I think that my next bike won't be a cruiser, probably a C14. [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

I think that my next bike won't be a cruiser, probably a C14.

Humbucker
05-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I just went out and rode a bunch of cruiser/touring bikes at the Victory demos here yesterday and while they make a fine, well put together bike, at the end of it all, I still can't say that they made me want to dump my VN1600 Classic and open up my wallet.

I might just keep the old 1600 Classic for a second bike and look into a Concours 14, I took one out for a ride a couple of years ago and it rocked my world!

The only thing that concerns me is some of the bad press that I've read about the Kipass system, not only did I read some complaints online but I even read one in a motorcycle magazine recently. Seems that the Kipass module went south and had to be replaced, for around $1000.00

And supposedly a Kawasaki help-line tech told them that "the electrical system on this bike will make an old man out of you".

What do you guys make of the reliability of this bike?

alekkas
05-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Can't discuss the KPass issue with you. But I made the jump two months ago. My 1600 was everything I wanted in a cruiser. No cruiser made me feel like changing.

But I wanted to get back to a sportier bike. If I could easily afford a C14, I would have. Would not have thought twice about the KPass. As it lay with college for kids and all, I got an 06 C10 with under 6K miles on it.

For me, making the move was the right thing to do. I am much happier with the performance. One day, I will probably get back to cruiser ville. The surprise is that my wife has noticed a smoother ride than the cruiser.

If you need to go there, go there. But watch your speed cause I got pulled over on day one!!! Lucky warning.

DanL
05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
you won't get as many comments here as the ST Net forum where you posted, but I'll repeat what I said there- I had a 1600, loved it, but the C14 is leaps and bounds a better ride for me. More comfortable, "oh crap" power, brakes and handling that will outperform ANY cruiser. I've never been happier with a bike. All my other bikes were fun to ride, but this one calls to me. The 1 mile trip to the store that was 20 miles on the 1600 is 60 miles on the Connie.

Check on the Concours specific forums and search and see who is having what problems. Most are not really problems, but more dislike type stuff about kipass. Very few have had actual issues and they are usually battery related vs problems with the system itself.

Concours Owners Group (COG) Forum - Index (http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php)
The Kawasaki Concours Forum - Index (http://www.zggtr.org/index.php)

Humbucker
05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Dan for chiming in and I will also check out that ZG/GTR website.

suegip
05-10-2012, 08:12 PM
I felt the same way after riding all the Victorys (and some other brand cruisers also). I think if I stay with a cruiser, I might as well keep my bike. So if I buy a new bike, it will probably be something other than a cruiser. I have a friend with a c14, he loves it. I'm gonna have to ride it sometime...

buzz
05-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Whiched from 06 VN1600 classic to a 2000 C-10 about a year ago, glad I did.
Wasn't hunting for a sport-tourer but ran into a deal I couldn't refuse. Like this bike a lot! Excellant handling, good power, great transmission, 7.5 gal tank. Very comfortable on hwy (even two-up), easy to log 300-400 mi day on stock seat, lots of storage in hard bags. Will ride this for a while longer. btw: C-14 is even better.

K12GT
05-14-2012, 01:37 AM
To answer your question:

Your original post demands a couple of questions: What and where do you plan on riding? Buying new or used?

If its strictly boulevard riding, then the VN or Victory may be the bike.

If you're out on long stretches, and want to periodically burn up the tarmac, then the C14 would be a perfect bike for that mission. With the factory paniers, you can live for about a week out of those cases. If you need more cubic feet in storage, you can always bolt on the panier for the luggage rack.

Regarding reliability:
The C14 has proven itself over and over.

On the KiPass I believe it was upgraded along with the other major improvments for 2010. Kawasaki made improvements to the faring, and added heated grips. Other 2010 changes are the addition of traction control and an improved/ faster processor for the ABS system, less pulse at the lever.

Like Dan states, The COG and Kaw site will provide better informaiton, that is more taylored to the C14.

I recently performed a 7K service on a friends 2009 model and changing the plugs was a chore. Infact the 7K interval seems a bit short for the spark plugs. On some forums, owners are putting that service out a little longer. My buddy really likes is 2009 C14. At the time he bought it, the 2010 just came out, he bought the 2009 because the price was right. Over time, though, I have heard him complain about not having C-C and in the summer, the heat rolling off of the engine can be a bear. The 2010 model received a re-designed faring to deal with all of the complaints they had on the 08 and 09 models. In years past, I placed 125,000 miles on a C-10, and when I first rode it back in 1990, it was several leaps forward from my old KZ1000.

(At least from the concept of the bike) The C14 has stayed true to the lineage of the C-10, that is storage, space, riding position, and fuel capacity.

The site below details the major changes from 2010.
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 First Ride - Motorcycle USA (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/161/4948/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Kawasaki-Concours-14-First-Ride.aspx)

I ride a K1200GT, and there are several features about this bike that beat the C14 hands down. However when you compare price, there are areas that the C14 beats the K bike.

Jumping from a Cruiser to a Sport Tourer will be a big change. The friends of mine who have made this switch have never regretted it.

Regards.

RoadRunner322
05-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I recently sold my 2004 Concours C-10. It's a great bike for the money. The biggest issue I had with it is that it is very top heavy and you have to be very careful in the parking lots. The guy who bought it rode it to work every day for over 3 weeks about 38 miles each way and stopped at a Yamaha dealer and traded it for a new Yamaha FJR 1300 with 0 miles on the odometer. I don't know if the C14 is as top heavy. It does weigh the same.

Humbucker
05-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all of replies guys!

BTW K12GT, I'm glad that the KiPass system isn't as bad as what I was led to believe, that was a big concern, so I'm happy to hear that it isn't all that common after all.

Just curious, what are some of the advantages of the K1200GT over the C14?

I kind of wish that BMW didn't drop the K1300GT from their line-up, now you have to really open up your wallet and go for a K1600GT, I can't see that in my future though.:)

As far as the type of riding I'd be doing with my next bike, it would mostly be buzzing around for an hour or two in the evening after work during the week, then maybe hitting the back roads and go do some full days out in the country.

No major road trips planned in the next couple of years, maybe the odd weekend getaway but that's it.

Getting back to my 1600 Classic, I went out for a ride in the country back roads this past weekend and boy did I take a beating! That old cruiser just doesn't handle anything but perfectly smooth, even pavement.

Our rural roads are quite bad and I definately need to get something else that will take this more in stride.

I know that a GS-style "adventure bike would be perfect for this but if I could get anything else that could be reasonably better then the 1600 Classic, I might go that route. I'm not sure I want a bike that looks like an SUV.

Is there a fun, comfortable bike, that's somewhat sexy-looking that could be competent on the less then stellar back roads?

I know that the BMW R1200RT that I demo'd last summer had a wonderful suspension, I'm not sure if the C14 or K1300GT would have as compliant a suspension.

I know that my lower back and butt can't take much more of this cruiser-style of riding. I wish that weren't the case but I have to admit that I'm finding it more and more difficult to be comfortable of these things.

Taking back some of my comments on Victorys, if I do stay on a cruiser, at least I'd stand half a chance of being comfortable on one of those. The seat's better, the suspension is way better and the brakes absolutely blow my 1600 Classic out of the water, I will give Victory that much.

Any thoughts?

stevepmcg
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I recently sold my 2004 Concours C-10. It's a great bike for the money. The biggest issue I had with it is that it is very top heavy and you have to be very careful in the parking lots. The guy who bought it rode it to work every day for over 3 weeks about 38 miles each way and stopped at a Yamaha dealer and traded it for a new Yamaha FJR 1300 with 0 miles on the odometer. I don't know if the C14 is as top heavy. It does weigh the same. I would say it is still that top heavy. I rode my meanstreak for 10-15000 miles without an issue. Less than 700 miles on our new C14 and I dropped it (while on it) trying to turn and "reverse" into a parking spot. Wasnt the first time it had did similar (without the drop) and wasnt the last.

texrider
06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Some observations on the C-14;
The suspension has a fairly wide range of adjustment, and I've had to back off the spring pre-load considerably both front and rear, to make it compliant enough.

It's a tall bike in stock form. If you cannot feel secure about your feet reaching the ground, get a lower seat or lowering links for the monoshock.

Stock tires are junk, and will make the bike handle and ride poorly within a short time from new.

Add some sort of secondary means of restricting saddlebag movement, so you don't lose one while riding.