Premium audio system question [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Premium audio system question

miamited
03-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I am going to put a faring on my 08 Nomad. It already has the premium audio system. My thought was to tap into that for speakers in the faring instead of having to buy another stereo.

I have search the net and have not found a wiring schematic for it so that I will know which wires are for the left and right audio going into the headsets. I know I will have to use an amp to drive the speakers, I just need to know which wires to tap into.

Thanks.
Ted

djh3
03-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm confused, sorry. What has the premium stereo? The bike or the fairing? What kind of stereo? If it alredy has speakers it should be relativly easy. What kind of fairing? Depending on what kind of speakers you may not need an amp, if you do I got a ampthat was about 1"x4"x4" off e-bay for about $12 that worked great. You can even get one that has an SD card slot to load MP3 on it.

miamited
03-18-2012, 08:00 PM
The Kawi stereo mounts in the left bag with a controller on the left handlebar. It works with headsets that you put in your helmet. I will be ordering a faring from extreme that I will be putting speakers in. The output from the stereo is enough for the headsets, but not for speakers. I have the 50 watt amp that I took off my old bike that I would use. I would use the amp just to drive the speakers. The stereo has an ipod interface that I would use for long rides. Here is a link about the Kawi stereo. Kawasaki News (http://www.kawasaki.com/newsevents/NewsDetail.aspx?id=659)

miamited
03-18-2012, 08:07 PM
The link didn't stay in my post. It is called Kawasaki Premium Audio System.

djh3
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Ah OK I didnt know anything like that was available. Nice they did something like that. How much room do you loose in that bag? My Venture has a 6 disc CD changer in the left bag and I think if we take a trip 2 up it will come out so I can have the space. Not an option in your case. I would try the speakers prior to mounting up the fairing just for grins to see if they work. I can tell you that even on my Venture much above 45 and the speakers are sort of hard to hear. On my 900 you just simply couldnt hear them at all. I had 4ea 4.25 speakers and the amp and still all you could hear above 45 or so it was just sort of noise, no decernable music. So your system has headsets, does it have an intercomm system too? How many pin connector do you have? If its a 5 pin set up I have a diagrham I'll send you. Easiest way to find out which is what is to just make a couple of jumper pins. use like a paper clip and straghten it out so it will go into your connector, then hook a speaker up to it and see if you can get anything out. I ended up on my 900 making hook ups for ear buds for longer trips.

miamited
03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
It is a AM FM weather radio with intercom. There is a rider coiled cable that is just for radio, and intercom cables for rider and passenger that have microphones. The passenger com cable has a push to talk button. There are optional addons for satellite radio, CB radio, and Ipod interface. Mine has the ipod interface. It came with a set of pockets that cover the back of the left saddle bag that is designed to hold each option in a separate pocket. That takes up a lot of space. I took that out and mounted the radio in the upper right corner. with velcro. It takes up almost no space. I think it measures about 4 inches square and about 1 1/2 inch thick. It is not a cheap system, going for about $650.00 if I remember correctly. It was already on the bike when I bought it.

On my old bike (97 Shadow Spirit) I had one of the shark stereo systems. The one that is advertised as 250 watts. That is at 2 ohm so with 8 ohm speakers, it really was only 62.5 watts. I had a cobra exhaust system on it that was very loud and still could hear that stereo up to about 65 or 70 mph. The faring will have Boston Acoustic 6x9 coaxials, so the sound will be better than those cheap little 3" speakers that came with the amp.

miamited
03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Here is a link to a few pictures of the part of the system that mounts in the saddlebag.
Vulcan Nomad pictures by miamited - Photobucket (http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/miamited/Vulcan%20Nomad/)

miamited
04-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Update.... I contacted Kawasaki and they gave me the contact information for the company that makes the stereo for them. This company makes the stereos for them, Harley and several other companies. After several emails back and forth, they finally told me which wires to tap into. Ran a test today with my amp hooked up to my battery charger and the Boston Accoustics 6 x 9 speakers that I will be using. I taped into the three wires and the speakers sounded great just sitting on my workbench. I will be ordering the faring from wreckless. I have already verified that they will sell with just the speaker openings and no radio opening.

Both sides use a common ground. white.
left + green
right + black