LOOKING TO BUY CONCOURS [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LOOKING TO BUY CONCOURS

SIBLADERUNNER
12-12-2013, 09:59 AM
I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE CONCOURS, BUT I HAVE HEARD SO MANY MIXED REVIEWS. I HOPE THIS SITE IS NOT FULL OF BIAS. I'M EITHER GOING TO BUY A CONCOURS, TRIUMPH TROPHY, OR BMW 1200RT. THE KAW IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE, BUT THE FUEL RANGE AND PASSENGER COMFORT CONCERNS ME. THE PURPOSE OF SELLING MY YAMAHA AND BUYING A NEW BIKE IS TO BRING THE WIFE ALONG ON TRIPS. SHE LOVES THE YAMAHA BUT IT IS NOT BIG ENOUGH NOR COMFORTABLE ENOUGH FOR 2 UP RIDING. MY CONCERNS ARE FUEL RANGE AND COMFORT. THE BMW AND TRIUMPH HAVE THE KAW BEAT, BUT MY QUESTION IS, IS THERE ENOUGH WAYS TO CUSTOMIZE THE KAW AND MAKE IT WHAT THE OTHERS ARE? BIG DEAL WOULD BE COMFORTABLE HEATED SEAT. ARE THE AFTERMARKET SEATS AS GOOD AS STOCK? DON'T WORRY ABOUT TRUNK I HAVE A GIVI 46 AND I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT CRUISE (ALTHOUGH DO THE 2014'S COME WITH THAT?). I KNOW THIS IS A LOT TO ASK, BUT I WANT TO KEEP IT FOR A LONG TIME AND CONTINUE RIDING MORE THAT 15K MILES A YEAR. THANK YOU.

RoadRunner322
12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I owned a 2004 ZG1000 Concours, not the new style. I liked it. It had a 7.5 gallon tank that gave it a long range. I think the new ones have a 6.5 gallon tank. The only complaints i had with mine is that it was heavy and top heavy making it easy to drop in a parking lot. And, I'd prefer a more upright riding position. The seat was comfortable. Very reliable bike. And the older models are dirt cheap.

There are two forums that I know of that are for the Concours alone. Ask them.
ConcoursOwnersGroup
ZGGTRFanatics

Still lost
02-01-2014, 12:54 AM
I ride a 2008 C14 and it's given me great times. It's been up the Alaska Hwy. Into the Yukon and Northwest Territories. West through much of British Columbia and across the northern states from Washington to Michigan. Packing with some tie ons and 46 litter GIVI trunk, we've been on the road for a month at a time and carried what we needed as well as what we found along the way. It's even for sale but we're up here in Canada so that doesn't work so well. I have no trouble with the stock seats and the seating position allows for long days. We're getting a bit old for them though and expect to change our riding style to shorter days. That said, the C14 is going to be too seriously a bike for me. If you go for one of these, they like to play.

Baitis
02-01-2014, 06:32 AM
I've been looking at the Concours for a few years and a bike show is next week, same show I bought 900 at. Just read an article regarding valve adjustments - I think it's 24k intervals. Remove 60+ fasteners just to be able to see the valve cover then a spaghetti network of hoses once the fuel tank is removed. This is followed by removing the cam to swap shims. Getting the network of hoses back in the original location sounded like a nightmare too. I think the article was in the latest issue of Cycle World or Rider. The article also said that shops won't give the same mechanic a Concours twice in a row to do the valves. I do all of my own work and have a week to dig up more detail but the valves alone if the article is true will result in keeping my 900. It's a shame b/c I've ridden them twice but I'm not spending my little bit of free time bent over a motorcycle in the garage.

ROB3KAWS
10-06-2014, 11:52 PM
I don't know if you picked up a Concours or other model.
I bought a used 2006 Concours with low mileage (15,000 miles) a couple of years ago.
Comfortable enough, great fuel economy & range as long as you keep the speed down.
I don't ride 2 up so passenger comfort is not of my concern.
As somebody else said it is as reliable as a Toyota Corolla.
I have done a couple of 10 Day/3,000 mile round trips.
I am looking to get a good 2 place motorcycle trailer and tow bikes to destination.
The trouble is my limited vacation time.

Ericthejet
10-07-2014, 08:54 AM
A good bike with many qualities that have made it popular over a few decades.
A good friend of mine has been on BMWs for three decades and is very level headed when offering up advice on bikes.
If you plan on 2 up riding I would consider looking at the BMW K1200LT which is another great bike for touring. I am in the market ofr one and prices have dropped as of late.

In the end you will end up with a good bike and the differences will be minimal.
7.5 gallons or 6.5 gallons? Most of us stop and stretch our legs every few hours anyways. :-) Good luck and do your research.