Vulcan 1700 Voyager Question [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Vulcan 1700 Voyager Question

KenP
01-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Greetings All,

New to the Kawi forum here.

I am in the process of narrowing down a replacement bike for my 1984 Yamaha Venture Royale XVZ12DL. It has been a great bike mechanically, and I have done the majority of the wrenching myself, but the ABS plastic is starting to require constant attention, so I am doing some research on either a newer Yamaha Royal Star Venture, or the Kawi Vulcan 1700. I have ridden/or had a Honda, Harley, or Yamaha in the past. I'm 52 years old, and have been riding since I was about 25.

I am targeting the 2011 model of the Kawi, mostly due to the fact that I don't really want to plunk down the $$ for a brand new one, but was curious as to the major differences between the 2010-12 models, other than the newer KAMS system.

Any help/advice appreciated !!

Ken

Bluemeanie
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Doing this from memory, but the difference between the 2010 and 2011 is some changes in the transmission, the mufflers are different (quieter) and the efi settings changed. Not sure of any changes other than the KAMS on the 2012's.

Like you I didn't want to spend the bucks for a new 2012, but did get what I think is a good deal on an 011 with ABS and went with that. The only time I really feel the heat is when stopped and the fan comes on, your left leg will know when it comes on. Do I wish I had spent the extra bucks and got a 2012, no, I'm happy with it. Of course I'm still in the break in period on mine, so the heat part may change in time. Then there's also rumors that Kawasaki may offer up a kit (or do a recall) to address the heat.

KenP
01-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the input. I was aware of the heat issue, but wasn't certain if it came from the pipes, or the fan. I will be checking out some used 2011's this week at a local dealership, so I'll ask them if a mod is available. If not, I guess I'll have to wear an old school jackboot on the left leg!!

Highwayman2011
01-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I have a 2010 the heat is not that bad. I think this is a good touring bike for the money. Trans clunks on 1,2 shift, stock mufflers sound great, handles well, stock seat comfortable, being a V twin it vibrates a little, being a newer model new accessories are coming to market every day. Overall its a great bike and I would buy one again.

Wild Rice
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I too bought a leftover (new) 2011 Voyager. I don't regret it, although itwill still need some mods to make it 'feel' as comfy as the 2005 1600 classic I traded in. The Voyager has a shorter wheelbase, so you don't have as much room. That should be easy to get used to.

I don't feel the heat, although in New England this time of year, with limited riding weather, the heat should actually feel welcome. I rode 65 miles home from a meeting last night on the highway, and would have appreciated all the heat that exhaust could have served up. By the time the meeting ended.. it was about degrees outside... Thank God for full fairings and windscreen.

The bike is easy to handle because of the shortened wheelbase... the suspension (air shocks in rear) is great!... Very comfy. And now that Im getting some mileage on it (still under 1000 - going to dealer for 600/1000 mile checkup and fluid change... it's getting about 35 or so MPG. Hoping it will get better.

All in all.. I'd do it again... and the best part was the deal. $15,200. They wanted to deal.. and I feel good about what I got.

Good luck in your decision. Ride Safe!

djh3
04-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Ken I had my choices narrowed to 3. Voyager, Victory Cross Country and a RSV. The Cross bike was out due to $$$ I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a new 2011 but dealer also had a 09 RSV with 7400 mi on it. Less money same amount of warrenty left on it and I really liked the feel of it for me. I guess I just did not care for the balance or something. The wife like she has some extra room and dont hit my helmet when shifting or getting on the brakes hard. Oh yea and the pillow top seat. The Kawai is a good bike too. I'm glad your making the chioce cause I'm done. lol

OhSteelerfan
04-12-2012, 07:56 PM
So KenP have you made a choice yet and if it was the Voyager how do you like it.