Voyager 1700 Trunk Extenders [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Voyager 1700 Trunk Extenders

Wild Rice
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
I was searching online for a Cup Holder and was pointed to the Marvellas Web Site. While there, I noticed they were selling a Trunk Extender. It said it was for the Voyager 1700, but when I clicked on it... it identified the 1200 model instead. Does anyone know if the Trunk can be adjusted back. My wife who is slim complains of not having much room to maneuver. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Highwayman2011
03-14-2012, 06:29 PM
I moved mine back about 3 inches with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 perforated square steel tubing I picked up at Lowes.There are only 4 bolts holding the trunk on and I had to drill two holes and purchase some longer bolts but if you have a day to spend you can do it. Painted the pieces flat black so it looks like part of the frame. The wires are plenty long enough the trunk no longer fits down in the plasichrome but my wife has lots of room.

Wild Rice
03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Looks like Marvella has taken the heavy lifting out of the retrofit.... IF they will fit the 1700 model. It says it fits the 1200 and 1700 model, but when you click on the link, it shows ONLY the 1200. I've contacted them and asked the question. Hopefully it will fit. To your point, the stock set up is too confining to give the rider any reasonable comfort. Add a Driver backrest (which I have) and it's way too tight. Thanks for your response.

Wild Rice
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I moved mine back about 3 inches with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 perforated square steel tubing I picked up at Lowes.There are only 4 bolts holding the trunk on and I had to drill two holes and purchase some longer bolts but if you have a day to spend you can do it. Painted the pieces flat black so it looks like part of the frame. The wires are plenty long enough the trunk no longer fits down in the plasichrome but my wife has lots of room.

I sent an email to the folks at Marvellas, inquiring whether the trunk extender they have will fit the 1700 series. Just got their response. Apparently they had a major fire earlier this month and it wiped them out. Involved their building and all of their product. That sucks. Hopefully they had enough insurance that they can rebuild and continue offering great products. I'm surprised they answered my email, considering their mindset. Says a lot about their customer service ethic.

Highwayman2011
03-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I got some highway pegs for my 1700 Voyager a couple months ago and the invoice had a hand written note thanking me for the purchase. I'll be buying more from them in the future.

pitchinguy
03-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Very interesting. Got any pics? Would like to see some pics from the side & close up.

My wife is not so slim & I have to remove my backrest when she rides & that's a PITA since Kaw didn't make the driver backrest removable or the trunk adjustable. I hadn't given the idea of making brackets myself much thought.

Highwayman2011
03-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm working on pictures.

Wild Rice
03-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm working on pictures.

Yes, I'd like to see the pictures of what you crafted as well, as it seems nobody is selling any aftermarket solution. thanks in advance.

Highwayman2011
03-19-2012, 06:57 PM
You can see the 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 perforated tube. They are 15" long bolted down into the rack and then the box is bolted up to the tubes(so the threads stick up) 3" back.

Highwayman2011
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Pictures by Highwayman2012 - Photobucket (http://s1150.photobucket.com/albums/o611/Highwayman2012/) Working on more pictures....hope these help.

Iutbapdg
04-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Having the same issue. My passenger is squished!! Any aftermarket trunk extenders I can find out there 2012 voyager abs.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

Highwayman2011
04-23-2012, 07:15 AM
You might have to make them. I couldn't find any.

Iutbapdg
05-15-2012, 09:33 PM
I had a mechanic customize a solution that moved the trunk back. The cost was 1000 dollars but it's worth it!!! It looks fantastic and you don't even know anything was done ( if you didn't know the original config.).

Iutbapdg
05-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Two more pics of the finished job.

Highwayman2011
05-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Looks nice.

BWSheldon
06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Nice pictures, just curious. I could not find any "Specification" on how much weight the trunk can supposedly hold. I know, lightest stuff stored highest if at all possible, but when considering mounts for moving the trunk, how strong do the brackets have to be? Was thinking about making an adjustable mount so I can slide the trunk back say 3-4 inches depending on who is riding with me.

Guidosarducci
06-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Some good work there, sorry but y'all should have spent the extra 3k for a Victory Vision tons of room between me and my gf who is slim and even if she wasn't still plenty of room. More goodies to boot :P

BWSheldon
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Some good work there, sorry but y'all should have spent the extra 3k for a Victory Vision tons of room between me and my gf who is slim and even if she wasn't still plenty of room. More goodies to boot :P

The VV styling just didn't rock my boat if you know what I mean. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it though and wish you many safe miles!

Guidosarducci
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
The VV styling just didn't rock my boat if you know what I mean. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it though and wish you many safe miles!

I hear ya but I have so many people saying to m man that bike is freakin awesome!! lol I get looked at alot