adding USB, other power outlet on my 2010 Voyager [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

adding USB, other power outlet on my 2010 Voyager

Fattire
08-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Bit of a neophyte when it comes to figuring out electrical stuff, I would like to add a couple USB charging ports to my 2010 Voyager. Posts I've read kinda date back awhile so was looking for more current advice. Some say cigarette lighter, then a USB plug in to that. So how would I do that, where would I wire that in? I can do this stuff I just need to be told how, and where to get parts. This would be for charging a phone, gps, helmet communication device, not while riding although the gps would be while riding(haven't gotten it yet though).....thanks in advance.

grmf
08-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I have an 08 900 and I added 2 lighter outlet ports. My bike has aux power connectors in the headlight and under the seat. I just bought 2 lighter outlet power extenders from Radio Shack, cut the plug off and put on connectors to connect to the aux wires in the headlight and under seat. I used a volt meter to make sure I wired it correctly.

I would guess you have some aux wires too. If not just wire it straight to the battery. The tip (center) of the power port should connect to the positive and the edge to the negative. If you connect it directly I recommend you put a 5 or 10 amp fuse inline on one of the wires.

Once you have that connected you can plug anything into it.

Fattire
08-08-2014, 10:26 AM
one would think that as many people who need these extra plug in sources for phones, gps, etc, that they would come standard, or else be able to buy a ready made cable that you just plug in. Specially on the larger touring bikes like my Voyager. If I find and use an aux wire in the headlamp, I assume that it only has power when the bike is on. if there is one under the seat near the battery?, maybe that one has power all the time.

grmf
08-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Mine are "hot" all the time. They even have their own 10amp fuse in the fuse box (both on the same fuse). The one under the seat was in the bundle. If you have a service manual it will explain where they are and the color of the wires.

Fattire
08-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Ok, I get to wear the dunce cap today......while sitting along side my Voyager, looking at the wires under the seat, I glance to the right and see a round cap thingy on my ferring, pop the cap and there's a cig lighter. DUH.
RTFM!! that one only works while bike is on. will get a USB plug that goes right into my charger plug for power all the time so I can charge my cardo headset unit while bike is off.