New 2011 Voyager - Horrible Mileage?? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

New 2011 Voyager - Horrible Mileage??

Wild Rice
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Picked up my new 2011 Voyager at the dealer two weeks ago... and haven't been able to putmuch mileage on it due to weather (New England) and leg problems. but...over the past couple of days I've put on about 250 miles. The bike was 'full' when I picked it up, but that may be a 'Dealer Full' issue.

So, when the fuel light came on, I pulled in and fed it some 90 octane shell fuel. I took a fairly short ride and the tank is now at 1/4 full. So.. my big question is: What expectations should I have about mileage on this beast. I know it's heavier than the 1600 Classic I traded in. But the Classic got in the low/mid 40's. At this rate, it looks like I'm getting 20 MPG with the Voyager? Anyone else having mileage issues with this model Voyager?

OhSteelerfan
03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I have a 2009 voyager I bought used with 3000 miles last spring. I put about 8000 on last summer and never got over 40mpg. This week around town I'm around 32 mpg. You will not get close to what you where getting with your 1600.

djh3
03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Wild I dunno about your 1600, but my 900 gas gauge was terrible in orginal form. Sounds about the same, fill up and maybe 50-60 miles its down to 3/4. A hundred more and its on the red. It would run forever on the red before the light came on. The light is the key. Your not down to the last say 1/2gal until the light is on. The 1/2 gal reference is on the 900 I have no idea what the 1700 is. I looked up on Gadgets site and installed a resistor in the circuit and corrected my problem. Some guys got the sending units replaced (not many) some bent the floats in the tank to try to get it better.
I am trying to figure out my Venture gas gauge now too. I am really hesitant about how far a tank will go and then figure in reserve. But atleast I have a reserve. lol On a mpg guess I would say if you get in the 36-38 range youll be doing good. Maybe 42 on a long highway strech. I mean come on you got 1000lb worth of bike your movin there, and a bigger engine then my first VW.

Highwayman2011
03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I have a 2010 and riding solo mileage is above 40 mpg, haven't checked it two up but I'm sure it goes down. When fuel warning comes on I have a gallon left. When you filled up how much did you put in? If you keep the bike standing strait up you will get a little more in.

Wild Rice
03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
I have a 2010 and riding solo mileage is above 40 mpg, haven't checked it two up but I'm sure it goes down. When fuel warning comes on I have a gallon left. When you filled up how much did you put in? If you keep the bike standing strait up you will get a little more in.

I typically fill it up on it's stand, so it's not topped off. Not sure how much more itwould take if it were level, but the real issue isn't how much is in.. but how much does it USE... one up .. two up... whatever. My 1600 with the same gas tank got close to 250 miles before I had to fill up. I'm hopeful this will hold true once it gets broken in. Put some more miles on today.. got familiar with some of the switches while riding.... (audio system, etc.). Still can't get the cruise control set to kick in. I'll be taking it back to Dealer for 600/1000 mile checkup. How much do your Kawi dealers usually charge for this service?

kc_voyager
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I rode an HD Ultra for 3 years and it took me awhile to learn how to ride my 2011 Voyager, it loves 2000- 2400 RPM, use 5th & 6th/OD lots, watch your mileage go up. I get anywhere from 36 to 40 on the hwy. but I can trash those numbers "BIG TIME" by getting on the throttle hard. Cruiser Mag says 32 mpg and the sweet spot is 3500 rpm but reading his artical makes me think he is an HD rider. Enjoy all that torque and let her CHUGG!!!

pat0021
03-20-2012, 05:46 AM
I have a 2009 voyager I bought used with 3000 miles last spring. I put about 8000 on last summer and never got over 40mpg. This week around town I'm around 32 mpg. You will not get close to what you where getting with your 1600.

Really Dan that low? What is Ed getting? My friend Scott has the 2010 just like Ed and I thought he was getting around 40. I have been getting 40 on the Victory.

OhSteelerfan
03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Really Dan that low? What is Ed getting? My friend Scott has the 2010 just like Ed and I thought he was getting around 40. I have been getting 40 on the Victory.

Ed added cobra tri ovals to his and only getting a couple more mpg than me. He never hit 40 or over Sunday.

DanL
03-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I'd run a few tanks and keep track of what you put in and how many miles you went and do some math. Right hand certainly has an effect, twist hard, watch the gas gauge go down!

Classic
03-24-2012, 10:41 AM
What I would do is start off with a known full tank that was filled with the bike on the side stand and zero out the trip meter. Go for a ride of at least 100 miles avoiding stop and go stuff as much as possible. Fill up the bike again on the side stand like before, check the gallons used, trip meter reading and do the math. I'm suggesting using the side stand when filling up to make sure the conditions are as identical as possible to rule out any variables. Also ride normally avoiding hard acceleration. I suspect you'll find your mileage to be around 36 mpg which is typical for that bike from all the reading I did last year when we were in the touring bike market. That average mileage plus the 5.3 gallon tank was the main reason we ruled out the Voyager.

Wild Rice
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Not to hijack the thread... your comment about 'zeroing out the trip meter' raises another flag I have to have them look at for it's 1000 mile checkup next week. I can't zero the trips.. and the cruise control does not engage either. Sounds like the whole right side control unit is screwed. We'll see how the dealer handles this.

Back to the mileage... I did notice it was reading about 34-35 mgp average.. so at least it's going up. I'm also going to have them put in AMSOIL during the 1000 mi oil change/checkup.

OhSteelerfan
03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I switched to amsoil this year and the bike seems to run a bit better with it. Now if only I could get rid of the constant rattle I hear from the front, the darn front end wobble and the excessive heat I might just have a decent bike after all.

Classic
03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
The Voyager tells you your current mpg? If so, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe it over doing the actual computation. That's like that stupid "Eco" light on new cars that tells you when you're driving Eco friendly.

OhSteelerfan
03-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Yes the Voyager does calculate the current mpg. I'm sure it may be a little off but I doubt its much. The Voyager just does not get good fuel mileage compared to other big touring bikes. I ride with 1800 Goldwing, HD ultra classic and both get better mpg than I do. Pat0021 just got a new Victory Cross Country Tour and is average better mpg.

pat0021
03-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah depending on my wrist control I have gone from 36mpg to 47mpg. But avearage is about 40 to 42mpg on the new bike. When I have done the calculations at the gas pumps and compared to the trip computer they have been close. Maybe 1mpg different. A little off topic but I finally got the GPS hooked up to the bike and I couldn't believe that the speedo on this bike is, wait for it........ accurate. After 6 years of my 9 with an inaccurate speedo its nice to know what I see is what I am doing.

Dan time to trade up! They have demo bikes now at Bair in Canton. They have a Vision, Cross Country, and Cross Country Tour to demo. Plus first weekend in May Victory is bringing the demo truck.

OhSteelerfan
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Well Pat if I could trade up without taking a beating I would do it in a heartbeat. I really think overall the Cross Country Tour is a better bike than the Voyager. I think this will be the last Kawasaki I buy. I will probably be stuck with it for another 4 years at least.

Classic
03-31-2012, 07:56 AM
A little off topic but I finally got the GPS hooked up to the bike and I couldn't believe that the speedo on this bike is, wait for it........ accurate. After 6 years of my 9 with an inaccurate speedo its nice to know what I see is what I am doing.

Yeah, did the same test on the Wing when we got it last year. When I saw the gps and speedometer in perfect agreement, I initially thought something was wrong with the gps. It's nice to not have to mentally calculate for the 10% error Kawasaki thoughtfully builds into their motorcycle speedometers.

Wild Rice
04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
UPDATE AT 850 MILES - did the '600 mile service' and had AMSOIL installed. Now... with about 1200 miles.. my AVERAGE MGP is about 37... so it looks like it's getting MUCH BETTER once it's getting broken in. That's a good thing since every gas pump in New England is over $4.00/gallon for anything close to recommended octane. Hopefully it will continue getting better. Now if I could get rid of the transmission CLUNKING in low gears.... Hmmmmmmm.

djh3
04-25-2012, 09:13 PM
You might look into adding octane booster to lower grade gas. You have to do some math and figure out if its worth buying the booster and mixing it when you get gas or just buying the higher octane gas. I thought the Voyagers ran on 87? I usually carry a couple bottles I have premeasured for injector/carb cleaner and add when on a longer trip. I have done the same with booster.

Nomad 2011
04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't have a voyager, but my nomad 1700 gets around 29 calculated and 31-32 in city according to the puter on the multifunction display. I have not clocked highway only mileage yet. Not that good.

gnomad
05-14-2012, 04:01 PM
I just picked up a 2012 Voyager and with about 500 miles on it I am averaging right around 39 mpg. As stated above these things love to run around 2000 rpm.

HELLMAN
06-07-2012, 12:45 AM
I have used 87 89 and 91 octain and to be honest I can tell absolutely no difference in anything, other than cost. I actually do think that maybe my 2010 voyager 1700, gets maybe a mile per gallon better using the 89. I think I will start using an octain booster to see how it works. Cuz when you hit the 91 octain button at the pump the first gallon is what ever was used before and most likly would be the 87 octain. My last 3 tank fulls have been 39.2, 39.8 and light just came on today but haven't filled up yet but indicator is at 40.3. and was as high as 40.8. I just turned 6300 plus miles and it is running better and better everyday. I am going to have to trike it though. Getting old ain't for sissy's! Even though I may look like one going down the road on a trike. Hope I like it. I;ll learn to like it cuz I don't want to quit riding.
Dale

T'Pol
06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
UPDATE AT 850 MILES - did the '600 mile service' and had AMSOIL installed. Now... with about 1200 miles.. my AVERAGE MGP is about 37... so it looks like it's getting MUCH BETTER once it's getting broken in. That's a good thing since every gas pump in New England is over $4.00/gallon for anything close to recommended octane. Hopefully it will continue getting better. Now if I could get rid of the transmission CLUNKING in low gears.... Hmmmmmmm.

ZOMG in England petrol is currently 1.30 - 1.40 per litre!

18wheelfixer
06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
ZOMG in England petrol is currently 1.30 - 1.40 per litre!

Converted to US dollars and gallons... At 1.35 per liter, they are paying $7.89 for a gallon of gas in England.

T'Pol
06-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the conversion 18wheelfixer.

Maybe 1700 wasn't the best policy, still this may be my last chance to ever afford to run such a beast, five years from now I'll probably have to ride a 250!

Vtrike
06-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I HAVE A 2011 VOYAGER WITH A TRIKE KIT ON IT. i am getting 37 mpg with 1300 miles on it. It got better as it broke in. HOPE THIS HELPS.

gnomad
06-14-2012, 11:54 AM
I just got back from North Carolina riding up the Blue Ridge Parkway. My onboard display reads 41 mpg, actually computing the numbers showed mostly getting 42 mpg.

HELLMAN
06-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I HAVE A 2011 VOYAGER WITH A TRIKE KIT ON IT. i am getting 37 mpg with 1300 miles on it. It got better as it broke in. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Hey Vtrike, welcome to the forum. You will gain much knowledge from others as time goes on.

What type of trike kit did you use? I just ordered the Voyager trike kit to put on my voyager, it is actually called a voyager trike kit which is the brand name. Pictures to me if you will at [email protected]

Take care

Vtrike
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Hello...
I HAVE a California side car kruser installed. Bought this bike new from dealer feb this year. Love the bike so far, except for tranny noise. Kit brings weight
Up to 1300 #. Rides and handles very well. I will send a pix later. New to this site.

Talk to you later
Bob