HELP!!! Concours 1400 FOB question? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

HELP!!! Concours 1400 FOB question?

jtracr
02-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Ok, I picked up a 2009 ZG1400 abs bike that is wrecked but fixable. It was a lien from a tow yard. They have no keys or the FOB needed to start the bike. What will be the easiest and cheapest to get the bike running again? The dealer is telling me a new ecu, FOB and key. PLUS pull the tires and get the numbers off the wheel sensors! I am looking at close to $1500 that way. Does anybody have an aftermarket program that can program FOB to this system? This just seems crazy to me.

If anyone can solve this and save me my sanity, I will make it worth your time!!!! lol
Thanks.
Jeff Ball
951-906-8066

GREENISBEST
02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Ok, I picked up a 2009 ZG1400 abs bike that is wrecked but fixable. It was a lien from a tow yard. They have no keys or the FOB needed to start the bike. What will be the easiest and cheapest to get the bike running again? The dealer is telling me a new ecu, FOB and key. PLUS pull the tires and get the numbers off the wheel sensors! I am looking at close to $1500 that way. Does anybody have an aftermarket program that can program FOB to this system? This just seems crazy to me.

If anyone can solve this and save me my sanity, I will make it worth your time!!!! lol
Thanks.
Jeff Ball

And the Dealers advice is correct.

The Fobs are coded to the ECU at Factory and to find someone able to carry out this proceedure outside the Factory is gonna be a tall order.

GREENISBEST
02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Just had a thought.
It would be worth while trying to track down the PO and see if he still has the spare Fob in his possession.

jtracr
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
thanks for the reply. I have spent a few weeks trying to find the owner with no luck. I even offered a "reward" to him if he would contact me. I am just stumped on all this. if there is no way to program a FOB, why can you buy a FOB from the dealer without buying a ECU? Kawasaki can't even answer that question! It just does'nt all add up.

HELP!!!!

GREENISBEST
02-28-2012, 03:45 AM
I don't know which Kawasaki Dealer you are using but it's not uncommon to find Dealers which are un-familiar with New technology, Why ? I don't know because the information is readily available to them if they look.
And the answer i obvious or should be to them !!

You can register/deregister up to 6 Fobs but to do this you need two important things.

1) Access to KDS (Kawasaki Diagnostic Software) and the ability to use this.
2) To be able to turn on the Bikes Ignition

SO
You can purchase new Fob's but to code them into the ECU you need to connect the Bike to KDS and then turn on the Ignition.

You can see where you problem lies now ?

I had a customer who purchased a used 1400 and lost both Fobs at the same time, He kicked the idea around for me to "Get The Ignition On" by other means but i declined informing him more harm than good would insue going down that road if things got messed up..

He purchased a new ECU 1,100 inc vat/tax but the good news was it came with 2 coded Fobs :mrgreen:

ndbrit
02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
If do not have the fob you need an ECU that is the way it is

jtracr
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
After 40 or so telephone calls and the help of you guys, I ACTUALLY learned something!!!! I guess that is the downfall of being thick headed. Lets put another "turn" to the question then. To try and save a few bucks, if I bought a ECU and FOB's from a wrecked bike from a salvage yard would that work? I have looked on ebay and there are ECU's available for this bike. Could I just buy a used one with the FOB's that were programed to it, install it and ride away? Or would it need to be programmed to this bike? Or am I just trying to open a whole new can of worms????
Thanks for the help. Why does'nt someone just buy this bike off me "as is" and then I will get my sanity back?!?!??!!

Steammaker
02-29-2012, 02:11 AM
jtracr,
:) Welcome to the Forum. Sorry your having these problems. But you get a big "E" for effort in MY opinion. It brings a tear to my eye to see someone else that has to scrap to keep thing working for themselves. I mean that in a good way. Hope you get a chance to enjoy that bike. :newyear:

GREENISBEST
02-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Jeff don't beat yourself up ! We all learn from our mistakes and it would be reasonable to assume you could go buy another couple of Fobs and be on your way :)
Even the Dealer didn't know about replacement Fobs !

There is no reason why you can't source a used ECU and Fobs (At least 1 Fob) and fit it to the Bike, There is no coding to the Bike so to speak.

BUT

And this is a small can of worms.
You must make sure the ECU and Fob/s are for your Model Bike, I'll explain.

The Fobs and Wheel Sensors communicate with the ECU via radio waves and depending on what Country the Bike was shipped to New determines which frequency is used for comms.
There are 2 Frequencies used.

434 MHz EU, AUS, SEA
315 MHz US, CA, CAL

Assuming your in the States your Bike will comm on 315 MHz.
If you post the Bikes Vin number i can identify the Model for ya.

You will also have to Code in the Wheel sensors for them to work, And to read the Codes you will need to remove both Sensors as the Codes are located on the Sensor body.

GREENISBEST
02-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Just had a thought.

You say you picked the Bike up from a yard wrecked but fixable.

I hope it is NOT a non runner due to the damage and they say "Fobs Were Lost" so this fact could not be identified at purchase.

This would worry me somewhat..

ricksza
02-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Aren't you just the ray of sunshine........just kidding.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

GREENISBEST
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Aren't you just the ray of sunshine........just kidding.

Funny you should say that.......See my Avatar http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/geenisbest/SMILEYS/wink.gif

DeansZG
04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Well....... what's the outcome or are you still sorting out your options?

K12GT
04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
The front door method are as others are stating above, bite the bullet and purchase an ECU with FOBS. Your suggestion of finding a used bike with ECU and fobs has merrit and may be a good way to go. You'll just need to locate a set in a salvage yard, but you take a risk of buying a used electonic part. will the salavage yard accept a return on a defective ECU, after you have plugged it into your bike? I doubt it, and very unlikely. I bet that item is at least $500.00 at the salvage yard, maybe more. Just a caution by saying "Buyer Beware."

I would verify with the factory shop manual, or with a "TRUSTED Kawasaki Dealership," just how many fobs can be programed to the ECU, and if it is in fact more than two, how come others are asking you to buy the ECU, along with the FOBS.

Other makes and models allow additional FOBS to be programmed to the original ECU. That does not mean Kawasaki does the same but it would be worth further investigation with the right dealership.

A freind of mine has a 2009 C14, I'll consult his shop manual and see what it says about the FOBS. With this being a Manufacterer/ Dealer only item, the Shop Manual may be limited, but I'll check and get back to you.

Another information source specific to your bike is COG, Concours Owners Group, are you familiar with them?

Regards.

K12GT
04-02-2012, 10:57 AM
J:

Here is what the Kaw shop manual says about the 09 C14 on KPASS.

The KIPASS ECU must be replaced if you lose all the registered FOB keys.
*Although up to six FOB keys can be registered in the KIPASS ECU, the KIPASS ECU must be
replaced if you lose all the FOB keys.
*Once a piece of memory is used for registering a key in the KIPASS ECU, that piece of memory
cannot be reused.
*If you lose even one FOB key, we recommend that you re-register the transponders.
*Unlike the conventional immobilizer key, there is no master key. If you recover a lost FOB key, you will be able to use it by re-registering it.

So ultimately I think you are down to buying new, or finding the right deal at a salvage yard. Before you go to a salvage yard, I would consult with a Trusted Dealership to see if any programming will be needed, I would hate to buy those items out of a scrap yard just to find out that you may still be tied to a dealership needing to access the used processor, some dealerships may not want to go that route. AKA, they want to sell the new unit.

Regards.

K12GT

K12GT
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
J:

I found a possible alternate option with the following company below.

Carmo Electronics (Located in the Netherlands) has been repairing CDI's and motorcycle electronic hardware since 1994. As a coincidence, they are currently refurbishing the IC Igniter on my KZ1300. As I was scanning their webpage, I noticed they re-key CPU's, provided you can find two blanks, or it appears they can provide them. It might be worth a call to them to see if they can provide what you need. I know this will depend on Kaw being able to sell you two blanks by themselves.

Main site address where componets are repaired: Alle sleutels kwijt? : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski (http://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=page&id=27)

Their US contact is: Contact Us : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski (http://www.cdidoctor.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=i8s9l688g2jmuj7ml2dq9520r2)

From their webpage:"Lost all keys?
Around the ignition switch of many motorbikes, there is a plastic ring. This ring contains a receiver which reads the key and communicates with the ECM/ECU-unit (or dashboard if it's a Ducati motorcycle).
If you have one working key, we can provide you with more immobilizer keys. You can get the keys from your dealer or from Carmo.

If you have lost all keys it is impossible to make new keys work.
Or is it?

Send your ECU-unit with one or two new keys (Available at your motorcycle dealer, or you can order them here) to Carmo electronics and we will make the new keys work. Everything will work as it originally did, including the immobilizer and the light on your dashboard.
So there's no need to buy expensive new ECU/ECM-units or a new dashboard.

Send the following items to Carmo electronics:
-ECM/ECU-unit of your motorcycle (or dashboard for Ducati motorcycles).
-One or two new chipkeys (or we can order them for you)
-Copy of your original purchase papers

Within 3 days we will send everything back!"

I have just started the repair process with my computer, so I have no feed back to provide yet. In a few days, I hope to have a report Pass or Fail and a recommended repair from the engineer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Regards.

K12GT
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Also I just called a local Kawasaki Dealership in Woodburn OR and they said they would sell me two blanks, without the ECU.

Taylor Motorcycles, Inc (http://www.taylormotorcycles.com)

stevepmcg
06-15-2012, 04:46 PM
K12GT.

Intersted to find out if the blanks snt with ECU worked?

Steve

K12GT
06-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Steve:

With the tread started in Feb, I see jtracr hasn't responded in a while. The blank key was only a question in to a local Kaw shop (On J's behalf.) Confirming for himJ, that a Dealer can in fact order blank Keys, to be programmed locally by the shop.

I wonder the same, or he may have gone the salvage yard route, or abandoned the project all together.

Hummmmmm................... J are you out there??????

stevepmcg
06-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Dohhhhhh.

Amazing how only 2 hrs sleep last night can fog your brain. I related the original post to you lol.

Steve

MGvalerio
08-11-2012, 03:34 PM
La GTR 1400 Kawasaki MY 2007/ 2009 /

io so come potere avere accensione motore senza la FOB Key.

MGvalerio.

GREENISBEST
08-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Proseguire spiega come raggiungere questo favore. Sono interessato.
Although English would be preferable :)

MGvalerio
08-11-2012, 04:36 PM
With video clips show how to start the engine without the key fob,
but only in MP.

Mgvalerio.

imported_cookie_monster
12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
.............there was no reason a simple key and switch wouldn't have done the same job as the ECU/FOB combo. Would've been cheaper too. But Kawasaki has always been known to be on top of technology. Beyond that, I have nothing else to add that's worthwhile. I've been down this road and yes....the ECU/FOB is the only option if you have no FOB's to match the current ECU.

rbentnail
12-09-2012, 05:47 AM
That so, so sux. Have you seen that tv commercial where the guy's dog eats the car fob and he carries it around to drive, lock the doors etc.? No thanks, give me a plain ol' key and tumbler set anytime. I'm adept enough to be able to modify them so on my bike 6 different locks (3 aftermarket ones) all take the same key.