Tires for Vulcan Nomad 1600D [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Tires for Vulcan Nomad 1600D

usart1
07-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I have been going through the stock Bridgestone 170/70B16M/C75H (rear) and 150/80/16 (front) like Grant took Richmond... VERY QUICK. They are a bias ply tire. Will the Dunlop E3 180/70-16 radial work for my rear? What E3 would work on the front of my ride. I have used the E3 on an 1800 Honda I had and got really good performance and mileage out of them, or would you suggest a different type style? I do allot of long distance rides?

Thanks

safetynet
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I have been going through the stock Bridgestone 170/70B16M/C75H (rear) and 150/80/16 (front) like Grant took Richmond... VERY QUICK. They are a bias ply tire. Will the Dunlop E3 180/70-16 radial work for my rear? What E3 would work on the front of my ride. I have used the E3 on an 1800 Honda I had and got really good performance and mileage out of them, or would you suggest a different type style? I do allot of long distance rides?

Thanks

Let me know what you ended up with, i am getting all sorts off conflicts on trying to order other brand tires from differnet vendors, i got the metzler front and back 150/80 16 on front and 180/70 r16 on rear this is my second set, they wear to fast for me 5,000 tp 6,000 best i get, i want to move on to the Elites or Venons but do not know what to use, venon has one for the rear but not front, Elitle has one for the front but not back, just does not make any sense talking to these vendors...

usart1
07-12-2011, 07:59 AM
I FOUND RADIAL TIRES!!! I found Dunlop radial tires size 170/70HR 16 (rear) tires for my ride. JP cycles, Dennis Kirk, and jakewilson.com all carry the Dunlop D206. The best price was Dennis Kirk @ $183.00

Bedouin418
07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I just had my tires changed out on my Nomad two weeks ago to the ME880s. I normally remove the wheels myself and have a local shop do the mount & balance but due to time constraints I had my dealer do it. I ordered the tires over the phone and dropped the bike off when the tires came in. I never even noticed that the front Metzler was a bias and the rear was a radial until a couple days after I got the bike home and was prepping for a long weekend ride with the wife. I have never run a mix of radial/bias on a car or truck let alone a bike. Is this really ok? It feels like that the tires work against each other. I had Avon radials on it before and it handled awesome, but, when the Avons went to s*#t, they went quick. Is it just my old school mind that you don't mix radial and bias ply tires?

usart1
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I am not sure on mixing Bias ply with Radial tires. My front is a bias and my rear a radial, really haven't noticed a problem, yet... My dealer didn't mention that there would or could be a problem, and they would if they knew of one.

AeroPilot
07-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Tonight I drop my Nomad off to get the ME 880's as well. We purchased the bike used earlier this month and the front just passed inspection, but not by much. The tires the owner had on were the ME 880's and he said they lasted much better than those stock bridgestone's, so that's why I'm going again with them. Bike rides really nice, doesn't seem like there is any problem having bias and radial,... I'll ask the shop tonight when I drop the bike off if they've heard or had anyone notice anything before.

AeroPilot
08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Been riding my Nomad with the New ME 880's and they feel great. Running 40/42 for the pressure when solo. Dealer said that having a bias ply front and radial rear is common, but it's not recommended to have it the other way around from a handling perspective in turning.

fishbreath
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I run Avon cobras AV72 180/70R16 on the rear of my nomad, the last one I got 15,000 miles could of got another 1,000 out of it.

Bedouin418
09-10-2011, 09:50 AM
After I had the stock Bridgestone's changed out on my '08 Nomad to the Avon's it was like ridng a whole different bike, but the rear tire was completely shot with only about 5K miles on it. Replaced this summer with the Metzler ME880s as I had them on my '01 Nomad and they were fantastic but apparently I got a bad front tire and it just never seemd to handle right so the dealer cut me an awesome deal on a pair of Bridgestone Excedra Max. The front tire balanced out with zero weight added and the rear took 3/4 of an oz.. So far they seem to handle very well but I'm unable to find their full potential due to issues with the steering head bearings, that's a whole other thread. I have never gotten more than 6-7K miles on a rear tire on my Nomads and I see guys getting over 10K. I keep my pressures where they should be, I don't consider myself an aggressive rider and I have them rebalanced if I feel the need. I keep the air pressure in the rear shocks between 15-20 PSI and preload on three or four for the wife and I and depending how much extra gear I have in and on the bike and at two for just me. I do a lot of two up with the wife and the roads here in Maine suck anyway so I just keep blaming the increased wear on those two aspects. The roads here in Maine are just huge speed bumps anyway with all the potholes and road irregularities from our winter months that seldom get repaired. Our roads basically beat the snot out of our vehicles.
What is the true secret to tire longevity? There has to be something that I'm missing?
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
West Bath, ME

rbentnail
09-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I keep my pressures where they should be, ...

And that would be what pressure?

Bedouin418
09-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I've been running the front about 3 PSI below maximum and the rears about 2 PSI below max. if you have a recommendation that would help achieve better mileage out of the tires that would be great.

fishbreath
09-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I've been running the front about 3 PSI below maximum and the rears about 2 PSI below max. if you have a recommendation that would help achieve better mileage out of the tires that would be great.

Our roads suck too. I don't do much stop and go riding, I ride on roads where you can go for 30 40 50 miles without a stop sign along with some superslabs to get to where I like to ride.

maybe time for a car tire.

Bedouin418
09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
I certainly have to agree with you about PA roads fishbreath, they certainly aren't some of the best but there is a lot of fantastic scenery. I live in the southern part of the state (ME) and I have to ride 35-40 miles just to get on roads that there isn't a stop sign or a one stop light little burg every 10-15 miles.
I have given some thought to the car tire on the rear but with the extended warranty on my bike thats good for two more years, I'm certain that Kawi would frown about it especially if something did go wrong they'd want to blame the tire.
If I could just get my steering head bearing issue resolved I would be more than happy just to get a couple more thousand miles on before winter sets in.

Nomadthesailor
10-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Metzlers