Joined the ST World [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Joined the ST World

DanL
10-03-2011, 08:46 AM
I traded in my Vulcan 1600 on Friday for a 2011 Concours ABS model in black. I only had time to put 120 miles on between Friday and Saturday, and yesterday was raining so no riding, but so far, WOW. It's so easy to handle, the power is scary (and I haven't gone past 4000 rpm yet), the brakes are amazing. I'm a technology geek so all the other stuff the Connie has is right up my alley. I've found my "forever" bike.

I've been wanting this bike for probably 2 years. Everytime we go to the dealer I sat on it. Finally I decided I was going to get one and started searching out best prices, and looked at the other ST bikes. I knew I didn't want the Honda, just to get ABS is way more $$ than the Kawi. I checked out the Yamaha FJR1300, rode it for 30 mins or so, liked it, and then got on the Connie for 30 mins. There was no comparison. The Connie is simply a nicer bike in every aspect, at least to me.

I got the dealer to match an internet price I had found, got a good trade amount for my Vulcan, and got 2.4% financing to boot, so she's in the garage right now. If only the weather would clear up here and I could be, um, sick, and get some miles on her!

rbentnail
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Congrats Dan, and welcome to the world of ST! How about some pics of that baby?

DanL
10-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll get some up today. My wife says it's ugly, but I love it!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1980.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1981.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1982.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1983.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1984.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1985.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Bikes/Connie/DSCN1986.jpg

SlickPaint
10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Congrats on the move to the ST world. I did the same thing earlier this year only I had a VN900 which I loved but I don't think I could ever leave an ST like the C14. It's just too easy to rack up miles on this bike!

trikebubble
10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Congratulations, she is beautiful.

RoadRunner322
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
It's beautiful! Congratulations! Ride Safely!

DanL
10-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks! I'm really going to enjoy this bike. Playing hooky today for half a day, a couple buds coming down and we're heading out for the afternoon. I probably need to schedule the 1st service! If it hadn't been raining here the last few days I'd already be there.

pitchinguy
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Gratz! She is a beauty for sure!

KURT
10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I agree with your wife, it`s ugly!:) Should have gotten a Honda st1300! Just kidding, love the black connie`s. I have both a cruiser and sport tourer and your right you can realy rack up the miles on those bikes. Nice bike, ride safe!

buzz
10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Congrats on the new Connie!! Good looking ride.
I had a similar experience, sold my 06 1600 Classic and later purchased a 2000 Connie C-10.
Getting use to the ST ride and can see someday looking seriously at a new one.
Enjoy!!

DanL
10-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I have over 500 miles on it now, would have been more but we had a couple crappy days earlier in the week. Have my 600 mile service scheduled for Tuesday and I'm going to run out of miles, I don't want to go too far over 600. Luckily I'm on call for work and can't venture too far.

Thoughts so far:

performance is pretty amazing coming off of a cruiser. It's not that it's fast, it's how fast it gets there. I rolled on the throttle coming out of a town on a country road, went from 35 to 80 in a matter of seconds. Not even a full acceleration, just a mild twist of the grip. Same thing coming off the interstate, on a long straight ramp, I went from 70 to 120 in 5th gear like it was nothing. I can't imagine what it'll be like once it's broken in and I can hit the power band.

The handling is superb. The bike practically drives itself in the curves. Curves I had to slow down to take at 30 on the Vulcan I can do at the speed limit on this bike. Slow speed stuff is easier too. I did a little practice in a parking lot, doing tight turns and figure 8's. Still need more work but it's pretty good so far. Brakes, with 2 different ABS settings, are great. I practiced some panic stops and had more problems with my body inertia than anything else. You push the pedal and pull the lever, it stops, fast.

Fuel economy is showing about 40mpg overall. My last tank was 38, which is what I got on the Vulcan. About what I expected. The Eco mode is pretty cool, gives you a leaner map for better efficiency as long as you are under a certain rpm and the throttle is less than a certain % open.

Comfort wise, I have to make some changes. The seat is OK for now, because the seating position spreads your weight out better than the cruiser sitting on the tail bone thing. The reach to the bars is a little far and my right arm gets fatigued after a while. I have a set of risers coming that should help there. The stock windscreen, while bigger than the 08-09 years, is still too low even in the top position. All the way down, it's fine for the wind in the face feel, but up, if I duck down just a couple inches, all the noise and buffeting goes away. So the next thing I'm going to get is a taller touring type windshield. Coming from a National Cycle 2 up and lowers, where I had almost too little wind, it's something I want to do for long range rides. The beauty of the electric shield is being able to adapt it to the riding conditions.

That's it for now, I can't wait to get the 600 mile service done so I can take it out on an all day ride.

rbentnail
10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Sounds like you made the right choice, congrats again! The ergos you mention are the same I had to do. I went with Cee Bailys for the +2"/+2" windscreen and Genmar 1" risers on my FJR. Still have the stock seat- 54,100 miles in less than 4 yrs, I'm still good with it. I added a gps mount too. I don't use it often but it sure is nice when I want to. And a Vista Cruise throttle lock- best $13 I ever spent on a bike. With cooler weather coming you'll have plenty of time to mess about in the shop to decide what's good for you.

edit: And I went to a local auto parts store and bought some fancy license plate fasteners. The cruiser buddies and I had lots of laughs with the new non-functional chrome bling. One more thing - you'll need a gremlin bell for your new bike. I just happen to know where you might sign up for one https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/141916-2011-gremlin-bell-exchange-2.html

DanL
10-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I found a used pair of the Murph's risers for $45 shipped, the guy had them on the bike for a month and decided he didn't like them. Those should be here Tues or Weds. They give 1 3/8 rise and 3/4" pullback. If that's not enough I'll get some of the Murph's wedges that move the bar ends up and back some. It's not that the reach is really too far, but the wrist position. My right arm starts going numb after a while. I had the same issue on my C50 and VN1600

I think I'm going with the National Cycle V Stream shield, I like the shape of it and there is a site that has it for $135 including shipping, that's a lot cheaper than the Cal-Sci or Cee Bailey products. Seems that people like all of those shields so I figured I'd go with the less expensive one. I've had a couple NC shields and like their quality.

Ran a lot of twisties (as twistie as we can get here in DE) yesterday. Man I am loving this bike!

RoadRunner322
10-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Change your sig!

DanL
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Change your sig!

Doh! Good pickup!!

RoadRunner322
10-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Come on over to the Concours Owners Group forum and the ZG/GTR forum. Both are dedicated to the C14 and C10.

DanL
10-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm already there Roadrunner, I was lurking around before I decided 100% on the Connie- I knew I wanted it but wanted to see what issues people had. I was also lurking around on the FJR forums because that was my 2nd choice bike.

Had a not so good day today, took the bike in for service, and the mechanic dropped it on it's right side when he was coming back from the test ride after the service was done. Nothing major but lots of scrapes- saddle bag, pipe, several spots on the fairing. It was an accident, and at least I can still ride it- nothing cracked or flapping or anything like that. They had already ordered all the parts before I got there and I know they will make it whole for me.

RoadRunner322
10-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh Man! That's ugly! Dropped your new bike! I know you were sick when they told you.

DanL
10-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I had an empty pit in my gut all day. Not much I can do about it, they are taking care of it and I trust that they will make it as good as it was the day I rode it home.

ricksza
10-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Sounds like the dealership is doing the right thing. They screwed up and making good.