2011 Voyager Excess Heat Fix [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2011 Voyager Excess Heat Fix

Wild Rice
04-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know if the 2012 Voyager Exhaust Heat 'Fix' will be available for earlier models as a recall or factory authorized repair? I've just purchased a 2011 at an extremely good price as a 'leftover', and know there was an additional upgrade to the 2012 models that has basically eliminated most of the heat issue. thanks for any response.

OhSteelerfan
04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
I have talked to many dealers and all have said its unlikely for a fix for the older models.

wbilotta
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
The 'heat fix' Kawasaki installed on the 2012's does not fit earlier models without a few modifications. The upper and lower radiator hoses need to be replaced with the 2012 hoses and the radiator needs to be moved forward to make room for the new fan shroud.

Some guys have tried installing a homemade shroud made from an oil drain pan but this only made the bike run hotter because the air had no place to go.

OhSteelerfan
04-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I keeping on eye on the forums to see if someone has success retro fitting the kit to the older models. I wish kury would make saddle shields for the Voyager like they do for HD.

63Biker
04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm the "guy" who made the shroud with an oil pan. Just to set the record straight, the bike DOES NOT run any hotter with the oil pan installed to deflect the heat downward. The fan still comes on in traffic when the temp guage reaches one mark above the center as before. And the heat no longer blows back at the rider. I am still evaluating the mod to see if it caused any problems but so far so good. HTH
The 'heat fix' Kawasaki installed on the 2012's does not fit earlier models without a few modifications. The upper and lower radiator hoses need to be replaced with the 2012 hoses and the radiator needs to be moved forward to make room for the new fan shroud.

Some guys have tried installing a homemade shroud made from an oil drain pan but this only made the bike run hotter because the air had no place to go.

Nomad 2011
04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
I just installed the shroud, seals, upper and lower radiator hoses. I have a 2010 Nomad. I had to move the radiator 1 inch forward to accomodate the shroud. Since you have a voyager, you would have to look up the part numbers and compare between your bike and the 2012 voyager, which is what I did. I ordered 9 parts, plus longer bolts, washers, etc. Make sure you install all the seals, there are 6 of them, if you don't, it will still blow hot air on you. I noticed the fan runs longer, and today the temperature was above 85F, and in traffic, the fan runs all the time. I don't know how much the fan runs on the voyager to compare it to. My bike has not overheated, but I don't have a temp gauge either. It did eliminate the blast furnace effect when the fan comes on, I'm just not sure how much the fan should run with the shroud. I would assume more since it is more restrictive than the open radiator.

Nomad 2011
04-28-2012, 01:55 PM
I just installed the shroud, seals, upper and lower radiator hoses. I have a 2010 Nomad. I had to move the radiator 1 inch forward to accomodate the shroud. Since you have a voyager, you would have to look up the part numbers and compare between your bike and the 2012 voyager, which is what I did. I ordered 9 parts, plus longer bolts, washers, etc. Make sure you install all the seals, there are 6 of them, if you don't, it will still blow hot air on you. I noticed the fan runs longer, and today the temperature was above 85F, and in traffic, the fan runs all the time. I don't know how much the fan runs on the voyager to compare it to. My bike has not overheated, but I don't have a temp gauge either. It did eliminate the blast furnace effect when the fan comes on, I'm just not sure how much the fan should run with the shroud. I would assume more since it is more restrictive than the open radiator.

Update: now that the weather is above 85F, the fan runs constantly, even when moving or going down highway. Guess its time to get rid of this rolling oven, I have never had a bike that ran this hot.

OhSteelerfan
04-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Well I hate to hear the fan runs all the time. I had mine out for a short time today. It was only 80 and the heat from the bike was crazy. I'm sure the fan running all the time would be a problem and replacing the fan probably not cheap. Kawi dropped the ball on this. I don't care what anyone says the 1700 run ALOT hotter than HD does.

Nomad 2011
05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Update: now that the weather is above 85F, the fan runs constantly, even when moving or going down highway. Guess its time to get rid of this rolling oven, I have never had a bike that ran this hot.

Today I had the cooling system flushed and installed engine ice, I could tell no difference. In traffic, above 80F, I never notice the fan shut off, always on

Highwayman2011
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Did you change the exhaust or wrap the pipes? I've got a 2010 Voyager and the heat isn't that bad, it's stock.

Nomad 2011
05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Did you change the exhaust or wrap the pipes? I've got a 2010 Voyager and the heat isn't that bad, it's stock.

The bike is stock. I'm not going to wrap the headers because I would think it would cause corrosion. The voyager is different in that it has fairings that my nomad does not have, which may direct the heat better. My only solution is to sell the bike.

bschmidt
05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I cant believe Kawi would make a bike with this sort of issue. How would something as serious as a heat problem ever get past engineering.........

Mshelvak
07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Hello All, Do you have the part numbers for the brackets for moving the radiator forward or is there the needed holes for moving the radiator forward. Or does the dealer have all the necessary numbers.

Mark

djh3
07-27-2012, 12:44 AM
NOMAD 2011: The engine is designed to run @ a specific temp, say 220. For emisions reasons etc, so the thermostat is set to open @ like 200-210 range so the engine temp is going to be there no matter if you run 100% water or 50% antifreeze or engine ice. Well OK all water may run hotter. But the ice and anitfreeze disa pate the heat faster so it cools down and stay more stable so to speak.

On the moving the radiator, I would say if that is the fix Kawi came up with the dealers got the info and parts. From what I understand you just take it back to them and if it hasnt been retro fitted you tell them you want it done.

Mshelvak
07-30-2012, 01:53 PM
I have seen they came up with insulation pads for the chrome covers to keep the heat off of you. I just put a set off 2011 pipes on I had tri ovals on and they seemed to rob the bike of power. next to go is the power commander just didn't feel like tearing the bike down fo that but changed the map.

Mshelvak
08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
In talking with my dealer my 2010 won't be covered. But I can look up the parts and do it my self. I recently purchasesd the insulation pads the exhaust covers. I have decided on the moving the radiator yet I have the extended warranty and I need to see if the mod will void it. I like the bike but the heat is the main problem with the bike along with the radio fading in and out. I am waiting to see what the prices are on the dark side I hate to do it but comfort is the most important part of riding. The heat problemhas been there since the bike came out and it seems they don't care.

djh3
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
You could make a sign and sit out in front of the dealer ship. "For sale, Nut Roaster"

Bluemeanie
08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
You could make a sign and sit out in front of the dealer ship. "For sale, Nut Roaster"

I love it, you've given me an idea for a seat cover.

djh3
08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Oh dear, now what? You must send pics.

rbentnail
08-09-2012, 06:19 AM
waiting to see what the prices are on the dark side
A car tire? Is there another Dark Side?

Nomad 2011
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Kaw is offering a retro kit for the voyager, part # 99994-0370, should be around $399. I have not looked it up yet, but supposed to include new radiator, rear fan, shroud, etc.

dpfam
08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I just dropped my bike off today to have the heat kit installed on my 2010 Voyager......will update once I get it back

Mshelvak
08-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I went to the dealer where I bought my voyager and asked the question. He called Kaw and the said the kit is here for the 2009 thru 2011 models. It does cost about $400.00 and about 3 hours to install. It does include a new radiator, cooling fan, etc. the kit is cheaper than a replacement radiator and fan. it includes everything needed to install. Myself I am waiting to see if any one has it done and what the difference is. Or maybe just buy a 2013 that is all ready done.

HELLMAN
09-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Dealers just look at ya and say yeow I know it is hot but nothing we can do about it. Kawi just keeps on making them that way. So no more Kawi's for me. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with Kawasaki. When a person can't ride and be comfortable in 60 degree heat in slow traffic then something is terribly wrong.

It sucks, wish I had known it before I bought it. I bet plenty folks are aware of it now.

How about it Kawasaki, you going to fix it, of become a second rate motorcycle company again.

rbentnail
09-16-2012, 05:47 AM
Dealers just look at ya and say yeow I know it is hot but nothing we can do about it. Kawi just keeps on making them that way. So no more Kawi's for me. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with Kawasaki. When a person can't ride and be comfortable in 60 degree heat in slow traffic then something is terribly wrong.

It sucks, wish I had known it before I bought it. I bet plenty folks are aware of it now.

How about it Kawasaki, you going to fix it, of become a second rate motorcycle company again.

Can't say I blame ya. Most of us have at one time or another had our fill with crappy service regarding a less-than-optimal product. Mine lately have been General Foods, Reebok and Hanes. GF sent some monetary reimbursement and an apology for their cereal I didn't like and a couple coopins for anything made by any division of the corporation. But the other two dragged it out, sent more forms, gave me more numbers to call, etc. Basically the runaround, the old wear-'em-down-'til-they-give-up tactic. I donated the stuff and bought different brands.

I also had a bad experience with a Kawi and its reps and dealers. Would I buy another one? Maybe, if they made something I liked. But maybe not....

Wild Rice
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know if the 2012 Voyager Exhaust Heat 'Fix' will be available for earlier models as a recall or factory authorized repair? I've just purchased a 2011 at an extremely good price as a 'leftover', and know there was an additional upgrade to the 2012 models that has basically eliminated most of the heat issue. thanks for any response.

Just received a mailer from Kawasaki. they are providing the kit, but it will cost $399.95... they are saying they recommend Dealer Install. Part # 99994-0370. Fits 2009 - 2011. I thought they would do something better on the price, since it was their mistake to begin with.

vazqueztony
05-31-2014, 04:54 AM
I just dropped my bike off today to have the heat kit installed on my 2010 Voyager......will update once I get it back

Morning is it worth buying the Kit I am at that stage with the heat

Thanks

redspot
08-31-2014, 08:42 AM
sure glad i read u guys post just bought leftover 13 voyager temp guage scared me guess it normal almost running in red

HELLMAN
08-31-2014, 12:58 PM
I would think a lawsuit should be filed against Kawasaki as a group of owners. Kawasaki is getting away with putting out a inferior product that makes it "almost" impossible to ride the bike. Now they want to fix it and pay them $400.00 plus labor fees. Any Lawyers out there want to take this on? Car companies do recalls all the time for there screw ups. I ride with a Dr. and he looked at my leg after a ride through town on a 84 degree day and he told me I had on the verge of 1st. degree burns on my leg. It ws very red for sure. I moved it around but **** just can't get away from the horrible heat.

Ga.KawBoy
09-28-2014, 03:13 PM
I have the '12 VV, and after taking out the factory intake and going with a BAK, I noticed I still had a lot of heat coming off the left side baking my calf.
I installed a set of Baker AirWings, and they helped a BUNCH. Still, the left side was causing a problem. I finally took off the dog bowl on the left
side so more air could flow over the heads, and not only did it help the heat problem out a BUNCH, the temperature gauge was reading a notch
below where it used to go. I'm a happy camper, heat wise. Now......on to that crappy seat.

HELLMAN
09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
I have the '12 VV, and after taking out the factory intake and going with a BAK, I noticed I still had a lot of heat coming off the left side baking my calf.
I installed a set of Baker AirWings, and they helped a BUNCH. Still, the left side was causing a problem. I finally took off the dog bowl on the left
side so more air could flow over the heads, and not only did it help the heat problem out a BUNCH, the temperature gauge was reading a notch
below where it used to go. I'm a happy camper, heat wise. Now......on to that crappy seat.

Kaw boy thanks for the info but what is a dog bowl. can you post some picks of it and you wings, please..

djh3
10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
So we have a fellow on a Venture board I'm looking at replacement bikes, and he said the Voyager was on his list. We warned him of the terrible heat issues. so am I right that even the 2014 is miserable with heat and if you have say a 12 YOU have to pay Kawasaki to FIX the problem and then its only a partial fix? Thats friggin ridiculous.

HELLMAN
10-08-2014, 10:29 PM
It seems to me that they just keep on putting out the same old motorcycle with the same old heat problem. They are not smart enough to know that this will ultimately contribute to Kawasaki's failure to be competitive in the cruiser class. That' to bad and sad. But the word gets around and I'm not going to lie when someone asks me how do I like my Voyager.

Ole Yeller
10-08-2014, 11:12 PM
IMHO, if you want a really nice Voyager, you should buy one of the older ones that used the inline 4 motor. The V twins were a marketing ploy & an abomination.
BTW, I like the idea of a class action lawsuit.

djh3
10-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Dont get me wrong here guys. The RSV has heat also. but from what I have been told nothing like the BBQ on wheels the Voyager/Vaquero is. One fellow I saw last year up in Canada told me the only way he fixed his was the exhaust wrap stuff. But if you like chrome thats not going to work for you either. And I dont think its all exhaust pipe heat either, a lot is engine. Thus the new rad and blower fans to help move air.
My heat seems to stay around because of the leg fairings I would guess. To bad they didnt figure out how to duct air like Victory has with the Cross Country.

HELLMAN
03-14-2015, 11:24 PM
I cant believe Kawi would make a bike with this sort of issue. How would something as serious as a heat problem ever get past engineering.........

I agree! All owners need to hire a lawyer and sue them. Total bs to put up with the heat. Makes the bike unrideable.

HELLMAN
03-14-2015, 11:26 PM
I agree. All voyager owners need to hire a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit.

argus727
07-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Just bought a 2010 Voyager and noticed the excessive heat, especially at slower speeds in traffic. I live in a rural area so slow traffic is not a big issue but less heat would increase enjoyment/comfort. Has anyone installed the Kawi "Air management system PART #: 99994-0370" and has it fixed the problem?

HELLMAN
07-13-2015, 11:38 AM
dpfam, posted that he bought a retrofit kit from Kawi to fix his heat problems back in 2012 post, he said he would tell us how it worked when he gets his bike back. Guess it did not work, ain't heard a word from him. Private message to him I get no reply back. Hey dpfam,,,, u out there?

argus727
07-18-2015, 11:46 PM
No reply either from PM. But read on other thread on this topic that the KAWS made a big improvement. Also that 70/30 water/coolant ratios, fuel program modules (richer mixture) and pipe wrapping each help to some degree. Engine Ice, a propylene glycol is suppose to help as well but I've read that it will gel if mix with regular ethylene glycol coolant so a thorough flush or flushes are a must if that is the case. I will try coolant ratios to see it that helps, if not I may do the KAMS thing. Writing complaint letters to Kawasaki demanding my money (for the KAMS) back will let me vent when I need to, :).

Bluemeanie
07-19-2015, 10:07 AM
I can't speak to the KAMS kit. I can say that changing to a 70/30 coolant mix will not have a lot of effect, the temp will rise slightly slower and drop slightly faster, but not enough to be worthwhile in my opinion. Now wrapping the pipes was worth it, at least now my right leg doesn't fry. I also installed heat shields from RJ's originals. Those 2 things have it to where it's bearable. I really don't want to go the fuel processor route, but am considering going with a BAK and adding a resistor inline with the air temp sensor (poor mans fuel processor) and seeing if that has any effect.

HELLMAN
07-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Good luck with air temp sensor. I find it very dissatisfying and down right maddening that consumers of there product have to experiment thru all kind of excessive heat fixes. I will never buy another Kawasaki. I had a 3 Honda Goldwings in 30 years and never ever a problem of any kind. I was a fool to switch.

argus727
07-19-2015, 06:57 PM
I can't speak to the KAMS kit. I can say that changing to a 70/30 coolant mix will not have a lot of effect, the temp will rise slightly slower and drop slightly faster, but not enough to be worthwhile in my opinion. Now wrapping the pipes was worth it, at least now my right leg doesn't fry. I also installed heat shields from RJ's originals. Those 2 things have it to where it's bearable. I really don't want to go the fuel processor route, but am considering going with a BAK and adding a resistor inline with the air temp sensor (poor mans fuel processor) and seeing if that has any effect.

I am interested in you pipe wraps, did you have to leave the exhaust stock heat shield off after you wrapped your pipes?

keithert
07-25-2015, 07:21 PM
I've been looking at Nomads. Do they still have the heat issues? I rode a 2009 Classic and the fan seemed to constantly run. With a 2014 I didnt notice that.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Demolition-Man
07-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Just for Information, found it on Ebay :

Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS (09-11) Complete KAMS Air Management System | eBay (http://www.ebay.de/itm/OEM-Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-ABS-09-11-Complete-KAMS-Air-Management-System-/181813788094?)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/OEM-Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-ABS-09-11-Complete-KAMS-Air-Management-System-/00/s/NDUwWDUwMA==/z/fSEAAOSwo8hTqJXe/$_12.JPG

Cu,
Sven