Sport Touring options [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Sport Touring options

osucowboy
02-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Hello.....I am currently riding a HD Road King, but I made the mistake of getting on a buddies 2000 model KAW touring bike...cannot remember the model. Long story short......I want to get a sport/touring bike too. I have determined that the C14 is the best bang for the buck if buying New and the FJR is a good choice also. Is $12300 a good price for a new 2012? And do you have any regrets buying the C14 verses an FJR, ST1300, BMW?

rbentnail
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
And do you have any regrets buying the C14 verses an FJR, ST1300, BMW?
I have no regrets buyng the FJR vs everything else :). As attested to by 65+k miles in 4.5 yrs.

https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/144812-thinking-about-buying-yamaha-fjr-1300-you-rided-before.html

https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/65030-new-bike-here.html

https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/65240-cruiser-vs-sport-tourer.html

Forrest
02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
$12,300 for a "New" C-14 is a great deal! I purchased a 2011 Concours 14 in August of 2011 new. My out the door after all taxes and such was around $15,000 and I thought I did alright. Have I regretted the purchase? Not one bit. The FJR is a good choice as well but a new 2013 will be more than $12.3k. If you are used to riding a Road King then either of these bikes will be light years ahead in terms of performance. The one thing you will miss switching from the HD to a ST will be the sudden loss of your old riding buddies.....cuz they won't be able to keep up!

osucowboy
02-26-2013, 11:23 PM
I have found a couple of dealers advertising on ebay and cycletrader that will sell a brand new 2012 for 11998 out the door. I plan on keeping the road king and selling my Vulcan 900. Haven't test ridden a concours yet, but was wondering about the windshield height...I am 6ft tall, will it divert the wind over the top of my head?

Vaq Now
03-05-2013, 07:54 PM
osucowboy,
where do you live Im an old okie for years born and raised there son inlaw and daughter went to osu.

DanL
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I have found a couple of dealers advertising on ebay and cycletrader that will sell a brand new 2012 for 11998 out the door. I plan on keeping the road king and selling my Vulcan 900. Haven't test ridden a concours yet, but was wondering about the windshield height...I am 6ft tall, will it divert the wind over the top of my head?

Be careful of the cycle trader and ebay great deals. They often don't include any other fees that you'll need to pay and your out the door price will end up being closer to what you'd pay locally for a new one.

I'm 6'1. The windshield on my '11 was too short, but there are many aftermarket shield available. I got a National Cycle V-Stream to replace it with. Some people like the shorter shield, and I kinda wish I'd kept it so I had a shorter option when I feel like it. My biggest issue was wind noise with the short shield, but earplugs help. The good thing is the shield is electronically adjustable so you can get the wind in your face feel and also raise it up to be protected. With the aftermarket, I hardly get wet in the rain as long as you are moving.

Good luck on your purchase. The C14 is an awesome bike. So is the FJR, I just felt the C14 had a little more bang for the buck with 6 speed, stock ABS, traction control, and more power.

texrider
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
If cruise control is a deal breaker for you, the 2013 FJR is the way to go. All else being equal, the C14 is the better bargain, IMO.

rbentnail
03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Good luck on your purchase. The C14 is an awesome bike. So is the FJR, I just felt the C14 had a little more bang for the buck with 6 speed, stock ABS, traction control, and more power.

I did some extensive shopping before I went sport touring and found that at 5'10", 175 lbs the C14 was simply too tall and too heavy for my comfort, hence the FJR for me. I still say if I were 3" taller and about 60 lbs. heavier I'd be on the Concourse. But I also still say after 65,000+ miles in less than 5 yrs that my FJR is still the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. IMHO either bike will do just fine for anyone, just depends on your preferences.

DanL
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
The FJR was on a very short list for me, I test rode one for about 45 minutes. I liked it, a lot. But there was something about the Concours that drew me to it, and when I got on it and test rode it I knew in 15 minutes it was what I wanted. It sounds different, it just had that sophisticated techno sports car kind of feel I didn't get with the FJR. Funny, I rode my wifes VStar 1300 yesterday, the battery had died over the winter and I charged it up and then took it out for an hour. The 1300 is a really nice cruiser, much more refined than her Vulcan 1500 was , but it felt like driving a John Deere to me. I'll never have another cruiser again, the ST bikes are where it's at for me.

a99miata
03-14-2013, 11:28 AM
The ST1300 from honda is a great bike also. BMW is a class unto it's own but the maintenance costs are outrageous! The Connie is THE best bang for the buck out there.