my 2006 Nomad is screaming/whining at me!! help!! [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

my 2006 Nomad is screaming/whining at me!! help!!

jerimcgill
05-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi all! I recently purchased a used 2006 Nomad with 17,000 miles on it. It has been running beautifully (once I learned how to manage the "knocking"). Yesterday she "screamed" at me on the freeway. I found that when I was right at 76 mph she would scream and then it would subside (or not) as I increased my speed. If I backed off the throttle it would stop. This continued to happen every time I reached about 76 mph. Then later in the day it did the same thing at around 50mph in town. If I increased or decreased my speed the scream or whine would stop but then would start again when I was at that certain speed (either about 50 mph or 76 mph). Any input on what might be happening would be very appreciated. I love this bike and sure hope I can get this issue resolved easily. thank you!!

Bahlzeron
05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Where is the sound coming from?, if it's belt drive the belt might need adjustment.. could also be stator going out.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

jerimcgill
05-22-2011, 06:22 PM
It is hard to tell where the noise is coming from. It is direct drive. I notice no difference in performance at all, just the high pitched scream/whine. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum!

rbentnail
05-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Try checking your tire pressure. Don't use the Kawi values, they are way too low. Look on the tire sidewall for max pressure, subtract 2 or 3 psi and pump' 'em up.

jerimcgill
05-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Thank you Russ,

I will try that. My boyfriend says it sounds like a "tuning fork" and feels it isn't mechanical. I live in Arizona and it is getting hot here. Seems it happens once the bike has been on the road for about half an hour and has heated up. Sure appreciate your input!

sfair
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
How many miles on the bike? Have a lot of them bee highway?

Post back.

jerimcgill
05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
As I said, it has 17,000 miles on it and yes, I believe most of them have been highway miles.

sfair
05-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but by the description of your symtoms, your bike may have a failing bevel gear bearing. What happens is the bearing wears causing the bevel gears to run out of alignment and then they howl.
The howl comes from the lower left side, the lump that is just ahead of the driveshaft tube.
If this is the problem, it will slowly get worse until the bevel gears themselves may be destroyed.
It is a fairly involved repair with some adjustments that must be checked.
I recommend that you get a proper diagnosis before riding anywhere so that the repair can be done as soon as possible or the bearing can be ruled out and then one can look elsewhere for the fault.

Please post back if you have any questions.

jerimcgill
05-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies to my problem. I took my bike to the shop and the problem has been solved!! Lucky for me it was nothing more than a loose sissy bar that would vibrate at certain RPM's and make that weird noise. A few turns of a wrench and the noise was gone. They didn't even charge me for their time. I am now a very happy girl!! Ride safe!!!

sfair
05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
You are one lucky person as the way you described the symptoms matched the beginning of a bearing failure! If the sound comes back, my advice still stands.
Glad you got it fixed.

rbentnail
05-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies to my problem. I took my bike to the shop and the problem has been solved!! Lucky for me it was nothing more than a loose sissy bar that would vibrate at certain RPM's and make that weird noise. A few turns of a wrench and the noise was gone. They didn't even charge me for their time. I am now a very happy girl!! Ride safe!!!

Well alrighty then, that was simple enough.

Nomadinator
05-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Glad that got remedied! Welcome aboard!

DHACK666
05-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Silly Girl

JK

Bahlzeron
05-31-2011, 07:03 AM

Glad to hear it was something so simple.

jerimcgill
06-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks all! Was quite the relief that it was something so simple!! Now if I can just figure out how to keep my bike from burning my inner thighs when idling at stoplights I'll be that much happier! It nearly blisters me it gets sooooo hot! Any suggestions?

DHACK666
06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Put pants on and don't ride with shorts.

jerimcgill
06-08-2011, 03:04 PM
oh my goodness!!! I NEVER ride in shorts!!!!!!! I always wear jeans. The heat is so hot it is burning my legs through my jeans.