ATTN! DUAL EXHAUST FOR CONCOURS 14s!!! [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

ATTN! DUAL EXHAUST FOR CONCOURS 14s!!!

Forrest
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Have not been on here lately but to those Concours owners looking to shed the big ole exhaust can AND pick up some untapped performance potential here is some really good news. Muzzys now offers a 4-2-2 dual exhaust system for the new Connie. Check out the web page. I just learned of this recently. Here is the link to view>>> Kawasaki Concours 14 Exhaust systems (http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/index.html)

Now my only dilemma is to get suspension upgrades first or the exhaust with Dynojet Power Commander. 20 HP gain or more! Hmmmm. :shock: This may be old news to some but welcome news to me!

rbentnail
02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Don't forget the $150 "accessory"- a new center stand.....

alekkas
03-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Don't forget the $150 "accessory"- a new center stand.....

Luckily, my C10 already has one cause I'm a cheap SOB. When I make the C14 switch, that "accessory" will be near the top o the list! not a bad price, really....

TO Forrest, although more power is always better, if choosing between the two, the suspension upgrade is something you'd use on every ride. The stock power is a pretty good "plus" in most cases as is - IMO.

rbentnail
03-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Luckily, my C10 already has one cause I'm a cheap SOB. When I make the C14 switch, that "accessory" will be near the top o the list! not a bad price, really....

TO Forrest, although more power is always better, if choosing between the two, the suspension upgrade is something you'd use on every ride. The stock power is a pretty good "plus" in most cases as is - IMO.

This is exactly the justification I use on my FJR to save myself the money. Fuel processor? Why, I get 48+mpg. Exhaust & breather? Why, I gots me 127 at-the-wheel hp on a 640 lb. bike. Etc. Etc. Etc.

03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
20 HP gain or more! Hmmmm. :shock:

Not likely. Marketing hype = big lies.
And even if it IS true, the extra power has to come from somewhere. Your gas mileage is like to suffer.
Then, what would you be able to do with that extra 20 HP.......cut .2 seconds off your 0-60 ??

kopcicle
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Not likely. Marketing hype = big lies.
And even if it IS true, the extra power has to come from somewhere. Your gas mileage is like to suffer.
Then, what would you be able to do with that extra 20 HP.......cut .2 seconds off your 0-60 ??

I'm guessing you haven't dealt with Byron , Terry and Rob over the past three decades .
However I agree .I'd dial in the suspension and brakes before I added HP-FT/Lbs to a Connie.
What is a manageable and well balanced machine at approximately 120 HP- 100+ FT/bs torque becomes a little squirrelly with the addition of any more power . This is most clearly noticed while leaned over in a high speed steady state sweeper where the throttle is reduced significantly and reapplied . I'm not sure if it is the fuel mapping or a "stall" in the intake tract but it is noticeable . This causes a porpoising effect that was made even more noticeable by the suspension being absolutely stock , having nearly 20,000 miles on it even though it had recently been serviced .

Look I'm going to stick with ages old method and experience here . I Have nearly always improved the brakes first . I then do what ever I can to settle the chassis . Only then do I go looking for power . Nearly always when you "add" power to a system it comes from somewhere else within that system . Most of our modifications to increase power have a tendency to narrow the range of usable power . Keep modifying and the power band becomes only two thousand rpm or less at the extreme . The forces this applies to the chassis can have unpredictable results .

~kop

03-02-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm guessing you haven't dealt with Byron , Terry and Rob over the past three decades .

Probably not......since I don't even know who they ARE.

Thanks for the clarification.
You said it MUCH better and more completely than I did.

And to further stir the pot, I don't think that the "average" street rider should mess with the engineering of his bike AT ALL.

texrider
03-09-2013, 05:07 PM
With regards to C14 handling, best first thing is better tires. While there, make the rear a 190/55.
Second thing would be spend the time needed to properly dial in the preload and rebound adjustments for the weight and riding aggression you normally do. :smile:

rbentnail
05-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Hello guys..I have Kawasaki which is in good form but one problem in it..Exhaust create problem but i do not have an idea that where i purchased the exhaust or which is the best exhaust?Send me in pm..Thanks

You're kidding, right? "I have Kawasaki..."? What year? What model? What exhaust is installed? What problem has been created?

Look, I understand English may not be your primary language but you are not giving nearly enough information here.

Paul1400
06-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey Tex, I just bought a '12 Connie and the stock front tire is wearing like I have never seen. It is wearing quicker on the sides than the middle. Yes, I have more tread in the center of the tire now. I monitor the tire pressure via the dash and have checked manually also. I'm in Princeton, not to far from you. Since we ride in the same conditions, what tire do you recommend for the N. TX. area? I like to hit the "twisties" kinda fast.

texrider
08-01-2013, 08:47 AM
A lot of 14 guys use Michelin pr-2 or pr-3's. Pirelli Angels also get good reviews. Personally, I like the Dunlop Q-2, and have recently installed Full Bore M-1's which have been outstanding and priced right. The Full Bore is a medium compound tire with a heavy carcass, and seems able to withstand the abuses of a fast heavy bike.
They are my new favorite, and I have the next pair waiting on the shelf! Whatever you buy, get it in the 190/55 profile, you will love the difference.

SaltLife
08-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Texrider, why is the 190/55 better than the 190/50 that comes on the bike? Is it a narrower tire?

KawiMick
08-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Texrider, why is the 190/55 better than the 190/50 that comes on the bike? Is it a narrower tire?

No, it's a slightly taller tire and helps the bike with initial turn-in. It also allows the center stand to be used easier. Michelin Pilot Road 2 rear and Pilot Road 3 front is my current favorite.
As to the previous exhaust system comments, the Muzzy dual system DOES add HP. When I added the ECU tune from Dynotronics Tuning - ECU Tuning | Flashing | Remapping | Chip Tuning | From Mazda to Kawasaki and More (http://dynotronicstuning.com/dyno-about.html) New Braunfels, TX I gained 20HP and almost 15FtLbs over stock. And NO it does NOT overwhelm the brakes or suspension. More power is always a good thing and it is much smoother while still delivering 40+ MPG if I can keep it under 80MPH.

Mick

SaltLife
08-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Kawimike

KawiMick
08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks, Kawimike

It's KawiMICK, not MIKE :|
The results are from Dyno runs with my exact mods on the same bike. Not just seat-of-the-pants.

Mick

KawiMick
08-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Paul, Even with that redesigned tire, it still wears funny. My original tire was the original style BT-021 and it only lasted 3,500 miles. The dealer replaced it free with the correct spec tire that had changed in 2010. The replacement tire made it to 4,000 miles and I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 2's for both handling and mileage.
They are the single best improvement you can make to your Connie for under $400.

Mick

SaltLife
08-01-2013, 10:58 PM
My apologies, Mick. I realized I had it wrong right after I submitted the reply. Once again, I apologize.