2010 1700 Voyager ABS Recommended Fuel [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2010 1700 Voyager ABS Recommended Fuel

ketro0713
01-29-2014, 12:37 PM
I just read on the Kawasaki website for the 2014 1700 Voyager, recommended fuel to use, is "Regular Grade". So I went and pulled up my model year, and read all about the specs and stuff, and saw that for fuel usage, the recommended gas to use was, "Regular Grade" gas. I have been using mid grade (89 octane) as the owner's manuel recommended. Have wanted to try burning regular grade, because of price difference, also fuel mileage on mid grade is not very good. I've spoken to several people with bikes in the same category, (Goldwings, VTX 1800's, Venture 1300 V4's) and they all burn regular grade gas, and say the bikes run fine, and fuel mileage is adequate. I'm just wondering why the owner's manuel says to use 90 octane, but the website says "regular grade". Would appreciate any opinions, or facts on this subject!!

Thanks, Keto

SgtSlag
03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Octane rating is the anti-knock rating of the gasoline. It is essentially a percentage number rating for its resistance to knocking, or pinging, or pre-detonation, which, when it occurs, can blow a hole into the piston head. The higher the octane rating, the more resistance to knocking/pinging/pre-detonation.

Now, onto your question. High compression engines require higher octane fuels, to avoid knocking. I do not know what the compression rating for your bike is, so I cannot say if it needs 90 octane fuel, or not. Aside from knocking, the mileage will not vary much. High octane fuel is only beneficial if your engine knocks; it will not improve performance, mileage, emissions, or horsepower. That is an old wive's tale.

If you try 87/89 octane fuels, listen for pinging. If it pings, increase the octane of the fuel sooner, rather than later, to avoid blowing a piston. Your Voyager is fuel injected, and therefore controlled by a computer, which will try to compensate for the pre-detonation as much as it can, but it can only compensate so much. Try running low on fuel, pump in a gallon of 87/89, and run it to see if it pings. If it does, top it off with 90 octane, and wait until you run it low again, before trying the next higher octane fuel, with one gallon only. That way you can incrementally test the octane ratings, to see how high you need to go, to eliminate pinging.

By the way, my '93 Voyager XII runs at 10:1 compression, and it runs perfectly on 87 octane fuels. Can't say what your bike's engine is, or how it will run on 87 octane fuels -- you will have to experiment to find out. Cheers!

raw6464
05-14-2014, 02:13 PM
I run regular 87 octane on my 2010 1700 with no problems or pinging. If while testing you find regular 87 pings on your bike just don't lug down the engines RPM in high gears. Keep the rpms up in lower gears and you'll be OK until you can fill up with higher octane.

ketro0713
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Octane rating is the anti-knock rating of the gasoline. It is essentially a percentage number rating for its resistance to knocking, or pinging, or pre-detonation, which, when it occurs, can blow a hole into the piston head. The higher the octane rating, the more resistance to knocking/pinging/pre-detonation.

Now, onto your question. High compression engines require higher octane fuels, to avoid knocking. I do not know what the compression rating for your bike is, so I cannot say if it needs 90 octane fuel, or not. Aside from knocking, the mileage will not vary much. High octane fuel is only beneficial if your engine knocks; it will not improve performance, mileage, emissions, or horsepower. That is an old wive's tale.

If you try 87/89 octane fuels, listen for pinging. If it pings, increase the octane of the fuel sooner, rather than later, to avoid blowing a piston. Your Voyager is fuel injected, and therefore controlled by a computer, which will try to compensate for the pre-detonation as much as it can, but it can only compensate so much. Try running low on fuel, pump in a gallon of 87/89, and run it to see if it pings. If it does, top it off with 90 octane, and wait until you run it low again, before trying the next higher octane fuel, with one gallon only. That way you can incrementally test the octane ratings, to see how high you need to go, to eliminate pinging.

By the way, my '93 Voyager XII runs at 10:1 compression, and it runs perfectly on 87 octane fuels. Can't say what your bike's engine is, or how it will run on 87 octane fuels -- you will have to experiment to find out. Cheers!

Hey Sgt, appreciate the come back! According to my owner's manual, compression on this bike is 9.5:1. So if you ran 87 octane in your '93 Voyager XII with 10:1, this bike aught to do fine on the 87 octane. Thanks, appreciate the info. Have a good one...........and stay SAFE out here!! Keto

elr658
09-23-2014, 01:29 PM
I had over 11:1on my FZR750 it ran fine on87