Tire wear issues with the Concours [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Tire wear issues with the Concours

millman
04-12-2013, 12:57 PM
I've been away from this board for a couple of years so I'm not really up on a lot of things about the various models. A few years ago there seemed to be a lot of displeasure with the tire wear on the Concours. Is this still and issue? Thanks for any info.

rbentnail
04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Haven't heard much about it in quite a while. I think most of us sport tourers just learn to live with it.

DanL
04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
The stock tires definitely wore out fast for me, maybe 5000 miles. They are supposedly a good sport bike tire, but on a near 700lb bike, don't hold up. I'm on my 3rd set of tires, the last 2 being Michelin PR3's. Just under 20000 miles on the bike. I got about 8-9k out of the last rear PR3, it had some life left but I was leaving for a long trip and decided to replace it before I left. The front tire was still good and had a lot of life left when I replaced it. I ran over a hunk of glass and it took a chunk out right in the contact point, and I didn't want to chance it. I suspect I'll be doing the rear again sometime over the summer.

Like RB said- it's the life of a sport tourer bike. Performance tires are soft and wear out faster.

Paul1400
06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
I recently (5 months ago) purchased a 2012 Concours and have 5000 miles on it. I have never seen a wear pattern like this front tire. I started riding in '75 and this is my 7th bike. I also have an '07 Honda CB 900F7 (also known as a 919) which runs the same front tire that the Concours came with. I know there is a 200 lb. difference betweeen the 2, and expected quicker wear on the Concours. I did not expect what happened. I have about 40% tread left in the center of the front tire. I have about 15% tread left just off of the center of the tire. (Both sides wearing evenly) The rear is wearing as expected..flat down the center due to too many straight Texas commuting roads. I know it's a duel compound tire, maybe the extra weight of the Concours in the corners affects the wear this way? Why not the back tire also? I have never had a rear tire outlast a front tire either. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.