Car Tires [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Car Tires

Biker John
08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Friend has a 2002 Voyager and wants to run a car tire on the rear, anyone here doing this?
If so what size are you using?

I run a car tire on my Goldwing, holds up a lot better than any motorcycle tire I've ever used.

Thanks
John

ricksza
08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Check out the Darkside Data Base (http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires). I like it on my 900 Custom.

Biker John
08-26-2013, 01:52 PM
OK, thanks.

Hoyt Clagwell
11-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Just so you're aware, car tires are not designed for leaning around curves and even more importantly, they do not have nearly the grip of a motorcycle tire. I have no doubt that a car tire would last much much longer than a motorcycle tire but for me personally, the extra grip in the softer compound of a motorcycle is well worth the faster wear. Take care.

george james
11-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Just so you're aware, car tires are not designed for leaning around curves and even more importantly, they do not have nearly the grip of a motorcycle tire. I have no doubt that a car tire would last much much longer than a motorcycle tire but for me personally, the extra grip in the softer compound of a motorcycle is well worth the faster wear. Take care.

Never tried one have ya??????

Hoyt Clagwell
11-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Never tried one have ya??????

Definately not, but to each his own.

george james
11-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Definately not, but to each his own.

"Definitely not" explains the less grip concept you speak of! Just simply not the case. "Each to his own" +1.

Hoyt Clagwell
11-17-2013, 01:06 PM
I must admit, I have not done a pile of research on this topic and it would not surprise me if motorcycle tires are part of an industry wide scam. I personally, with my lack of rubber compound knowledge, would not want to test the hypothesis against my own life and limb but then again, that is the kind of fear scams thrive on.

george james
11-17-2013, 01:23 PM
I must admit, I have not done a pile of research on this topic and it would not surprise me if motorcycle tires are part of an industry wide scam. I personally, with my lack of rubber compound knowledge, would not want to test the hypothesis against my own life and limb but then again, that is the kind of fear scams thrive on.

I too am not "schooled" in rubber compound but have several thousand miles of experience in the saddle with a ct under me with floor boards on the asphalt at times. Grip is just as good and better under acceleration and braking than any mt I've used. That said, I don't recommend it on sport bikes.

rbentnail
11-18-2013, 07:51 AM
I too am not "schooled" in rubber compound but have several thousand miles of experience in the saddle with a ct under me with floor boards on the asphalt at times. Grip is just as good and better under acceleration and braking than any mt I've used. That said, I don't recommend it on sport bikes.

Doncha just love it when folks with no experience try to pass off as fact the gloom and doom?

Car tires work just fine. I have one on my FJR and it hasn't slowed me down a bit. We had a thread from back in the spring that might be helpful

https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/151401-darkside-wear-report-picture-heavy.html

Steammaker
11-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I went Darkside on my Meany. Ran a Yokahama s-drive 195/45/17. After 2200 miles I went back to a mc tire.
I wanted to keep it on & get the mileage everyone raves about but it just wasn't for me. It tracked the seams
& cracks & etc in the road way too much for my liking. I still have the tire in the garage I'll make someone
a deal on if your interested...

SIBLADERUNNER
12-12-2013, 05:16 PM
I have worked for a tire company for 5 years. You may have heard of them (Firestone/Bridgestone). As there is nothing wrong with running a car tire on the back of your bike to increase life is a plus, the tires were not designed to maintain the grip in the turns. Yes you will still have grip, but forget pegging out as the shoulder of the tire will give you a popping sensation. Also car the difference in rubber compounds makes for different grip with heat. Motorcycle tires heat up faster and get sticky faster than a car tire would. The heat also provides traction in the rain. Now I can't speak for sunday riders and fair weather riders, but my bike is used year round. I have also gotten 12,000-14,000miles out of my battleax tires and they happen to be the sport models not even the touring models. So you have to ask yourself why is it you use a car tire? Survey says you're a cheapo who cares more about saving $20 over the safety of you and your passenger, but as said before to each his own. My bike isn't a garage decoration until the sun shines. Until next time, safe riding everyone.

george james
12-12-2013, 06:00 PM
12500 miles since May is not considered to be a fair weather rider nor would the bike be decor for the garage. With that said I consider myself as much of an expert on ct's on a bike as you think you are and I am far from being an expert. I do ride a ct and have never heard the popping you speak of and my pegs do drag. The $ savings is secondary in my reasons for using a ct ( I haven't always been fortunate enough but at this point in my life I can buy any priced mt out there as often as needed) . Time not spent putting tires on is more important than the $ savings and better traction upon acceleration and especially braking is so much more important. No I don't need to ask why I do it.

Hoyt Clagwell
12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
'not to cuase an argument but just to further my genuine curiousity on this topic, I would like to know from SIBLADERUNNER, in what capacity did you work at said tire company for you to have this knowledge of the differences in tires? and from george james, why woul you not reccemend cts on sportbikes.

george james
12-13-2013, 11:09 PM
'not to cuase an argument but just to further my genuine curiousity on this topic, I would like to know from SIBLADERUNNER, in what capacity did you work at said tire company for you to have this knowledge of the differences in tires? and from george james, why woul you not reccemend cts on sportbikes.

Sport bikes can lean far enough to get on the sidewall, if you try to lean a cruiser that far you would hit hard parts before getting on the sidewall and crash. Ct not for high lean angles but out performs mt otherwise. I have drug floorboards on mt and ct and accelerate out the curves hard without knowing which tire is on the bike. Not trying to sell ct but just put experience on the table with the naysayers that hasn't tried them. None of the above makes it right or wrong only saying its not a bad thing to do nor is it dangerous if used on the right bike.

STREETSLAYER
12-14-2013, 08:54 AM
56641I go through 2 rear tires a summer........see advitar pic....lol.......

rbentnail
12-14-2013, 09:03 PM
I was spending $350-525 per year just on rear tires. In 2013 I spent $118 by switching to a car tire. And it hasn't slowed me down a bit, still dragging pegs on my '07 FJR.

Hoyt Clagwell
12-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Sport bikes can lean far enough to get on the sidewall, if you try to lean a cruiser that far you would hit hard parts before getting on the sidewall and crash. Ct not for high lean angles but out performs mt otherwise. I have drug floorboards on mt and ct and accelerate out the curves hard without knowing which tire is on the bike. Not trying to sell ct but just put experience on the table with the naysayers that hasn't tried them. None of the above makes it right or wrong only saying its not a bad thing to do nor is it dangerous if used on the right bike.

Thanks George. 'makes sense. Cts are still not for me but in the right application are probably fine. I have used mc tires that I didn't like in the rain and/or on hard curves so I guess I'm pretty fussy and like to err on the side of caution when it comes to my life. I put about 20,000kms on my bike every year (12k miles) so I go through tires annually. I pay about $130 for a tire plus $20 for my mechanic to put it on the rim. It's a price I'm willing to pay.

SgtSlag
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Visit the American Voyager Association's web forum for information on CT's that fit the Voyager XII bikes, if still interested: American Voyager Association • Index page (http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/).

One thing CT riders forget, is that insurance companies may try to void your policy if they determine you were running on a CT when an accident occurred: CT's are not officially approved for use on a motorcycle, and if they are looking at paying out huge amounts of cash, they will look for ways to cut their losses. Doesn't matter how safe/good/effective they are to an insurance company. Just something to consider. Cheers!

george james
03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Not necessarily so, I have first hand knowledge of a payout on a totaled vulcan with a ct on it. No questions asked about the tire, to be fair we didn't mention it either. Could you show us where ct are not officially approved for a bike? Thx.

george james
03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Also could you show me where they are not officially approved for a motorcycle? The.

rbentnail
03-03-2014, 08:39 PM
One thing CT riders forget, is that insurance companies may try to void your policy if they determine you were running on a CT when an accident occurred:
You have first-hand knowledge of this or is it just more neenerwebs fodder to munch?

CT's are not officially approved for use on a motorcycle, and if they are looking at paying out huge amounts of cash, they will look for ways to cut their losses. Doesn't matter how safe/good/effective they are to an insurance company. Just something to consider. Cheers!
Depending on who you talk to, nothing aftermarket is "officially approved". From air filters to seats to pipes to tires, someone somewhere is going to say it's illegal or it's dangerous or it'll hurt your engine or whatever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not trying to convince anyone anywhere to run a car tire. I do and I like it. On my bike it performs better than any M/T I ever installed. What I am saying is that if folks are curious then try it. You may like it, you may not. Just take the naysayers comments with a grain of salt, they have never tried it and prolly never will. That's fine too.

SgtSlag
03-04-2014, 06:17 PM
I was quoting the "experts", from Motorcycle Consumer News magazine. They have discussed it a couple of times, I believe, in the past few years.

Bottom line: write your insurance company and ask them whether running a CT on your bike will violate or compromise your coverage in any way. They are the only one's who can answer this question legitimately. Everything else is meaningless, as your contract is with them, not the Internet's countless forums, and not with an expert staff member of a magazine. Even the experts at MCN (includng their staff columnist lawyer) cannot speak for your insurance company.

I don't ride on a CT, and I doubt I will, but I do plan to write my insuror to ask -- I was considering it until the insurance question came up, it gave me pause to avoid it, and now I really would like to know their official view on this topic (can't afford to have my policy cancelled due to a CT during a crash, wife, kids to provide for). Only your insurance company can say what they would do with your policy, and your situation. Cheers!

PS: Regarding CT's officially not approved for use on MC's, just send an e-mail to a tire manufacturer asking if they think it is a good idea to run a CT on a bike. I read some comments from a tire factory employee discussing this, recently, but cannot remember where.

As has been stated here, and numerous other places (forums and magazines), aftermarket parts are not "officially approved" for use on your bike, and if you replace the OEM tires with something different, then you are violating the "not designed for your bike" mantra. It's a valid counter-point to my previous posting. Using a different tire than what the factory spec'ed for your bike, will change the dynamics of handling, safety, traction, etc. It leads to a pointless, un-ending argument -- sorry I opened that particular can of worms, as I should have known better.
:oops:

rbentnail
03-04-2014, 08:42 PM
I was quoting the "experts", from Motorcycle Consumer News magazine. They have discussed it a couple of times, I believe, in the past few years.
That rag :shock:? I can't believe people are still using it for something other than starting fires and wiping their butts. They are not experts. IMHO no one is an expert- the best we can do when it comes to motorcycles is try and learn, live and let live, ride and let ride. I love to hear peoples' personal observations and objective informed opinions of things like gps, seat, pipes, tires, etc. that they have actually tried. IMO what it comes down to is personal choice based on facts, not the so-called "experts" who have never done/tried it and spout their gloom & doom to the unwary. It does sell magazines though, don't it ;)?

Using a different tire than what the factory spec'ed for your bike, will change the dynamics of handling, safety, traction, etc.
So what your saying is that the original OEM tire that was on the bike from the factory is the one & only tire "authorized" for use on that bike? Sorry, no way. My bike came with Metzlers. They were crap. And I tried many other brands and types, at least 2 sometimes 3 rear tires per year. Some were better than others. But mostly they were overrated, overpriced and under-performing. For me, on my bike, a car tire is the way to go. It grips better, it corners just as well, it costs less and it lasts longer. For me it's a win-win-win-win situation. It ain't slowed me down a bit. Ask around, the folks here that I've ridden with will tell ya :cool:.

It leads to a pointless, un-ending argument -- sorry I opened that particular can of worms, as I should have known better.
:oops:
Pointless when interrupted with rumor, "I heard..." and "I read...". Quite valid when "I tried that and..." comes up. No harm, no foul. Some of us, the DarkSiders, know when to tune out. We've gotten quite good at it actually. When someone looks at my bike and begins with the dying a horrible flaming death [email protected], I usually reply with something like, "blah, blah blah. Think what you want, catch me if you can. Have a nice day." :evil:.