What about the Venture? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

What about the Venture?

djh3
09-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Thought I'd ask you touring fellas. Whats your take on the 99 and up Ventures. While I'd like to get a Voyager I dont see the price of the newer models allowing that. I did however find a 99 Venture for a good price I am waiting on the guy to get back to me with the specifics. I see alot of them on the highway when Im traveling and nobody has really told me anything bad.

Classic
09-23-2011, 06:54 PM
When we decided to get serious about a real touring motorcycle earlier this year one of the first test rides we did was on a Royal Star Venture and I was very surprised, but not in a good way. Soon as we left the dealer lot I noticed handle bar vibration that didn't go way as I ran up the rpm's. The vibration turned into a decent buzz and was always there no matter what. Power was good if you kept up the rpm's but nothing amazing. Low end torque was okay and better than expected so pulling away from a stop was fine. Ran the Venture through some twisty roads and here was where the bike really stunk because it just isn't meant for that kind of fun and the low speed handling was just plain awful. It was comfortable and the seating position was good so long rides would be no problem as long as you live in a state like Kansas where you don't have to do much in the way of maneuvering beyond pulling into gas stations and such. When we pulled back into the dealer lot my wife asked me what I thought and I told her I was glad to be off the **** thing. People who buy these bikes and hang on to them for years have my respect and my sympathy. Then there's the four carb's and the cassette deck...

Don't take only my word for it though, ride one and see, maybe it'll work for you.

We also rode the Victory Vision and liked it a lot but preferred the Gold Wing so that's what we bought.

uechi kid
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a Royal Star Venture. I must disagree with the evacuation from Classic. Although it took me a couple hundred mile to really get a feel for how the Venture handles, once I did I found out it's a great bike. I ride the back roads of California, and I mean back roads, all the time and I can keep up with any touring bike out there. As far as parking lots, again after some practice not a problem. I have a friend that can maneuver his Venture so well you'd think he was a motor cop. I also have never felt any vibration in the handle bars, my MS vibrate quite a bit though. Yep, it has carbs, four of them, and the work great. As far as the cassette deck, you got me there. You could go with the Gold Wing or the Vision but you'll spend a lot more money.
For me the bottom line is, if anything happened to my RSV would I replace it with another one? You bet I would, in a heart beat!

djh3
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the input. You want vibration, try a 900 @ 75 on the expressway for 10hr. lol Just got back from a 2K+ trip and had a good time on the backroads from NC to Ashland Ky and also some thru Tn and Ga. but the time I spent on the interstates ugh. Not my favorite for sure.

uechi kid
10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
My wife and I took a 4000 mile trip this summer, glad we were on the Venture.

RoadRunner322
10-08-2011, 10:16 AM
A coworker rode his 2002 Kawasaki Voyager (4 cyl) for several years. Got the Harley bug and bought an electraglide. Rated it a 7 on a 10 scale. Never adjusted to the low rpm vibration. Sold it and bought an 07 Royal Star Venture. He likes it much better. He rides double with his wife most of the time and she says it's a much nicer bike than the Harley. They usually ride to work together every day. The V4 Venture would have to be a smoother ride than the Harleys.

Classic
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
The Venture we test rode was a very slightly used one and was in beautiful mint condition, a really attractive bike that had a genuine quality look to it. With the asking price, and this was at a dealer, thousands below the Wing we really, really wanted to like the bike but just didn't. I even went to one of the Venture forums and researched the handle bar buzz and it was a fairly common topic as was the poor low speed handling. I'm sure they can both be dealt with in one way or another but I wanted a bike that was "right" off the showroom floor without needing mods or add-ons. In fact, one of the members in our little riding club here had a Royal Star Tour Deluxe and only kept it for a year till he traded it in on a Wing a few years ago and, he still has the Wing. As for reliability, both have a reputation of running for hundreds of thousands miles so no real advantage there.

RoadRunner322
11-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't think anyone will argue that the Honda Goldwing is not the best of the best for 2 up touring. Last year I test rode one, a 2006 with 8k miles and loved it. It was "Gold" in color and absolutely beautiful. However, the dealer asked $17,900 for it and I wasn't interested in starting negotiations at that point. So, I bought a 2004 Kawasaki Concours with 21k miles for $3k. It's not a wing but one heck of a bike for the money. Water cooled, great protective fairing, plenty of performance, and a drive shaft for maintenance free riding. For me it was the best choice.

Classic
11-15-2011, 06:21 PM
...and that Connie has a huge fuel tank. If I were touring one-up a late model Concours would be on my short list.