Aieing Up [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Aieing Up

Big Reyn
10-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Good morning, what pump are you guys using to air up your shocks on the new 1700 line of Kawasaki cruisers. Is anyone using the slime (mini compressor)? I see them in Wal-Mart?

DanL
10-11-2011, 08:36 AM
I have a small hand pump that I got at a HD place. You don't want something too strong and you want it to be "lossless" meaning that when you take it off, you don't get that puff of air. The shocks don't hold a lot and that little puff might be half the air you put in.

Big Reyn
10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks DanL

Gary - K7GLD
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I have a small hand pump that I got at a HD place. You don't want something too strong and you want it to be "lossless" meaning that when you take it off, you don't get that puff of air. The shocks don't hold a lot and that little puff might be half the air you put in.

Does that pump have a built-in gauge - so when you finish pumping, you don't then have to use a separate gauge, and THEN lose part of your pressure at THAT step?

AND, for that matter, in my case, the front shocks (forks) need 7-10 PSI - where do you find an accurate gauge for down at those low pressures?

DanL
10-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Yes, it has a gauge. It's designed specifically for air shocks and other low volume/low pressure applications.

It's like this one, though I think we paid somewhere in the 30-35 range. I can't recall.

Air Pump, Suspension for Touring Models | Adventure Harley-Davidson (http://www.theadventuremall.com/Air-Pump-Suspension-for-Touring-Models/M/B0016J9S0W.htm)

uechi kid
10-14-2011, 01:10 AM
I have the HD pump also. I bought it this summer, paid $50 for it. It's a great pump. It doesn't lose any air when you are attaching the hose.

RoadRunner322
10-16-2011, 10:33 PM
The problem with these mini compressors is that by not having a tank, when the air is compressed, water condenses, and this is blown into the tire. With a tank the water settles on the bottom of the tank and you can also install a water separator in the air line. Most all of the gas stations now have those piece of crap tankless compressors for their customers to use for a fee.

At home I have a 2hp, 220volt, 30 gallon tank air compressor. But, I work away from home and end up using one of those water pumpers.