Couple questions on Voyagers [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Couple questions on Voyagers

djh3
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
From those that put some miles on them. How is the factory seat? Am I going to have to drop another $600 for a seat to ride all day? How is the pasenger seat? Is it comfortable? What do you think about the weight? Seat height? I currently ride a 900 classic, I know its going to be heavier and expect that. I test rode a Vision the other daya and it really seemed heavey when I first got on.

Highwayman2011
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I have a 2010 Voyager. 4800 miles, the seat to me is comfortable for a tank of gas, around 180 to 200 miles, I'm 5'11" with 30 inch inseam the seat height is fine for me. I went from a 1500 Classic to the Voyager and yes it is heavier. Almost 900 pounds. Over all it's a great bike.

djh3
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I read maybe a dozen to dozen and half of owner comments on thier Voyager. Now mind you a good deal of them were on 09 models. I would say maybe 2/3rds of them. I came away 50-50 on weather or not I sould buy one. Some of the really negative things were engine cutting out on decell like pulling up to a light. Heat off engine. Some said they got burns on thier legs from it. I discounded the knuckle head that bitc#ed he got burns on his legs with shorts on. Cant fix stupid, but anyways radio reception poor. Then it sort of looked like as I read on down towards guys that were reporting on thier 2010 and up there wasnt near as much negativity. If I get an close out 2010 do I have to tell the dealer I want the upgraded heat shields and the ecu update? Now I'm really per-plexed.

djh3
01-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Also how do you tell if the "new" heat shield kit is installed? What can a person look foor, any tell tail items?

Highwayman2011
01-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Yes the engine gets warm when stopped in traffic in the summertime, It doesn't bother me. I have no cutting out on decel. I got the Ipod hookup and it works well. Seems to be a ground problem on the antenna for the reception problem. Haven't had a chance to try a different antenna to see if it helps. I use the Ipod on long trips. Oh yea the headset in the helmet works great. Hope this helps with your perplexion.

Fattire
01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
rather a newbie on my 2010 voyager, I was worried about the seat at first, but I got a removable backrest and for some reason the seat feels better, BUT, have not taken it on a long, over 100 miles trip yet....wife loves passenger seat. weight is sometimes an issue when driving in town and stopping often. Has not cut out on me once yet, not even close. As far as heat issue? I live in Florida, its very hot in the summer so, no matter what bike i have, i'll cook for a minute at stop lights. Venting 'lowers' are nice though. Learned I need to get into that OD, gear as soon as i can to improve my mileage.....low fuel light coming on and off is bothersome, not sure just how much fuel (miles to go) i have left.....hope this helps.

djh3
01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Fattire thanks. Looking @ 2 possible 2010 models. One silver and the black/blue metal flake the other is still in the box, lol and its the red and black. Yea in the summer down here even on the 900 you can cook.
The issue of the fuel light and the gauge being erronious comes up quite often. I wonder if it could easily be fixed like my 900 was, or maybe a tweak of the float or something.
So the wife and I was looking at the bike and checking things out. She asks the salesman about the radio/entertainment system. He first says it comes with the MP3 player connection. I'm thinking thats cool. A little later while talking to the parts dude he backs up and rethinks his info after parts fellow questions him. So as of now I dont know if I would get the MP3 connector in a deal or not. So heres somemore of the conversation with these 2 guys. The bass asks about intercom how much and can it be rolled in, what kind of deal you gonig to make etc. So parts man looks the stuff up. WOW something like $365 worth of stuff to get intercomm and music to your head !!!! Well heck I already forget 2/3 of the time I got ear buds in and get off my bike. So my thoughts for the whole sound comm deal are now turing towards something like a Scala or XBi , chatterbox or the like. Need to do some reading up on this option. I wonder how radio/music is thru the tiny helmet speakers I saw today for a Scala. Seemes like a heck of alot better option than a propritariy intercom system.
Seat really has me wondering though. Due to the poor comfort of my 900. It felt good in dealership, but you couldnt stand it for 45 min. New seat $658 back and butt not aching? Priceless

Bluemeanie
01-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Coming from a 1500 to the Voyager about a month ago, to me the seat is as close to perfect as can be. The longest ride so far is about 150 miles and I could have done more. Yes, the bike is heavy, but to me it actually feels lighter than the 1500 did, and slow speed handling isn't bad at all. And as others have said, yes it get's hot, but remember you have a big heat generating engine right under you, and it isn't bad at all when you're moving.

djh3
01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I had smaller engines in some of my 4cyl race cars. LOL I just am a little concerned if it ever gets started going over....... get outa the way Mack. Positioning the handelbars felt good, kind of hard to tell on the floorboards but I cant see how it would be anymore cramped than my 900. I'm thinking I will take off my highway pegs. They look like this. I think I can adjust them to work. http://i.ebayimg.com/t/kuryakyn-dually-highway-pegs-1-inch-clamp-/00/$(KGrHqUOKooE4tmopr7oBO(TjCcU+g~~60_35.JPG

Wild Rice
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
I took the highway pegs off my 1600 classic.. put them on my Voyager... and now I can stretch out and be as comfy as I was on the Classic. Also put a quick release (grasshopper) backrest on.. and can lean back all I want. It does cramp my wife when she rides 2 up... and she's slim. Figure I'll put it in the bag or leave it home when she's with me. Going to dealer for 600 plus check up tomorrow. Hopefully will fix a few nagging problems... trip meter doesn't reset... cruise control won't engage, etc. Otherwise... it's a great ride.

Fattire
04-05-2012, 07:44 AM
after 5 months of Voyager riding, it just feels like i don't have enough room in the seat area, ie, not enough flat surface to move around, dont' need or want alot but the stock area is pretty small before it starts angling up on the gas tank. kinda mushes the 'junk' a bit.......might look at a mustang seat.....the back rest i have helps alot, but still, don't like that my cajones feel like they are being pushed up into my body......(ok, stop laughing at me....no really..)

Wadegster
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Hey Wild Rice, did you get your Cruise Fixed? If so what was the issues? picked up my 2010 yesterday from the Dealer and that seems to be the only thing that doesn't work right now. I did have the engine die once when clutching for a light, after that I used the gears to slow down and haven't had the problem since. I can't even get the cruise light to come on using the button, checked the fuse and it's good. I'm hoping they didn't mess up the ECM when they did the recall like I've read on another post by putting one in for a Nomad w/o cruise or something...

Going to run mine back to the dealer over lunch tomorrow and would like to give them some insight on what to check to fix the cruise. Like to get it sorted before this weekend as I will be doing a 800km trip on Sunday... cheers