WHAT'S THE BEST TIRES FOR MY 2007 ZZR600 [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

WHAT'S THE BEST TIRES FOR MY 2007 ZZR600

chosen13
03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I just bought a 2007 zzr600 last year july, and haven't stopped riding since I purchased it. I presently have the Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 Pro tires, but I'm looking to see what would be a good upgrade. I'm riding more confident and agressively, so I need them to be sticky, and I ride year round (weather permitting), so I need a tire that's going to perform well in low temps and wet conditions also. Is there any tire that are prime for Kawi's? A friend suggested the Michellin Pilot Road 3, or the Michellin Power Pilot 2CT. Another friend suggested the Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3. Since the zzzr600 is classed as a sports touring bike, and not strictly a sportsbike, I'm a little confused as to which tire to run with. Someone help me please!

Galaxieman
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
There are a number of good choices. The topic of 'which tires' usually spirals off-course into a discussion similar to 'which oil?', as many people are opinionated and quickly get overly defensive. I'm completely not espoused to any particular tire brand, so I'll just mention a couple of options.

For the most part, modern sportbike or sport touring tires are capable of performance beyond the the skill level of the pink squidgy bit on the top of the bike (us, the riders). That said, what you'll be looking at is a tradeoff in stickiness vs tire life. The BT016 is a sport tire, as is the Pilot Power 2CT you mentioned above. Another couple of sport tire options are the Dunlop Sportmax Q2 and the Pirelli Supercorsa. As far as street riding goes, the modern sport touring tires are capable of performance beyond what should be used on the street, so it's more about turn-in feel, etc. The PR3s and Pirelli Corsas you mentioned are good tires, as are the Pirelli Angel STs, and the Bridgestone BT023s.

As I said, even the 'sport touring' tires are more than capable on the street. In order to actually reach the limits of the tire one would have to ride at a pace significantly above posted speed limits, especially with the advent of multiple-compound tires. You can go faster on the track with pure 'sport' tires, and on the street they'll offer a bit more 'extra traction budget' for when you find that you've burned into a corner too hot and have to adjust your line or bleed off some speed with the brakes mid-corner. However, they'll also wear out significantly faster since the compounds used are designed for more grip at the expense of tire life. Look at the reviews, and pay attention to things like which tire 'turns in faster', or 'holds a line better mid-corner', as you'll want to pick whichever tire suits your riding style best.