Best Backrest for Voyager 1700 [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Best Backrest for Voyager 1700

Wild Rice
02-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm looking to purchas a leftover 2011 Voyager 1700. Who can recommend a good Driver Backrest? I have a mustang with integrated backrest on my '05 1600 Classic. Would be grreat if I could just put these seats on the Voyager, but probably won't fit. Thanks for the help

OhSteelerfan
02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I am also looking into a backrest for my 09 voyager. The oem is crazy priced. I think I'm going to go with the Utopia backrest. I've read on other forums its a very nice backrest. I have a buddy with a grasshopper on his voyager but I don't like it at all. Here is the Utopia web page Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat (http://www.utpr.com/)

tallannie
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I second the Utopia recommendation. I have had two now as well as grasshopper and there is no comparison... the utopia is strong and really adjustable and supports you well enough you can relax into it and ride long....not so grasshopper ....

only downside to Utopia is that it is not easily removable if you ever want to ride without it.....

djh3
02-07-2012, 08:17 PM
My 900 Vulcan I ponied up and bought the Mustang seat with the driver backrest. I just got an 09 Venture and it had the stock seat and a Utopia already on it. So far I like it. I have made a couple of adjustments heigth wise and am workin gon the front to rear adjusment to get it comfrotably for me. I thought on my Kawi I would take the backrest out if I rode 2 up, but she had plenty of room with it on and I was much more comfortable so it stayed on. Same for teh current ride. The utopia folds almost flat onto the drivers seat if need be. Really if you wanted to take it off it like 1 each 1/4" bolt on sort of a hinge point just about seat level. Take it out and the backrest is off. If you decide you can stand teh OEM seat on the Voyager I would recomend the utopia. If you have to go with an aftermarket seat, get one made for it like the Mustang.

rbentnail
02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
...2011 Voyager 1700. Who can recommend a good Driver Backrest?...
5'11", 135 lbs, giant boobs. Your choice of gender :):)

pitchinguy
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
^^^Amen!! But if she's any more than 135 lbs there's not enough room for the OEM backrest. Put a John Deere hot chick back there & you gotta take that sucker off! Wouldn't be so bad if the OEM was made to be easily removable like the Mustang or Grasshopper but it bolts to the bottom of the passenger seat. If your passenger is small, OK. But if she's healthy, look for something easily removable. Removing the OEM back rest only takes a few min but is a PITA when you consider what the thing costs!

2 nice features would be the option to adjust the trunk back 2-3 inches for more room & a quick & easily removable driver back rest...especially for what they charge for the trunk & the backrest!!! I did suggest those ideas on the survey they sent me when I bought my bike but I never heard anything from Kaw.

kc_voyager
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Dont recommend the Kawasaki back rest, my wife is 120# and she was very crowded had one on my HD Ultra and it had a couple inches more room.

OhSteelerfan
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I just installed the Utopia backrest Monday and its great. Easy to install.