Voyager 1700 HEAT FIX [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Voyager 1700 HEAT FIX

Wild Rice
02-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Now that KAWI has released the 'heat fix' for the Voyager 1700.... has anyone purchased the kit and installed it? Is it a DIY fix... or does the Dealer need to do it? I'm looking to buy the kit... but not sure if it's an 'easy' fix... or one of those 'I wish I'd taken it to the Dealer' deals... Any input is appreciated. thanks.

Bluemeanie
02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
If you mean the Kams Kit, I'll let you know when (if) the one I have ordered ever arrives.

rbentnail
02-16-2013, 06:40 PM
If you mean the Kams Kit, I'll let you know when (if) the one I have ordered ever arrives.
Hmmm, that sounded a little disgruntled.....

Bluemeanie
02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Hmmm, that sounded a little disgruntled.....

Not meant to be. I called Kawasaki and was told they're on backorder, and they anticipate it will be 90 days before they're available.

alekkas
02-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Wait a second - I thought the heat fix was free and they did it. Is this something better than the original Kaw version?

Bluemeanie
02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Wait a second - I thought the heat fix was free and they did it. Is this something better than the original Kaw version?

Yes. This is what they added to the 2012's and up. It's the fan and duct work that go behind the rear cylinder along with a new radiator and all the stuff to divert the airflow from the fan downwards.

alekkas
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.

Vaq Now
03-03-2013, 08:16 PM
The kams kit only comes on the 2012 and up voyager but Kawasaki makes a kams kit to retro fit the 2009 up to 2011 its not free but it only cost $399. If you install it yourself it does come with a new fan and radiator and a fan that goes behind the rear cylinder to blow the hot air toward the passanger left foot. If your machainicly skilled you can do it in prob 3 to 5 hours if not pay kawasaki to do it. But the 2011 and down voyager owners most have put pipes big air kit and a PCV and an engine coolent additive plus syn oil and wrap the head pipe to drasticly reduce the heat. This is what I have read of another voyager forum and have done most of it to my Vaquero and it has helped alot with the heat. Thats all I know. Thank You, B Cope.

MC-Jim
07-16-2013, 09:59 PM
I bought the Kawasaki air Management System (KAMS), it took 3 months for the parts to arrive at my local dealer. The cost was $399.95 + tax. Dealer install time was 4 hours and it included a new radiator, rear fan, hoses, shrouds, wiring harnesses, brackets, seals, and other minor mounting hardware. At almost $100/hour, the total cost was $400. The dealer (Ellicott City Motor Sports) did a good job and had it done on time. I've ridden about 300 miles since getting it installed, I have noticed a significant difference in the amount of heat coming off the engine when stopped in traffic. I have not wrapped the pipes yet, but might do that to further mitigate the heat. Regardless, the Voyager has been a great bike and I enjoy riding it.

Here's a link to some pictures of the used parts and how it looks installed on the bike.
Kawasaki Voyager KAMS Kit Photos by stjohntechnet | Photobucket (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/stjohntechnet/library/Kawasaki%20Voyager%20KAMS%20Kit)

Wild Rice
07-25-2013, 08:28 AM
I had similar issues when I finally decided to order the KAMS retrofit. It too was on backorder. However, once it arrived, my dealer installed it (first one for them-so I was in part- a guinea pig). But they did a good job, on time... and it cost me about $200 in labor.
Seems to work well, although any passenger may still feel some heat being dissipated. Looks like the exhaust could be a bit longer, to ensure the heat is pumped totally away from the passenger's feet. I may add a small extension later. All-in-all, it's MUCH better than before. I'd add pictures, but not much diferent than what MC-Jim provided.

Lynnomack
09-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.
I have a 2012 voyager an the heat is still about the same as the 09 nomad i had before. Not much differince that i can tell.