Input on 2002 Kawasaki voyager XII [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Input on 2002 Kawasaki voyager XII

RobbyII
07-01-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a Vulcan 900 Classic. Love it. Not a long distance touring bike, at least for us.

There is a 2002 Kawasaki voyager XII for sale, $5000, fairly low milage (39000K) 24000 miles, Corbin seat. Looks like new. There is also a 1989 for sale,less money, same milage, looks & sounds fine. Was there much or any difference over the years.

Thanks

Any input great. I know nothing about Voyagers, but would like a tour bike. Not replacing Vulcan, adding too.:)

rbentnail
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Don't hear much about the V XII around here. But these guys (http://abbikeboard.com/forum/) are all knowing.

usmalenurse
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I have a Vulcan 900 Classic. Love it. Not a long distance touring bike, at least for us.

There is a 2002 Kawasaki voyager XII for sale, $5000, fairly low milage (39000K) 24000 miles, Corbin seat. Looks like new. There is also a 1989 for sale,less money, same milage, looks & sounds fine. Was there much or any difference over the years.

Thanks

Any input great. I know nothing about Voyagers, but would like a tour bike. Not replacing Vulcan, adding too.:)

I have a '97 Voyager XII and love it. Unless there's a substantial difference in price, I'd opt for the '02 just because it's more likely to be in better overall condition ie; hoses, fluids, bearings. As far as differences over the years...I think some of the 80's models had a smaller diameter front fork system but other than that, all the parts interchange. One of the Voyager gurus on the AVA site has one with over 300,000 miles on it so they will last a long time if you maintain them.
P.S. Your wife will definitely like it more than the Vulcan on longer trips. I actually bought mine because of the wife but find that I tend to take it out of the garage more than the Vulcan now. You just get used to the extra comfort features....

RoadRunner322
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
A couple years ago, I was looking for a larger bike so the wife would ride with me and I test rode a 2002 Voyager XII. I found the transmission to be very loud, so loud I was afraid something was wrong with it. I think this is common though. There didn't appear to be enough leg room and I have short legs. It is top heavy compared to a Goldwing. I then test rode a 2006 Goldwing. I could not find anything to complain about riding that bike. It is the best of the best of the two up touring bikes. I didn't want to spend the megabucks for the 06 wing though. I ended up buying a 2004 Concours and rode it for about 1 1/2 years.

So, my advice is that if you can tolerate its deficiencies, it is a super value for your money just like a Concours. A used Concours cost about half what a ST1100 does.

usmalenurse
07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
"There didn't appear to be enough leg room and I have short legs."

Ummm, interesting......that's one of the reasons I liked the Voyager over the 'Wings I tried. I felt more cramped on the 'Wings than I did on the Voyager and I have a 34" inseam. Of course, the major factor was the difference in price and I like to be a little different....you just don't see many of the Voyagers around.

RobbyII
07-03-2012, 12:23 AM
My wife and I had 7 touring bikes over a 15 year time frame. 2 Goldwings (allways thought they should come with a microwave), never kept either one for long. 4 Yamaha Venture Royale's, great bikes, top heavy but handle well at high speed and run all day at 100MPH in the desert. Last, and my favorite, Kawasaki 1300 Voyager. The 6 cylinder model. Sort of different, but it was and is my favorite. Boy did it have power!!!!! Wife working, kids grew up and left, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't done that. Now almost 20 years later we decided to start riding again. Bought the Vulcan, like it, solo. Seat is terrible (rear). That's why looking at Voyagers! I left a message for the 2002 guy, haven't heard back yet.

RoadRunner322
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
"There didn't appear to be enough leg room and I have short legs."

Ummm, interesting......that's one of the reasons I liked the Voyager over the 'Wings I tried. I felt more cramped on the 'Wings than I did on the Voyager and I have a 34" inseam. Of course, the major factor was the difference in price and I like to be a little different....you just don't see many of the Voyagers around.

The owner of the 2002 that I test rode was also complaining about leg room and if he kept it, he was going to see if he could move the seat back. Who knows? Maybe the first owner has moved it forward. He did have longer legs than I. He bought a Harley glide and rated it about a 7. After 6 to 9 months he sold that and bought a V4 2007 Venture. The 06 wing was much easier to handle around town due to the lower center of gravity and everything was so smooth and quiet.
My wife went for one ride on the Concours and decided that she didn't want to ride. My riding skills were rusty and I dropped the very top heavy Concours twice in the parking lot, the second time breaking a bone in my foot that combined with sitting at a computer all day and my age caused blood clots in my lower leg. After that my wife was adamant about selling it. I took my time and rode it for 1 1/2 yrs before selling it. I would have kept the Concours if I hadn't ruined my wife's attitude about it. Sooo, when I get my carbs clean, I'll be riding the ZN700!

Kjsett
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
My Son bought a 03 Kawasaki ZG12000-B17 (Voyager XII) last summer. He rode it for a few months and decided that he had always wanted a Harley, so Dad, do you want to buy this 2003 XII.
Thanksgiving i rode it 8 1/2 hrs in 45 to 55F weather to get it home to Phoenix, AZ. Except for the stock seat, I love it. 6'2" and 260lbs and i use it as a weekly rider (when I don't have to haul to much stuff for it). I already made one trip in April of 3500 miles in 2 weeks. It came with a hitch so I bought a used clamshell trailer that allows me to take along what I need. We also bought a dog tank bag and our Rat Terrier "Harley" goes with me (he still prefers "His" pickup though).
There is someone selling a 90's version for $2500 here in Phoenix, but I don't know anymore about it other than he is selling it for someone who moved out of state. That is unusually low so could be a steal. Personally, I would look forward to a ride to Canada and if time and money weren't an issue, I would jump on mine tomorrow and head out (I am planning on a ride in August to Washington state from here).
One issue, get some silicone spray and do the mounting points on the bottom of the hardside saddlebags. A guy changing my rear tire jerked the right bag up and ripped out the bottom of the bag (he denies it was his fault and I didn't discover it for a week - didn't look in the bag - so I had to replace it myself).
I use Rotella full synthetic T6 in my bike (did a lot of research and have run it in my Dodge Cummins diesel for years). It does help with the whine and the longevity.
If you buy, the AVA (American Voyager Association) website is invaluable. They are having their Annual rally in Kanab, UT next week, come check it out if you can.
Enjoy,
Ken

RobbyII
07-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Good Morning,

Last night I purchased a 2002 XII pending a check by bike shop. Sure it will be fine. 23000 miles, everything works and it sounds fine. I too have a Dodge with Cummins. Use Shell 0-40 in winter and 15-40 in summer. It's a 2001, never been back to dealer. Best truck I ever owned. Pull real heavy loads. Gross weight between 25000 and 27000 each time. Good milage, gobs of power. Guess you can tell I like it Huh.

Really looking forward to bringing Voyager home. My wife will like me again.

I do appreciate everyone piping up, been a help. Too bad we all live so far apart, a ride would be nice.

Ciao

Kjsett
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Congrats, and check out: American Voyager Association, headquarters for Kawasaki Voyager Motorcycle Owners (http://www.amervoyassoc.org)
If they don't know something about that bike, it isn't meant to be known.
Unless you still have cassettes, I use a good adapter (mine is a Sony brand) with the player to use my Iphone for long trips.
Point of note, go through the bags and trunk and check the small nuts that hold the latches and hinges together. Mine were universally loose (I had lost 2 before I noticed). I think I found replacements at Ace Hardware (just not black though).
I plan on getting the mirror extensions that are available on the AVA site as I take up 1/2 the area on the mirrors with my gloves and arms. My wife was my backrest when 2 up (my preference for my comfort), but you will find a drivers backrest really helps for long rides (she just got a Vulcan VN800B, so no longer is behind me). My son put mine on before I got the bike and it really does help (at 56, I need all the comfort and support I can get).

Enjoy,
Ken

PS. The AVA does have members in Canada.

RobbyII
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
I wish only I was 56. HaHa. Bike goes into shop for pre=buy check tomorrow morn, so I assume I will own it by evening! Really looking forward to a short run!

Has anyone heard anything odd about Honda? I live close to Calgary, AB over a million people and another 4 or 5 hundred thousand around it. Used to be, I think, 4 Honda bike shops. Now there is 1. Just 1. Seems to me they sorta gotcha by the gonads. All the other makes seem to be doing fine, in fact one dealer told me sales were up substantially over last year. The original dealers did not go out of business, Honda took it away from them. Is this happening elsewhere?

RoadRunner322
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Seems like the dealerships are consolidating. In the town where I live, the Honda and Suzuki franchises are together. Another dealer (who went belly up) had the Kawasaki and Yamaha franchises. The Honda dealer in Miami where I test rode the 06 Goldwing also has the Kawasaki franchise.

Honda moved the Goldwing factory back to Japan I heard.

usmalenurse
07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Congrats on the purchase...I think you'll be happy. I use the Rotella T-6 as well....very highly recommended from the AVA site.

Rick6375
12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Am considering a 1999 VoyagerXII 1200. Has 28,000 miles for 3,200. Haven't seen in person yet but looks good in photo. Is there anything I should look close for? Says always garaged. Read that early version had trans issues, but were sorted out on later versions. Blue book for dealer sale here list its value of 3470 for exellent condition. Have an 800b now, plan to keep it. Any input either way would be great. THANKS!!

alekkas
12-20-2012, 10:51 PM
As said before, taken care of examples do very well. It is a maintenance bike though - if you are up for that, they are a great bang for the buck. Same can be said about the C 10 connie. I traded a "modern" fuel injected great cruiser for one cause that's where I wanted to go. No regrets so far.

Like my connie, the bike you are looking at is not highly sought after in the used market compared to others. So, that should mean some options on the price.

Poor man's wing with a Kawi inline motor? Not much wrong with that!

djh3
12-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Rick Looke the rubber parts over. Brake lines, fuel, vacume etc. Also look at color of brake fluid in resevoirs, should be about color of apple juice, if not probably needs a change (easy to do yourself but a bargining chip) Pull the clutch and brake levers look at any cables. White powder means needs lubed also look for frayes. Tire condition and wear, leaks around calipers. If you can do maintenance yourself you can get a bargin. If brake lines are poor looking and needed replaced I would venture a guess you can replace with stainless steel for the same price as OEM. I would maybe go in @ $2400-2600 and work my way up. Pointing out the maintenance needed. for the $3400 you mentinon I would expect no repairs, no paint problems scratches etc. Remember cash is green and spends all day long everywhere. Hundreds are pretty and flash well, they make people giddy alot too. Good luck.