Vulcan to Concours 1000? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Vulcan to Concours 1000?

alekkas
10-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Money is an issue - otherwise I'd be posting Vulcan to Connie 14 - actually, I'd already have one... :)

So, may have a chance to straight up trade my 1600 with 16K miles on it for an 05 Concours with 6K miles on it. No extra dollars to play with and if a mistake, can't spend over the top of it.

What are the thoughts out there for durability / maintenance of the connie 10?

I posted on COG and got some input. While the 10 is not a perfect bike, what experiences do you all have with it?

Mission:

#1 Durability for the long haul - many years and miles
#2 My wife gets on the back for short rides. LOVES the 1600. Will a connie 10 with back rest - eventually box with pad be ok for comfort and importantly an "easy" ride for her? Max distance for her is about two hours at a time.
#3 One up long distance rides - days at a time.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

klx678
10-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I know of a number of riders with a lot of miles on them. That design had been around for 19 years by 05. The only flaw I've ever known or heard of is that sometimes the cam chain tensioner will fail, causing a lot of racket from the left side cam drive. I know, because I make the tensioners for them. It is a low buck non-invasive fix and not needed on all of them. The failure is not instantly catastrophic. Otherwise they wear like iron. Lots of riders with six digit mileage on them.

RoadRunner322
10-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I've never been attracted to cruisers. I did own sort of a cruiser (1983 Yamaha 750 Virago) in the past. I hated it . It was underpowered, vibrated, and a previous owner put loud pipes on it that just didn't work for me. Before you say of course it was under powered, it's just a 750, I also previously owned a CB750 Honda 4 and it was not underpowered. The Virago revved higher cruising than a Harley and didn't sound anything like a Harley with loud pipes.

I've owned 2 2cylinder bikes in the past and I swore I'd never buy another due to the vibration.

In my opinion, the drawbacks of a C10 are the high weight, probably 660lbs with a full tank, 597 dry, and the high center of gravity. This means you need to be careful in the parking lots. If you stop while turning it will fall over and you can't stop it. But, they are comfortable, powerful, have great wind/rain protection, and tremendous range with the 7.5 gallon tank.

I really didn't like the low speed handling of my Concours at first, but it had a worn out dual compound front tire that had a 1" wide ridge in the center of the tire that caused high effort turning and less stability. A new tire completely changed the characteristics of the bike. I like it now!

clone
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Think I saw on one of the Concours forums that your deal fell through...? I have a 2004 C10 and a 2004 1500 Vulcan Classic. The Vulcan is a piece of cake to work on compared to the C10. Here are my thoughts:

C10 pros:
7.5 gal fuel tank
Full fairing
Lots of mods can be done
Somewhat better fuel mileage at highway speeds
Screw adjuster for valves

1500 Classic:
Hydraulic valves
ONE carb to mess with (none in your case)
Better tire selection

One example - it's getting hard to find good tires for the C10 - Avon and Bridgestone seem to be the best, unless you change out to a 17" rear. That's the rub with the C10 - it's late '80's tech, four carbs, inline-4 buzzy (though mine seems to be relatively buzz-free), top heavy, fit and finish not so great, and there are tons of mods that can be done that address some of the issues for a price. It was built to meet a low price point 25 years ago, with only minor upgrades at one point in time. I bought mine to tour with the wife, but major life changes prevented that, and so it sits in the garage with infrequent use. Very infrequent. Embarassingly infrequent...

Just my opinion, but your 1600 would be a much better machine for touring - throw on some nice big bags and a trunk (Wompus rack!), batwing fairing and maybe some lowers, and enjoy. If you were closer, you could try my C10 for yourself. It's only got 1400 miles. :oops:

alekkas
10-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow - that is embarrassingly low miles. Lots of life left to it when you start riding it more, though!

Yes, the deal fell through. Love the 1600 and happy to still have it. Long term, however, that Concours would have many many more years of service (miles) left in it. Financially, dollar per mile, that has got to be the best value out there - mostly because of the carbs, old styling, etc.......

Thanks for the input.

RoadRunner322
10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Your cruiser and a C10 Concours are about as different as they can be, totally different riding characteristics. All depends on what you like in a motorcycle.

alekkas
10-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the input -- but, of course they are totally different. That is the kind of different I would be into!

I was trying to get more background on long term durability and if anyone has done two up rides. Alone, especially with a curve or two, I would enjoy it a lot more.

That said, keeping the 1600 is a great consolation prize!

buzz
10-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I recently made the change from 1600 Classic to a 2000 C-10.
Don't regret it at all. First thing to note: you can purchase after market goodies for any bike to make it better suit you for comfort, looks and performance. Be it V-twin or sport tourer.
What I have noticed since making the switch about 2 months ago. The ride, cornering and handling in general is much, much better on the C-10. Yes it can be top heavy when fully fueled two-up, but if you watch what your're doing and ride accordingly everything is fine. A lot of power to use, smooth accel, modest buzz with higher RPM's, but not as bad as big V-twin at hwy speeds. Great wind and rain protection, very good brakes. Wife and I like the stock seat, fitted a trunk w/back rest for HER support, says she could ride all day long back there. Regular gas, average 42-44 mph in mixed driving, can go 225 mi without hitting reserve. Service the engine regularly and you can expect to get over 100K miles on it, many have over 150K. Lots of usable storage in the factory had bags. C-10 has been produced for a long time LOTS of aftermarket stuff available, many excellant website/org's for rider support.
Now the not so good things. It's a heavy bike, gotta keep your attention focused when riding slow. It is 80's technology, but not hard to maintain yourself. There's a lot of plastic on this scoot, costly to replace if damaged and a headache to pull off and remount for servcing. Tire choices are getting limited.
All in all I'd do it again, only sooner! Bike is absolutely a dream to ride, hwy or twisties.

RoadRunner322
10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I didn't like my Concours that much at first because it had a worn out dual compound tire on the front. This caused high effort low speed turning and instability a low speed because with the dual compound you end up with a 1" wide ridge in the center of the tire. I replaced the tires and Wow! It's a totally different bike. It's easy to turn now and much more stable at low speed like it should be. I like it now. Best value in motorcycling!

buzz
10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
roadrunner,
Curious to know what tires you put on? I'll need to get something new next spring.
Buzz

rbentnail
10-22-2011, 10:34 AM
roadrunner,
Curious to know what tires you put on? I'll need to get something new next spring.
Buzz

I like Pirelli Angels on my FJR. For me they're a good mix of mileage and grip.

clone
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Shame Pirelli doesn't have them in the 18"' front and 16" rear that the C10 needs...

rbentnail
10-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Shame Pirelli doesn't have them in the 18"' front and 16" rear that the C10 needs...

Well that sux! I've tried Metzler, Shinko and Michelin as well. I always go back to the Pirelli.

RoadRunner322
10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
roadrunner,
Buzz

Sorry about the late reply. I was away from my job/apt for a long weekend and since I was logged on with my computer at the apt, the site wouldn't let me log on on my wife's computer at home.
Anyway, I bought Bridgestone BT45's. The front tire is the 110/80 instead of the stock 120/70 and the rear is stock size. The front looks bigger than the 120/70 Bridgestone BT021 that came off. I like the tires. They appear to grip well and they look great and both cost about $201 delivered from Motorcycle Super Store. Dennis Kirk was about the same price, maybe $1 mores. The shop that installed them for me said they use a dynamic balancer that is very precise. I looked for weights and I don't see any weight on the front. The rear has a very tiny stick-on weight. By the way, according to the tire code, both were manufactured in 2011.

buzz
10-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Got rid of my 06 1600 clasisc late last year. Found a 2000 C-10 locally and now ride it A LOT!.
You'll find it handles so much better. I liked the Vulcan until I rode the Connie. Takes curves so much easier, tracks firm and solid all the way through. Sometimes the Vulcan seemed as unwilling to turn as pushing a wheelbarrow full of water.
Engine/trans are butter smooth, plenty of power, no problem riding all day at hwy speeds.
Riding position takes some time to get use to it, but it becomes very comfortable.
Wife likes the stock Connie seat better than the aftermarket we put on the Vulcan. Mounted a small trunk w/back rest, she can ride all day long.
The sport tourer is a completely different bike than a V-twin cruiser. Better in many ways. It's not a perfect bike, 80's technology, but it's been around long enough to have a bunch of riders, and a lot of after market parts/accessories.
I wouldn't go back to the Vulcan.
Buzz

Money is an issue - otherwise I'd be posting Vulcan to Connie 14 - actually, I'd already have one... :)

So, may have a chance to straight up trade my 1600 with 16K miles on it for an 05 Concours with 6K miles on it. No extra dollars to play with and if a mistake, can't spend over the top of it.

What are the thoughts out there for durability / maintenance of the connie 10?

I posted on COG and got some input. While the 10 is not a perfect bike, what experiences do you all have with it?

Mission:

#1 Durability for the long haul - many years and miles
#2 My wife gets on the back for short rides. LOVES the 1600. Will a connie 10 with back rest - eventually box with pad be ok for comfort and importantly an "easy" ride for her? Max distance for her is about two hours at a time.
#3 One up long distance rides - days at a time.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

K12GT
10-27-2011, 02:04 AM
ALEKKAS:

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

You won't be dissapointed with a C10. I have many trouble free miles on this bike. Specifically a 90 model Concours. Put 130K on the bike, sold it to a friend of mine and its still on the road today. The summary below addresses your longevity questions.

Very easy to work on and the body work is easy to remove.
Suspension starts to wear out around 60 to 75K
My brake rotors warpped at around 70K
Motor went to 125 k before a major maint matter cropped up. Years ago, I purchased a new C10 that was in a dealership fire, with the MSRP title from Kawasaki. I ended up only having to sandblast the motor and paint it, and it fired right up. that same engine is running to this very day.
Fuel tank lasted to about 100K, was replaced with a new one from Kawasaki.
Carbs wore out (literally wore out) at around 120K. Purchase a whole new set from Kawasaki, bike ran like a top with the new carbs.
Clutch lasted to about 80K. One weak link in the older C10's is the clutch star washer, under the clutch hub nut. There is a service bulletin on this issue with a rettro fit kit from Kaw. Upgraded to a double star washer, from a single one.
Seat skin lasted till around 60K,
One major weak link in the C10 is the head pipe and bearings. They are too small for the chassis, and like the old KZ1000's, the C10 and wobble and tank-slap with the best of them. be carefull at high speeds.

The above items are the major items. If you just purchase the Kawasaki (Original) shop manual, you should be able to do most if not all of the maintenance yourself.

Originally the C10 came out two years after BMW's K100. It was meant to compete with the BMW, and I feel Kawasaki did a great job with making this Sport Tourer compete at a very competitive price.

Another long term maint item is I keept to the original K700 series Dunlop Radial tires. (Same tire as the K100) Felt like the OEM tire provided the best performance and endurance. (tread life)

I had this bike for so long that I even wore out the plastic gears in the speedometer, replaced that insturment cluster with a new one from Kawasaki, at around 120K.

There is more I should be mentioning, but I don't think you can go wrong with a clean 2000 to 2006 Concours.

Regards.

K12GT

K12GT
10-27-2011, 02:12 AM
I forgot to address your question#2 and #3:

#2: You Wife should be OK riding on the back. Most C10 had the factory backrest, If the one you find does not have this installed, you may still be able to buy it new from Kawasaki. If not, look for a use one.

#3: As for long distance rides, it not only depends on the bike, but also the type of riding gear you ride with. The C10, or most sport tourers, will eat up the long distances much better than a cruiser. Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone out there, but I have ridden with many cruiser bikes, and at the end of the day, they are done way before the C10 driver will be.

As for one other item, all of the replacement items I mentioned above depends on how your ride, and how you maintain the bike. A 2000 mile oil change interval goes a long way in keeping the engine and seals as fresh as possible. imho.

Hope this helps.

K12GT.

alekkas
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the GREAT info. I am going to keep looking for on that will work in my budget. This may very well be where I wind up. Of course, a lotto win would land me square in C14 land....