2012 Ninja 1000 dealer negotiation [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2012 Ninja 1000 dealer negotiation

Darkkawi
04-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I just recently went into a Kawi dealer and offered to take a non-ABS ninja 1000 from their possession for $10K out the door. They told me they could only offer $10K plus taxes and fees which brought it to around $11200 out the door. They advised their invoice pricing is $9800 which I assume they get it from the manufacture for cheaper than that right?

A week later I got a call offering $11K out the door. I'm still pretty set on $10K OTD, but I don't even know if that is feasible for them because I don't know what their margin looks like. I wasn't sure if $10500 was a good price to come back with on my part. Can anyone help me with info or advisement?

alekkas
04-21-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't think tax should be part of the equation because that is different from state to state. Although out the door matters to your pocket, step back from that for a moment to find the answer to your question.

So, look at ebay. THere are several Kaw dealers on there (from NJ, and WI especially) that publish their lowest price plus fees, etc .....

That will give you a barometer of what some of the best prices out there are. Then, apply that to what your dealer is offering (before tax).

That should at least tell you if they are in the ballpark. If a good dealer, I would certainly pay an extra $100 or $200 on a 10,000 puchase to get that good relationship going with a guy in your own back yard.... If they are 1K off, you need to think about it.

Darkkawi
04-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the input. I bought it today for what I think is a reasonable price. $11600 OTD with 4 year extended warranty.

alekkas
04-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the input. I bought it today for what I think is a reasonable price. $11600 OTD with 4 year extended warranty.

You got the bike you wanted at a price you could handle with extended warranty. Awesome and congrats. That is a great engine. I got to ride an '11 Z1000 for a few hours. What a blast!

Enjoy

klx678
04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't think tax should be part of the equation because that is different from state to state. Although out the door matters to your pocket, step back from that for a moment to find the answer to your question.

So, look at ebay. THere are several Kaw dealers on there (from NJ, and WI especially) that publish their lowest price plus fees, etc .....

That will give you a barometer of what some of the best prices out there are. Then, apply that to what your dealer is offering (before tax).

That should at least tell you if they are in the ballpark. If a good dealer, I would certainly pay an extra $100 or $200 on a 10,000 puchase to get that good relationship going with a guy in your own back yard.... If they are 1K off, you need to think about it.

Many of those deep discount dealers will stack up to $2000 in various fees and the tax ending up with essentially the same price as the up front dealer will have. We saw that where we started with a bike based on the list, wheeled and dealed and arrived at what we could do. The guy went 300 miles away to a Michigan discount dealer and bought the bike. When he showed us the paperwork his total savings was $3 on the full out the door figure. So he went 200 miles per dollar saved. Good deal, right?

One thing that can also affect the price is demand. If a dealer is selling virtually every one of a model that they can get, why should they drop the price much? I don't know what the current price of the bike was, but seeing what you bought it for seems like a decent deal in my book. They made the deal maybe by either doing the warranty near cost or below, but with all the new electronics and stuff it may pay off for you in the future or if you go to sell in a few years it will pay then.

alekkas
04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Many of those deep discount dealers will stack up to $2000 in various fees and the tax ending up with essentially the same price as the up front dealer will have. We saw that where we started with a bike based on the list, wheeled and dealed and arrived at what we could do. The guy went 300 miles away to a Michigan discount dealer and bought the bike. When he showed us the paperwork his total savings was $3 on the full out the door figure. So he went 200 miles per dollar saved. Good deal, right?

One thing that can also affect the price is demand. If a dealer is selling virtually every one of a model that they can get, why should they drop the price much? I don't know what the current price of the bike was, but seeing what you bought it for seems like a decent deal in my book. They made the deal maybe by either doing the warranty near cost or below, but with all the new electronics and stuff it may pay off for you in the future or if you go to sell in a few years it will pay then.

Yes - but some do. Back when I thought I could afford a new versys, the local guy had a left over for 1,100 more than a guy in Wi. On the way back from a trip I stopped in - that's it - no crazy add ons. Could have done this by phone too, but I was there.

No matter where I bought the bike, I'd have to pay taxes in my county and my state's registration fee. Now this experience had more to do with it being a left over and one guy staying at last year's prices and one guy marking it down - also being a bigger volume dealer helps too.

Any deal like this needs to be confirmed before going out there. Same with goalie gear. Some stores have two year old models for original reatail while other guys mark down as soon as the new model comes out.

Either way, glad our buddy here got a good deal.

07Ninja250
04-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Congrats, Dark....that's a seriously gorgeous bike. My fav Kawi used to be the 10R, but I like the looks of the 1000 even better. Jealous....