bike. What are you guys getting for gas milage on your voyagers?? thanks

djh3
05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
I have some of the same questions and have enjoyed the read. On the radio thing. I put a Bat Wing faring on my 900 and went with one I could put a radio in. Orginaly I got a marine type radio (for weather resitance) and it had a CD player in it. Well it lasted a little over a month I think, so radio #2 went in, again a heavy duty type-2 days and was inop. So I went with a small radio off e-bay and an amp and it still goes strong years later. Anyways the jist of the story is I dont think a CD player is the way to go. Then you have to lug them and find storage. With an MP3/Ipod you flick a button. And you dont have to worry about some creaton stealing your CDs.
I really liked the Voyager at first, got to sit on one in Daytona @ bike weeks. I'm 5'6" and felt maybe a little short on the both feet on the ground thing but it might have been the stand it was on. I have since looked at the Street Glides (way pricey and the bags seem smallish) and my current favorite the Victory Cross Country. I got to ride on in Dec and it was sweet. Seemed smoth all the way through the gears and didnt even need 6th til about 70. Part of my backing off the Voyager is while the trunk would be nice for around town and over to the in-laws I'm not sure on a long trip it would work well for the wife and I. Typicaly I have here pack her stuff in a firstgear roll aboard bag (same size as a roll on suitcase) and attach it to the luggage rack/sissy bar. I put raingear in one of the saddle bags and I get whatever room is left (usually not much) lol. So I dont know if the trunk would be a happening deal.

DaveMc
05-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Stopped in to the local Kawasaki dealer, he has a 2010 that I can take out for ride, possibly later today. It is the silver/black nice looking bike. What are you guys getting for gas milage on your voyagers?? thanks

Until the engine is well-broken-in (about 10,000 miles), gas mileage might not be as good as you expect. I just got back from a 2400 mile ride and I got between 42 and 48 mpg, but my bike has over 12,000 miles on it.

texas rider
05-29-2011, 08:40 PM
a 2400 mile ride /? **** your back is in much better shape than mine . but , yes i agree , my bike has a little over 6500 miles on it now it is starting to get a little better mileage on each long ( for me ) ride i do. a lomg trip for me is about 300-400 miles and usually thruogh a lot of small towns . so that lowers my mpg's a little. right now i'm getting average 38 miles to when it was new only about 32 mpg . still i'm happier with this touring bike than any i've had so far .

Slow Ride
05-31-2011, 07:12 AM
djh3, just an FYI: A trunk isn't great around town, but I've run a trunk on my bikes, a 99 Nomad and now my
V2K pretty much sine about 2001 Once you go with a trunk, tour pak; you will like the convenience. I don't always like the way the tour pak looks on the bike, but the convenience works well in just being able to throw something in, and the wife likes the security of the back rest on the tour pak. Ride Safe.

Slow Ride
05-31-2011, 07:17 AM
I did't get a chance to ride the Voyager the other day and this week it wont work until toward the end of the week if at all. I did ride a 2011 HD Road Glide Ultra. It was nice, the fairing makes a huge difference so much calmer in the cockpit than with just a wind shield. It handles very well, much more responsive than the V2K, The ride was different, not uncomfortable but different. But **** the price , man the price. The good thing is the V2K works just fine right now, I am looking but it's not like I have to get this done tomorrow, although that would be fun.

djh3
05-31-2011, 08:23 AM
I have had bikes with trunks before. Yea the security is nice. But for us the drawback is packing. Like I said I dont think the stuff we take would fit in the attached bags etc. Heres a pic on the Blue Ridge from a couple summers ago. Raigear in right side saddle bag, Her clothes in the big bag on bottom, mine in roll up bag, light jackets, change of shoes for her in left saddle bag. Oh and the tank bag had sunglasses, wallet, snacks, maps etc.
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/17394561/sn/685929299/name/IMG_0513.jpg

Slow Ride
06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Well I made a choice. My truck is going down hill so I am going to replace it. ****. The good thing is the V2K is very capeable and runs well. The bad thing is I wanted a new bike. Ride safe.

rbentnail
06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Well I made a choice. My truck is going down hill so I am going to replace it. ****. The good thing is the V2K is very capeable and runs well. The bad thing is I wanted a new bike. Ride safe.

Whew! **** the bad luck but at least you're being practical about it.

Slow Ride
06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Whew! **** the bad luck but at least you're being practical about it.

it is only because riding a bike in Nebraska in the winter all winter is not an option. I could buy a $500 car and new bike, but well I am sure I would get stuck somewhere. I imagine I will go with this plan and get a new pickup. I am probably going to whine about this for a long time before I get over it. The good thing is , there is nothing like a V2K. I do grin when I ride it.

2WheelFun
06-26-2011, 08:38 PM
it is only because riding a bike in Nebraska in the winter all winter is not an option. I could buy a $500 car and new bike, but well I am sure I would get stuck somewhere. I imagine I will go with this plan and get a new pickup. I am probably going to whine about this for a long time before I get over it. The good thing is , there is nothing like a V2K. I do grin when I ride it.

I agree and you do have one the best bikes made (as cruisers go). Maybe toy with the idea of buying some upgrades for your V2K that will help settle you and not feel like you've been cheated having to buy a new truck instead.

Today my sweetie and I had 2 sport bike riders puzzled as to how in the world we were keeping up with them as they opened it up to leave us behind. It was a priceless moment to say the least! :)

theaudidoc
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
get the voyager.....you can allways remove the trunk to get the vaquero look.....plus you get faring lowers on the voyager.....win win

Slow Ride
07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I bought the F150 Supercrew. I think I can be happy with the V2K a while longer it really is a great bike. I am on the road a fair bit and I am seeing more Voyagers on I-80. It seems like every time I've seen one I havent been able to talk to them about thier bike. It is good to see a few more voyagers on the road.

rbentnail
07-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I bought the F150 Supercrew

Pics man! We gotta have pics.

mkelley
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I think I can be happy with the V2K a while longer it really is a great bike.
Ever seen a V2K with a fairing and some Corbin beetle bags? The Voyager riders would be looking at you!

Slow Ride
07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Ever seen a V2K with a fairing and some Corbin beetle bags? The Voyager riders would be looking at you!

yeah but holy smokes the fairing is about $1700 by the time you get it painted to match and on. That is a heap of money. I'll keep thinking about it until I can't help my self any more. then something in my little pea brain will explode, then my wife will be mad for a while.

tooeagle
07-17-2011, 12:04 PM
I just picked up a 2009 voyager with 3101 miles a week ago. I have only been able to put about 250 miles on it do to all the rain. My last ride was a 900LT and this is a hugh improvement over it. I love the cruise control on the voyager ... it works perfect. The air ride is very nice and this bike very comfortable on the highway. The trany is very clunky. I hope when I change over to synthetic it will help. The low end power is just down right terrible. My 900 seemed to have more get up. Midrange power is the best and top end is lacking. Also there is alot of heat that is put out of this 1700. The stereo is lacking a cd player and the quality of sound is not even close to a HD ultra classic. It can be heard nicely at highway speeds it just not a premium sound. I do like the look of the fairing and its nice to have all the storage. It may be mechanically better than the ultra but the ride is not as nice.

I know this is an older post, but couldn't help but ask. Are you stillhaving these issues? I couldn't disagree with you more regarding your power comments between the 900 and the voyager. I went from the 900 classic to the voyager and it's like going from an old volkswagen bug to a cadillac! If you are having power issues, there's something wrong. Mine is a 2010 but they're basically the same. I am curious, are you still having these problems? (I agree with the heat issue, and the clunky tranny, but this is just the nature of the beast, or so I've been told- and the noisy engine/tranny is my only complaint)

nomad99
10-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I wont convince you of anything,but as you put it Ill tell you about my VV 2010. Nice at first, fell in love with it up to about 10,000mls now having some issues as I turned it over to 23,000.The issues are extreamly load engine noises,clicks and clacks and soforth,drivetrain noisest belt Ive ever heard on a bike,fading cheap emblems that show the cheapness of stickers! Just overall noisy engine and drivetrain,was great till the miles added up! sounds like a half track or a tank goin down the road,Allready tried to get ride of it,but cant ,owe to much on it! owe 15890 blue book at 9,000 depreciation on this bike sucks big! Next ride will be the Road Glide ultra.You can bet your life Ill not own anymore Kaw products,dealers no help either,there mostly 4wheeler shops that happen to sell bikes and jet skis total disatisfide with this bike cant wait to get rid of it! hope this helps!

tooeagle
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Better be careful, you'll de-value all of our bikes with comments like those! :) Anyway, What is VV? Is that a typo? or is yours the 2000 cc version? I've heard that the 2000 are pretty much junk (engine and tranny wise). But honestly, I am really enjoying my bike now, more than ever, especiall since I put a decent set of tires on it." metzelers". may have mentioned this before, but the engine noise and tranny noise (not the shifting clunk) is almost completely gone now since I've been using rotella 10w40 and 10% Lucas. I got this tip from a independant motorcyle mechanic (no more dealers for me!) who I had look at this about 2-3 thousand miles ago.

Also, you know the best way to enjoy a ride on a noise bike? Ear plugs. I'm really surprised I don't hear of this more around the boards, but using ear plugs almost completely shuts out the wind noise for one, and when I do get engine noise now I can barely hear it. All I hear is a gentle rumble of the v-twin and maybe a song or two frm my helmet speakers. It works really great. Plus, it'll help put the sound of that noisy, clunky engine out of your head. Also, in case someone reading this is worrying about being able to hear sirens and other vehicles -. You still hear them fine - just don't stick the plugs in too far.

ChromeGuy
10-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Its a tad bulky and I didn't like the hi center of balance. Also seemed a little cramped compared to my V2k.

nomad99
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
The value in the kelly blue book is 9.000$ it is what it is! ''VV'' Is Vulcan Voager! I use 15/40 Rottela oil every 4000 mls.I need to find a good bike mech, the dealers I go to make me wonder if they know what there doing, I had many problems with them and as I said im going to look elsewere for service. When you can hear your belt and pulleys over the radio somthin aint right, they have misaligned the rear axle and had the belt to tight,I bought my own jack to raise my bike and ajust my self! Im thinking the bearings are shot in the front pulley,just have to prove it ! I have the extended warranty. I think they run the belt way to tight on these bikes and the damage might be allready done!

tooeagle
10-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Oh, yeah - that was dumb (vv). And all bikes depreciate like that. Even harleys. There's so many of those around. I don't know how to determine if any noise I hear is belt or which is pully or whatever. But the noise I was getting is coming from the engine or tranny. But it's all serviced by the same oil. And I, too don't have any faith in the dealer I bought my bike from which is where I was having it serviced. I'm seeing an independent now, and he does warranty work with many different manufacturers. The problem I've seen with using the dealers service is that they won't go out on a limb or take a lot of time troubleshooting, because Kawasaki won't pay them time for troubleshooting, only repairs. I'm guessing the owner of the dealership here spends his profits as fast as he makes it instead of putting into the business. So that's a big problem. I hear many other manufacturers handle it the same way. They just don't have the money behind them (apparently) that car dealers do.

It sounds like you need to take your bike into an independant shop - one that will honor your extended warranty. Obviously something is not right, as you say.

Wild Rice
04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok... I'll weigh in as well. First.. it's always good to get input from ALL brand riders.. whether you own a Kawasaki model or not. The only brands I've owned/ridden are Honda (in the 70's) and now Kawasaki... 1600 and '11 Voyager 1700. The bike is currently at the dealer for the 600 mile service. (825 miles actually). They are keeping it until they can replace the right side controls, as a 'safety issue'. The Cruise Control and Trip meters NEVER worked.... so they are replacing them under warranty.

Otherwise.. I LOVE the bike. It's very comfortable... easy to ride.. a tad constricted with the 4" shorter wheel base.. but will get used to that. After adding the (grasshopper) back rest and highway pegs to the crash bars... it's extremely comfortable. I'm having AMSOIL put in for this first oil change. As it did on my 1600 classic.. I'm sure it will smooth out the shifting and probably add to the MPG (currently 35). The seats seem comfy... I've ridden it up to 150 miles non stop. I'm sure, once the seat is broken in.. it will be even more comfy. I have NO problem with the audio system. It brings in all the local stations... and with the IPOD application, I can listen to whatever I WANT.

Final analysis... and remember this is IMV (Irv's Myopic View) as always... I'd recommend this ride to anyone looking for a full bagger with ALL the bells and whistles... at a VALUE price. (I bought a NEW leftover '11 for $15,200... without any haggling. Good Luck on your final choice. Whatever you choose.. RIDE SAFE!

tooeagle
04-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Wild rice - You didnt say whether your 2011 has the ABS - and for anyone thinking of getting one of these I strongly recommend spending the extra bucks for it. It's well worth it. My 2010 was just a little more than what you paid, including the ABS. I've never had any problem (fixable) with mine, except there was a recall on the fuel delivery system. Also, speaking of Amsoil, I've tried that and other synthetics in boats, cars, and motorcycles over the years because I too fell for all the advertising hype and sales pitches. But never ever have I seen any improvement in gas mileage. Further, I've never noticed any improvement in the noise or clunky transmission in my bike by using it. I have, however, noticed an improvement by using a 20% mixture of Lucas with my oil. (recommended to me by an independent motorcycle mechanic). The one thing synthetics might do however that dyno oil won't do, is keep from breaking down so quickly by the heat these engines generate. It does seem to hold up better between changes. Other than that, in my opinion, you're throwing money out the window. (just my opinion) If there is an improvement in gas mileage, it's negligible at best. But, obviously, people should just do what they are comfortable with.

Oh, and I might add. Speaking of your 600 mile service? My dealer (who I will never return to) failed to do the inspections that are part of the maintenance schedule. All they did was change the oil - that's it. So, I strongly suggest setting a trap as I did, to keep these service guys honest, and make sure that not only you get the service you pay for, but make sure the important stuff gets done. Because I found out the hard way their thinking (my dealer, anyway) is "what the customer doesn't know about, they can't complain about", and "all customers are idiots"....... :(

Don't trust your lives to dishonest and irresponsible motorcycle dealers or their service managers and mechanics!. Most of the service on these things is fairly easy, so I suggest investing in a shop manual, and doing as much of the work yourself as possible, assuming you are somewhat mechanically minded and have some spare time.

a99miata
04-24-2012, 02:29 PM
take a ride on a Cross Country Tour...

djh3
04-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Miata-I did Thats what got me into this mess. lol I wanted a CC really bad but I neede to have some place to live too. So I ended up with a Royal Star Venture.

Stoney1371
04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I bought an '09 Kawi Voyager 1700 ABS when it first came out. The sixth gear makes hiway ridin' a real gift! Electronic Cruise Control works great.
It is, however, the HOTTEST **** machine I've EVER jumped on, and there are about 12 of those. Even the heat shield recall parts don't make ANY difference. The only sound I hear in July and August, at a long red light, is the sound of my sperm count crashing.
The only real drawbacks, besides the heat, are the complete lack of accessories for it (the ones I have, I've adapted to fit) and the total impossibility of mounting wide whitewalls on it...they simply don't exist. Front - no problem, rear...forget about it.
The bike I had prior, which I traded for the Kawi, was a '98 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux - NICE machine. Kinda regret losing it.

djh3
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Stoney- Man that makes me feel good :))

wbilotta
05-13-2012, 08:53 AM
I have a 2010 and I also believe the bike runs too hot. What I can't understand is why one 104 cu.in. engine would run hotter than another. Even with extra fuel from a fuel processor to help tame the lean factory programming the bike still runs hot.

bernieatlas
07-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Vaquero underpowered? Compared to what? I just moved from a 2003 Wing which I rode and loved for 8 years. My 2011 VAQUERO is far from underpowered.

djh3
07-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Yea I cant see underpowered either if someone said that. Shoot the motors bigger then my first car had. 66 VW

bernieatlas
07-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I think the beginning of my reply got lost somewhere, so here goes again.
I had the opportunity to buy a Road King, Street Glide, Road Glide, or any one of those similar HD bikes, but opted for the Vaquero. Price had nothing to do with my decision. The trials and tribulations of all my HD - owning friends is what made up my mind. So many of them have HD for all the wrong reasons..marketing being the major one.
And just by the way...Harley does not OWN the styling cues. The fact that many of their styles go back decades makes them public domain by now. The only thing distinctive and really compelling is the potato-potato-potato sound...which I do like a lot.
Having said that, I had the chance to switch bikes for about 100 miles with a friends ElectraGlide Classic, just after I purchased my Vaquero. It really reinforced the fact that my decision to buy a Vaquero was the right decision. No contest in my mind.

tooeagle
07-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Whoever said these are underpowered probably are comparing apples to oranges. Perhaps comparing the power band on a rice rocket vs a big street cruiser. No doubt the rice rocket will blow the 1700 cc kawasakis away, but it's a different type bike and a whole lot lighter.

bernieatlas
07-28-2012, 12:24 AM
The value in the kelly blue book is 9.000$ it is what it is! ''VV'' Is Vulcan Voager! I use 15/40 Rottela oil every 4000 mls.I need to find a good bike mech, the dealers I go to make me wonder if they know what there doing, I had many problems with them and as I said im going to look elsewere for service. When you can hear your belt and pulleys over the radio somthin aint right, they have misaligned the rear axle and had the belt to tight,I bought my own jack to raise my bike and ajust my self! Im thinking the bearings are shot in the front pulley,just have to prove it ! I have the extended warranty. I think they run the belt way to tight on these bikes and the damage might be allready done!
You are 100% right about belt tension...way too tight from the factory. I loosened mine off to 1 1/2 marks in the slot at 10 pounds pressure (it was less than 1 mark to begin with). Before, the howling from that belt at 40-50 KPH was unbearable. After the adjustment the noise disappeared and the bike now shifts smoother...it is a different and hugely better bike.

djh3
07-28-2012, 12:31 AM
A couple of observations while I was shopping for a bike in 07. I looked at sportsters and someothers the C50 and when I found the 900 Kawi part of what caught my eye was wheel base. Same this time around while shopping for a touring bike. The Electra, Street, Tourglide line of bikes look big. And well are but if you look at the wheel base and talk to some folks that have rode 2 up for awhile on them they will tell you theres not alot of room between driver and passenger. My Venture has alot of room and when we tested the Voyager same thing. Enough room so when shifting gears or stopping and such your not banging helmets. Also the longer wheelbase makes for a smoother ride. I liked the styling of the Vaquero but from just sitting on it I could tell it was going to cost me $5-600 for a seat right off the bat. I like the styling of the fairings for those bikes though.

ACMCguy
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Pro's : I have been to Laughlin River Run, Vegas Bike week, and multiple other So Cal runs. Out of the 1,000's and 1,000's of bikes we have seen on these runs I have NEVER EVER seen another vaquero on the road. It feels like I own the only one in the world. It's nice to not have the same bike as everyone else.

Con's : Custom look harder to achieve

IMO

20k miles in and I still love her

Vaq Now
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
I have a 2011 vaquero and I have had trouble from the begening from oil leaks to head bearings to intake manifold air leaks all fixed out of my pocket. I sent 3 e-mails to kawasaki before a rep called me and we went through every problem I have had with my vaquero. And told him if I was not underwater on it I'd trade it of for anything other than a kawasaki this was my last kaw. He said let me do what ever it takes to make your bike right and make you happy with kawasaki. First he offered a new front fender that I spent money on touch up paint to fix it. I said a new pair of driving lights installed free and what ever it takes to permanently fix the intake manifold leak I told him about the forums Im on and the only true way to fix the leak. Is to machine the manifold back flat and grind down the standoffs to let the throttle body and intake manifold mate properly. Then fix the leak at the intake ports gaskets. And he keep me on the phone and called the dealer I took it to who found the leak fixed it and a week and a half it leaked again.I took it to the dealer and printed off the fix racnray did to fix his leak and the service manager also the head machnic said he wanted to read the stuff he said it helps him learn things and he had heard of ray before. So I will see this time if they get it right we will see buy the end of the week.

djh3
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
VAQ Now- I'm pretty sure the lemon law is in play on motorcycles also. Three strike rule. If you take it in to dealer to get the same thing fixed 3 times and they fail you got grounds. If you have taken it in for the oil leak 3 times and its still leaking, they really aint fixed nothing have they?

Bluemeanie
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I have a 2011 vaquero and I have had trouble from the begening from oil leaks to head bearings to intake manifold air leaks all fixed out of my pocket. I sent 3 e-mails to kawasaki before a rep called me and we went through every problem I have had with my vaquero. And told him if I was not underwater on it I'd trade it of for anything other than a kawasaki this was my last kaw. He said let me do what ever it takes to make your bike right and make you happy with kawasaki. First he offered a new front fender that I spent money on touch up paint to fix it. I said a new pair of driving lights installed free and what ever it takes to permanently fix the intake manifold leak I told him about the forums Im on and the only true way to fix the leak. Is to machine the manifold back flat and grind down the standoffs to let the throttle body and intake manifold mate properly. Then fix the leak at the intake ports gaskets. And he keep me on the phone and called the dealer I took it to who found the leak fixed it and a week and a half it leaked again.I took it to the dealer and printed off the fix racnray did to fix his leak and the service manager also the head machnic said he wanted to read the stuff he said it helps him learn things and he had heard of ray before. So I will see this time if they get it right we will see buy the end of the week.

Please let me know how things go with that vacuum leak. I'm trying to get them to fix the leak on mine for the second time. I wrote a letter and hand delivered it to them at Bike Week on Saturday so we'll see what happens.

Bluemeanie
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
VAQ Now- I'm pretty sure the lemon law is in play on motorcycles also. Three strike rule. If you take it in to dealer to get the same thing fixed 3 times and they fail you got grounds. If you have taken it in for the oil leak 3 times and its still leaking, they really aint fixed nothing have they?

In some states the lemon law may apply to motorcycles. In Florida it doesn't, and don't ask how I know.

Vaq Now
03-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Update dealer has put me off for a week sats he will start on it monday and should be done depending on what kaw wants to do with the intake air leak. I still have the number to the vp i think who sent me an e-mail saying we will do what ever it takes to fix it and make me happy. He may get a call this week hope not i will be po and call the bbb.

Vaq Now
03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
If you want to help stop the heat from the vv you need the big 3 and wrap the head pipe and paint it with high temp paint I jusd a whole can on my vaquero and works great. Made the motor quiter lsee lifter and valve noise is will help alot.

SgtWilliam
06-15-2013, 06:37 AM
I just bought a voyager down here in Texas City and I love it. I too did a lot of research but of coarse I've had several KW including an 09 classic LT I traded in. The voyager has same engine and runs just a smooth but with a lot of style and looks that turn heards especially the gry/blk ABS model. I can find no problems with this bike except it's a ton when turning slowly. I've told my wife I'm trip riding this year if it hair lips every cow in Texas but I had to agree to have a rider. So my friend find a dealer that'll let you take the test model out and ride ride ride, You'll love it.
Wild Bill...

rbentnail
06-15-2013, 07:16 PM
"Hair lips every cow in Texas" :shock:? WTF, over :lol::lol:.