rear suspension [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

rear suspension

leetorlay1
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
hello all:)
passed my test during the summer and bought myself a kawasaki zzr600 (2000-2001).
just about to stick it in the garage and service it over the winter, does anyone have usefull information on the rear suspension spring and strutt? and what or where to get gd parts from. bike is suffering from a saggy rear end.

K12GT
10-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Ohlins is one of the best products out there. It is one of the more exspensive rear struts out there, but they offer service parts and a way to overhaul the strut after years of service. The Factory OEM unit is a disposable unit.

For a cheaper alternative, talk to the guys at Progressive. They are making rear struts for the retrofit market. Ask them about the overhaul option.

With the Ohlins unit, you buy one strut and service it as needed for the life of the bike.

Regards.

K12GT

got2no
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I had my rear shock seize up on me in the compressed position. The OEM replacement is a about $600 and aftermarket even higher. I bought a junkyard one online for $30 and installed it, but being it's just as old, it could fail at anytime. Since the old one was shot, I thought I'd take a stab at rebuilding it. I took it all apart, found that the oil looked like mud, thereby clogging the small passages. I cleaned it up, added a schrader valve at the top, filled it with the same amount of oil I drained, pressurized it with nitrogen, and then re installed it. I have the old one as a backup now. I just couldn't see spending one third of what I paid for the bike for a new shock.