1996 Eliminator ZL 650 [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

1996 Eliminator ZL 650

Wind Splitter
07-13-2011, 11:30 PM
I am new to the forum. I am looking at a 1996 Kawaski Eliminator ZL 650 with 12k miles. The bike looks really nice, but would like to know the pro's and con's of the bike. Especially concerned about the shaft drive. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

klx678
07-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I am new to the forum. I am looking at a 1996 Kawaski Eliminator ZL 650 with 12k miles. The bike looks really nice, but would like to know the pro's and con's of the bike. Especially concerned about the shaft drive. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

That is a ZL600, not 650, using the Ninja engine with shaft drive added. One great running small bore power cruiser. They occasionally may have bad cam chain tensioners causing a lot of rattling in the cam drive area. It will wear out parts if not replaced and the best replacement is a manual tensioner, which is lower priced, easy to adjust, and takes little attention since you can hear if the cam drive gets loose. I have manual tensioners in my bikes and once the drive is seated in the adjustment is less often than valves. In other words set it, forget it, unless you hear it, then adjust it. I've got 10,000 on my Zephyr without an adjustment. Otherwise nothing I'm aware of on the bike as any issue... other than controlling your right wrist.

If you want to know more about the bike go to the ZL-OA forum (http://www.zl-oa.com/forums/index.php). Join up and hae some fun. Good guys there. I'm going to be seeing some of them at Mid Ohio Vintage Days in two weeks.