Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Just broke my leg after a motorcycle accident

601 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
Hi forum members, I just broke my leg after a big accident on the freeway. Luckily it was a mid-shaft femur break, some idiot pulled out in front of my while I was lane-splitting and I went into his BMW’s trunk. I missed work for five weeks and am in crutches. While my spirit isn’t broken, I see myself looking at bikers and really wanting to get back on. BUT I promised my family and my fiancée that I would never get on them again. Of course I have always heard how dangerous they are etc…

Its been about a month and a half since the accident, as I get my leg strength back up and see a light at the end of the tunnel, I can really see myself riding. Granted it won’t be for a year or two since I would have to save my money and I would never buy a motorcycle in the middle of summer since they are so expensive, but I slowly see the “bull calling me back for another ride”. To be honest I had a sport bike and was extremely reckless, in other words it wasn’t my first bike accident and continues to drive my Ninja like a madman. I have learned my lesson and if I do ride will be extremely cautious. I live is Los Angeles too which is not the most biker-friendly city in the US.

Any guidance, tips or experience you can share with me? I really could use some insight on this, I know I am not the first to have this happen.

See less See more
#4 ·
Any guidance, tips or experience you can share with me? I really could use some insight on this, I know I am not the first to have this happen.
Move to the country.

No really, it sounds to me as though you are and aggressive rider by nature. In my many years of experience (old guy) risky business on a motorcycle always catches up with the rider. Injury is all but inevitable and the risk of death goes up when a rider continuously takes chances. Ask yourself honestly if you are willing to accept the consequences of riding aggressively. If it's really worth it to you, carry on. If not, change your ways, get a big slow bike and stay off the super highways.

#5 ·
Start warming the family up now for the fact that you are going to be riding again. When with them it's the little things that work:

- a deep sigh when you see a bike you like;
- a little slobber helps;
- a slower pace when walking by one never taking your eyes off it;

You get the idea. Start now, if they cave fine if not then too bad you tried. Also sounds like you realize the dangers and your contributions to increasing the inherent risks. What we can't help you with is this: are you going to man up/grow up? Search your soul. Deeper. Deeper still. If you can't/won't mature enough to do right by your family then find some other way to kill yourself where at least you have the decency to not impact a stranger's life or destroy property not your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.