Vaquero gear indicator jumps around [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Vaquero gear indicator jumps around

ronb
08-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Love the bike, 7500 miles. Noticed the gear indicator when shifting either up or down may jump into wrong gear sometimes higher sometimes lower before landing on correct gear. Has anyone else had this happen and is it of any concern. More curious than concerned. Under warranty and can have it worked on.
This is my 7th bike. First was a sears moped when I had a paper route at 14. This is my first bike with a windshield, saddlebags, faring and a radio. At 65 yo still commuting on bike several times a week into the Tx Hill Country about 75 miles a day, never knew what I was missing.

djh3
08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Theres hills in Tx? Man I must have missed them when I lived in Oklahoma. Well I was stuck in southwest Ok. Your gear ind problem dont sound serious. If I understand right it ends up in the correct gear when you get it in, just gives false indications in between? I wouldnt run down to get it fixed, but when you get your "list" of things together put it on there and have them look at it. Had a Suzuki that had an indicator onit and it was just lights in a bar sort of thing. Once in awhile it would flicker and say 3rd wouldnt light, shift to fourth and everthing was fine downshift and it came on OK. Ended up a ground problem. No biggie, just annoying.

ronb
08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Just had the bike serviced and rear tire replaced, pointed out the problem to the shop and they said next week they will call Kaw and see what they say about it. The shop has not had this happen on any of their bikes so far, tis new to them. With the fairing and some electric gloves I made it down to upper 20s this past winter but the 104s are not that pleasant. Mostly riding in the country so I am not stopped for any city traffic. One stoplight and three stop signs the whole way.

djh3
08-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Is your "cowboy" as hot as the Voyagers? I was wondering if they got that all sorted out. That seems to be one of the more up front issues with the touring 1700's. I like the looks of the Vaquero fairing and blacked out look. But the boss definatly would have wanted a better seat and something to lean on. So we looked more at Voyager, Venture, Cross Country tour

ronb
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
The temp gauge seems to meter on the hot side but that is normal, even on these 100 plus days it doesn't run any higher. Since I ride in the country and make few stops I don't notice any heat buildup around the engine.

Bluemeanie
08-13-2012, 07:43 PM
My Voyager does this as well. I asked the dealer about it, they tell me they called Kawasaki and they knew about it and would "authorize" the fix, but it would be a one time shot. So I'm very interested to hear what they tell your dealer. For now I just live with the "drunk" gear indicator.

Mshelvak
08-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Hello I was wondering if you heard anything from your dealer. I have the same problem with my voyager from time to time. As far as the heat problem I orderred the insulation that is on the newer bike to put on my pipe covers just haven't had the time to put them on. I just put on a roaring toyz air cleaner system on. I removed the one I bought from metric thunder hopefully see some difference in preformance.

Wild Rice
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I, too, have had the indicator problem with my 2011 Voyager. But it's intermittent and doesn't really seem that bothersome. Looking forward to the KAMS Retrofit to solve teh heat problem for next riding season. Good luck with your gear indicator.

ACMCguy
11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I have the same issue on my Vaquero. 1.5 yrs old 20k miles. Other than that she's still running great.

Vaq Now
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
The gear indicater problem is not new to Kawasaki they know about it my does a member from another forum had his changed under warranty and started the same thing a monyh or so later. But it is a pain Im going to have mine fixed just to make them do it. About the heat problem on my vaquero I bought heat wrap and the paint and took off the head pipe and sanded it painted it so not to rust and wraped the head pipe and cross over pipe. Wrap them as tight as you can use stanless steel zip ties or your old hose clamps to hold the wrap where you start. I bought bigger hose clamps to put the heat sheilds back on made it easer this is one of the best things I'v done to my vaquero stoped the heat from my right leg same goes for the voyager to and made the motor quiter less lifter noise and head noise you have to paint the wrap also give it a good coat. And start it outside and let it get as hot as it can smokes and smells like crazey. But worth it best thing i'v done and I'll stand by that.

mrblanche
04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Theres hills in Tx? Man I must have missed them when I lived in Oklahoma. Well I was stuck in southwest Ok.

Yeah, but we don't tell anyone about them. We've renamed the area "The Texas Toxic Waste Dump And Nuclear Landfill" to keep the riffraff (mainly Californians) from moving there.

Vaq Now
04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey guys have any of you taken in your bikes to get the gear indicater fixed and if so what hace they told you. Also has antone put heat wrap on their head pipe and cross over It made a huge difference to the heat on my leg on my vaquero. Had my bike in the dealer for intake leak and big battle with Kawasaki but they fixed it. The leak this time was in the left intake port the head mechinic kenny sandded the intake maifold flat and buffet it smooth. The intake port flat spots the o rings seal against was so ruff felt like sand paper he sanded them all smoth and buffed them so the o rings would seal properly. After all the trouble with it Kawasaki gave me a free set of driving lights installed for all the trouble I have had with it. After fix took stright to shop and had PCV/IGN installed and dynoed bike runs better than when it was new. Has to work on gas milage now sorry for beeing long winded. But grew up 30 miles west of okc and did not know about the hill in TX would have went more live in IL now and no hills enjoy your bikes and ride safe.

Old.Skool
05-18-2013, 05:14 AM
Jus reaching 30k on my 2011 Vaquero, the gear indicator has just started to jump around, hear it is some kind of sensor problem.

As for heat, well I ride in many hot Texas days for several hours. I have wrapped the pipes and then put on heat deflectors.

Now less heat on my lower legs from the pipes and the heat deflectors protect my thighs and jewels.

c_law23
05-26-2013, 09:38 AM
My indicator jumps around pretty well. I'm not use to having one so I don't really pay much attention to it but wouldn't mind it working properly. I won't be going to the dealer month to month for them to replace a switch though.

Wild Rice
06-13-2013, 11:51 PM
I've got a 2011 Voyager and it too has a sometime queezy gear indicator. Since it's really only occasional, I'm not planning on having anything done to it. I just brought it into my dealer to have the KAMS kit installed. It seems to fix the problem. Not inexpensive however; $399 for the kit and another $250 for installation. If it really fixes the problem, it will be worth it. BTW... a new WOLO horn - can you say LOUD?- and some Vance and Hines slip ons.. and it actually sounds like a real bike!!!!!! (as long as you don't mind the backfiring on decelleration) Ride Safe

sgtburg
06-24-2013, 03:07 AM
I have the same issue with my 2011 Vaquero. Up or down it does it. I'm used to it now and haven't had it looked at.

sgtburg
06-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Put V&H slip ons on my Vaquero as well. Had to put on a Stage 5 kit and have it dynoed and to date, the backfiring has mostly stopped. At least I'm not causing car alarms to go off any longer.