1986 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

1986 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A

U-Dawg
09-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I recently got this bike from my dad. It has over 100,000 miles on it(speedometer cable broke so odometer doesn't show it) and it has always started and ran great(25 years later and sitting 2 years untouched) I started changing the oil and looking over what it needed. The brake and tail lights didn't work and the dash lights didn't come on. after a few days of messing with three different fuse boxes(two from an 86 and one from an 88) and cleaning connections on the starting selnoid, i got a break light and tail light and dashlights. Headlight hasnt worked without a toggle running directly off the battery. now when i turn the key to the on position, the starter motor smokes and the power wire from the stater selnoid to the fuse box gets hot. I tried putting the headlight running through the wiring harness again and that didn't change anything. Any ideas on what might be wrong? Thanks

RoadRunner322
09-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Go to ConcoursOwnersGroup and ZG/GTR web sites. These are dedicated to the Concours. Lots of knowledgeable folks there.