New Member, new bike - Breakin tips? [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

New Member, new bike - Breakin tips?

Wadegster
06-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Hey all,
New member here, and I pick up my brand new 2010 Voyager this Saturday, had to wait 4 days while they the get ECM in for the recall.

As this is a brand new bike (well 0 KMs) and my first brand new bike, do any of you have tips for break in, etc?

Looking forward to this bike, been lusting after it (or a vaquero) for a while now. And doing some reading I should be able to Vaquero it pretty easy for in town riding.

Also anyone have any suggestions for a decent drivers backrest, upgraded exhaust (nice rumble but not deafening) and any other mods that might be good/useful?

Thanks a bunch!

Wade

MFolks
06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Vary the rpm's on the highway, don't drive if possible at the same speed, but occasionally close the throttle. This creates vacuum, pulling engine oil past the piston rings, helping them "Seat" better than at a constant speed. Usually the first 100-500 miles is when a majority of the wear takes place on new parts "Getting to know each other". Change the break in oil as recommended, as it has all the extremely small bits of metal in it.

If your bike has the external oil filter, look at getting a "Filtermag": FilterMAG Magnetic Motorcycle Oil Filter Review | Rider Magazine (http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/filtermag-magnetic-motorcycle-oil-filter-review.htm)

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/FilterMAG/Product-Line/FilterMAG-MC-SC-Motorcycle-Series-Magnets/?autoview=SKU

18wheelfixer
06-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Follow the owner's manual for break in and then run it in high RPM's after the recommended break in. Vulcans love to be run up to the red line but follow the recommendations of the manufacturer for warranty sake during break in.

idmtchris
06-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Ride it like you stole, but not like you rented it. You want to hit all RPM ranges in all gears. No slow and steady, keep RPMs in the higher side. Do not miss the 600 miles oil change. If you want that is the time to switch to synthetics.

Highwayman2011
06-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Follow the manual it states an upper RPM limit. Off hand I can't recall but I think it was 2500. Change the oil at 600 miles with a recommended oil with the Jaso/MA ratings and you are good to go. I'm changing mine at 3000 mile intervals with a synthetic 10W40.

Wadegster
07-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, got 1550Km on her now after having ECU swapped a second time, she seems to run much better and fuel econ seems to steady out