'93 Voyager for a winter project ? Not a keeper, just a project. [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

'93 Voyager for a winter project ? Not a keeper, just a project.

Krazbob
12-17-2013, 09:27 AM
I've been shopping around for a winter project to keep me from cabin fever , and found this one. What do you think ??

It’s a 1993 Voyager 1200 with 102K miles. It has a small oil leak when
leaned on the side stand. Tires are good, shocks need replaced . The cruise
works, but the radio quit suddenly. Last summer, he wanted $1700 but he
said he is taking a long trip and would sell it to me in the next two weeks
for $1000.. KBB has a trade in price “good condition” at $1745 and retail in
“excellent condition” at $2590. The body seems in not too bad of shape for
the age. I don’t like the sound of oil leaks. It could mean pulling the
engine and don’t want to really get into that much of a project. I’ll have
to do some serious thinking on this,,,,,,,,,looking for some input .

Oly750LTD
12-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Below KBB and small oil leak at 102K and winter project - not a bad deal. If you had to ride it in the spring would your feelings be hurt? Price still may be high due to the mileage and it may need more. If you like the bike and the project go for it.

STREETSLAYER
12-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I would stay away form it....someone else's headache.....and when you get done not really worth the money and time you spent on it....my 2cents......I do a ton of bike resto's and builds!!:cool:

RoadRunner322
12-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I agree with the advice of stay away from it. If you don't plan to keep it you will never sell it for what you put into it. You can buy some newer nice 4 cyl Voyagers with low miles in the $3k to $4k range. Fixing up and old bike can total up a bunch of bucks in a hurry.

By the way, in case you noticed my signature, My 85ZN700 only had 1,053 miles on it when I bought it. It only needed carb cleaning and spark plugs but by the time I put new tires on it, fork seals that started leaking pdq, replaced the signal lights because the old rubber stalks broke, new rear shocks, windshield, etc. I had $2700 in it. I paid $1200 for it initially.

SgtSlag
03-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I own a '93. The most likely cause of the oil leak is that the PO put too much oil into it: 3 qts. 22 oz. only, period, forget the window, forget everything else. There are two (not one) oil drain plugs, both of which need to be pulled to fully drain the oil, and many folks don't know this, and even if they only put in 3 qts. 22 oz., it will still be too much because they did not fully drain the old oil.

For a definitive answer, contact Carl Leo, and discuss it with him. Carl is a retired Kawasaki technician, who is the de facto Voyager XII guru. He can help you better than anyone else. Nice guy, easy to talk to, very helpful. His contact information can be found on two Voyager sites, at the top of their forums: abbikeboard.com • Index page (http://www.abbikeboard.com/forum/), and American Voyager Association • Index page (http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/).

The rear shocks are oil filled. They can be removed, the oil drained, replaced, and they will work like new. Or, a better option, is to replace the front Fork Springs and rear Shocks, with Progressive brand, Fork Springs and airless Shocks. The bike will perform much better, but this will cost ~$300 for parts. The work is easy enough, though, to do yourself.

With regards to KBB's prices, those are low, typically, for what these bikes go for. Regardless, they are solid bikes, if properly maintained; the engines will go 300k+ miles with just normal maintenance. They are superb touring bikes, similar to GW, but at a fraction of the cost. Cheers!