Voyager 1700 Communications System [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Voyager 1700 Communications System

Wild Rice
02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Sorry if this is redundant. I tried to post this earlier.. but didn't upload.
I'm picking up my new '11 Voyager 1700 later this week and have a couple of questions about the communications system. I ordered the IPOD adapter, and now realize it only connects to the system and doesn't charge the device while it's playing. Is there a simple way to charge the unit as well?
Also.. I 'probably' won't be installing a CB Radio, but want to install a Sirius/XM device. I have one it in my car and wouldn't miss it. What is the most cost effective way to install Sirius/XM that you've found? Thanks for what I know will be GREAT 'input'. (No pun intended)

Irv

Highwayman2011
02-14-2012, 04:41 PM
There are two different connectors for the Ipod. If you got the strait plug for the headphone jack it won't charge. I got the one with the apple plug about $100 and it charges my Ipod classic. you could just get a basic sat radio and broadcast the signal to the radio. I have a roady xt I use at work that does a fine job. a little velcro, plug it into the power port, find a spot for the antenna, and tune the radio to the proper station.

djh3
02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
You buying the $350 Kawai headsets? I was blown away that I had to buy another $400-500 worth of "accessories" to make the intercom and add on mp3 player work. As it ended up I bought a used Venture and found out you can go aftermarket for most all headset for bikes. Check out J&m headsets if you havent took the plunge. From what I saw the newer Kawasakis take a 7pin set up.

Wild Rice
02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
There are two different connectors for the Ipod. If you got the strait plug for the headphone jack it won't charge. I got the one with the apple plug about $100 and it charges my Ipod classic. you could just get a basic sat radio and broadcast the signal to the radio. I have a roady xt I use at work that does a fine job. a little velcro, plug it into the power port, find a spot for the antenna, and tune the radio to the proper station.

UPDATE:
The one I bought has two connectors on one end and the Ipod connector at the other. This one actualy does charge the IPOD. As far as the XM radio is concerned.. a real low end way of connecting it is to purchase the Sirius/xm 'SNAP', which simply plugs into the input on the fariring... and (I guess) get an antenna... It then tunes to a frequency on the Voyager FM radio. Best Buy wants $59... but if you go to Radio Shack, you get a $30 mail in rebate, and you can have it shiped to your local store (free I believe) I was wondering about the full hookup .. and if that is a better long term solution.

Wild Rice
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I bought a set of Scala headsets for rider and passenger last year. I'm hopeful these will adapt easily to the Voyager. Seems like a lot of 'aftermarket' purchases needed to make all this stuff 'work together'. We'll see. I can't wait to pick up the bike ... probably on Friday... It's supposed to be in low to mid 40's.. so should be able to get it home without trailing it. The dealer is only about 15 mins away. Unfortunately... the weekend is supposed to be back in the 30's. Oh well.. we do live here BY CHOICE! LOL

djh3
02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Hmm dont know about getting your headsets to work. If you have the blue tooth jobs maybe. But here you go again having to buy aftermarket stuff to make them work with the bike. I think I have seen some kind of blue tooth dongle thingy to make the bike stereo work over a BT headset. Only about $150 ha.

Highwayman2011
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
It's not cheap any way you go. I just picked up a new Garmin Zumo 665 with blue tooth, is XM capable and can also be used as an MP3 player. I already have the Kawi headsets so I'll be running the Garmin through the generic Ipod single plug.

djh3
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a Garmin 765t. While not the "motorcycle" approved unit from Garmin it works really well and was way under $200. Has an MP3 player, blue tooth and is route programable. There is a fellow on the venturerider.org site that make a cable up that goes in-line so you can use the BT and talk on the phone if needed. Only issue I have really read about when I was looking for headsets when I was in the market for the Voyager was once you get past like a couple things connected sometimes it will not connect. Most of it was like 2 or 3 guys that ride together and have the Scala sync'd together to talk and then try to do thier phone and then a GPS they couldnt get them all to work and connect.

Wild Rice
02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I bought a waterproof case and handlebar attachment (simple and clean). It keeps the garmin out of the elements and you can see it easily thru the clear face and the touch screen still reponds well.