ZZr 600 Carbureator Issues? Or coil Issues? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

ZZr 600 Carbureator Issues? Or coil Issues?

Aviator F16
10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey everyone I have just recently bought a ZZR 600 1997 I have owned one of these bikes previously, actually It was the same year in fact. However I am having some difficulties with this one, Someone please help. On a cold start after the choke it seems to run fine Great low end power. It starts to Tac out at 10,000 rpm, and it breaks down Bad! After riding it awhile I have to feather the throttle to keep it at 70 mph, If I give it full throttle after riding it 10 min Forget it!!! It dogs out quickly, You know that sound you get that just sounds like The motor is just sucking too hard or sucking too much air and nothing is really happening (like your still where you gave it the throttle instead of a mile down the road, :shock: ) The bike is missing the air breather, but it does have individual air breathers and has and electronic fuel pump and to me seems to be starving for fuel or Not getting enough spark. Can someone Please Help me? All Help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Waldron
11-01-2011, 10:57 PM
The general rule of thumb is: low RPM problems are carb-related, and high RPM problems are ignition-related. It sounds like you're in this boat, especially since heat seems to make it worse. I would look most closely at the pickup coils for the electronic ignition...check both coils for resistance and continuity. If they check out, take the bike for a ride for about 10 minutes and test it as soon after riding as you can. I think you're going to find that there is one coil that's getting hot, raising (or lowering) the resistance and limiting the ignition output.
Beyond that, check the resistance of the ignition coils and the ignitor box (usually the service manual will have the proper resistances from each terminal to the others). If you still can't find anything, ride it and get it warm again and then measure.
A DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) is a really handy thing to have, btw.

stabila5
11-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi, did this work i have a simular problem with mine, felt like it was runing out fuel at speed.
Just had new alternator and rectifier fitted Ouch!, then 70 miles later breakes down again.

Any advice would be much appriciated, currently bike laid up does start but not good.

Aviator F16
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks Waldron you were pretty close!!! It was in fact an Ignition problem, The problem was that My rectifier was bad and once it heated up started to cut out on me. Also the carbs were as about out of sync as one could possibly imagine!! (Only about 4 turns out!!) So with a closer look at it in the direction you pointed me into I found out the problems!! thanks!!!! :)

Aviator F16
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey stabila5, I did some checking and found out that my rectifier was bad, You need a (dvom, digital volt meter) start you bike and see what your getting for rechargingvolts at you battery, should be somewhere around 13.2- 13.6volts) depends on where your throttle position is. Revving up your bike will increase your generator output. So lets say your charging, There is a small connector (and do not quote me as I am away from my bike right now) But i believe it is a black wire with a yellow line (tracer) going down it with a purple wire, Directly under the rear of your tank and just above your starter it is connected to a relay or a solenoid, It actually dead ends there at the relay, it is possible that that is your problem spot, It was on mine so I took the liberty of hard wiring it together. I do know now that the rectifier acts like a bad coil or that your bike is starving for gas after it gets hot, So it is possible you are having electrical issues, That requires a lot of time, testing, and PATIENCE!!! Lol!! believe me I have had the torch lit a few times But I don't have full coverage or fire ins. on the old girl. lmao!!!! good luck my friend!!!

stabila5
11-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Cheers Aviator F16,

Looks like i have a busy weekend, doing some investigation work. I now have genuine kawaski rectifier and alternator so i can rule them out, next will be the starter and solinoids. My only fear is that the bike has done 50,000 miles and all the parts are giving up on me.

stabila5
11-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Hi, looking for a bit more help.

Further to a bit more investigation over the weekend, to this poor runing issue. I removed the tank and the air box cover only to find the filter sodend with oil in places and little poddles of oil sat in the bottom of the air box. The crank case breather pipe looks dry so cant understand how the oil has got there. I feel this may be the poor running issue, the engine starved of air but think there may be a bigger underlying issue.

Any advise anyone?

Cheers