2003 voyager XII noise [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2003 voyager XII noise

Efc
08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum, and have a question about my 2003 voyager XII.
Let me start by giving some info :

1. Once and a while, especially after the bike has run, I get this ticking noise , sometimes seems like it is on the drivers right, sometimes left. I swear it sounds like a tapping valve, but recently I used the ol screwdriver trick, and it seems to be coming from the adjustable cam chain tensioner.That is where it seems loudest, but I am not sure if it is it for certain, because as I go around the engine, I hear other similar noises. But it seems to be loudest there, and the sound.Here is some further info:

1. Bike runs great, through the entire R P M range. No hiccups issues etc.

2. It has 54000 miles, I bought used from the gentleman who appears to have been the head of American voyager association, the bike is actually pictured there, under the pics area. Silver with a lot of chrome.

3. It especially starts this after I shut bike off, then start a few minutes later. Ticking starts, then eventually goes a way, mostly, as I ride. I have a service manual, am mechanically inclined, and followed the section that said to rev motor to 3000
Rpm for a few seconds, then some quick revs for any Tappets that may have lost pressure.

4. I have had bike a year, and it does this off and on, but goes away
I have added Rottela T exactly 3 quarts 22 ounces.Have also changed oil filter , and due to some circumstances, removed the oil pan and motor look gunk free.

5 Also, it does not seem to matter what the weather conditions are, hot cold.

I am thinking it is the cam chain tensioner, or a bad Tappet or 2. Any input would be appreciated.

THANKS

Cynjut
08-18-2014, 03:21 PM
If you're heating it at the adjuster, it could actually be anywhere in the cam chain circuit. The sounds will travel through the cam chain and into the tensioner.

I'm not as familiar with the Voyager as I am the older quads, but if it was me, I'd pull the valve cover and inspect the chain and the guides. The Cam Chain Diagram (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/2003/ZG1200-B17+Voyager+XII/CAMSHAFT%28S%29-TENSIONER/parts.html) looks a lot like the one for my KZ1000, so I'd suspect all of the things that live there. Look for a bad link in the cam chain and check the wear on the lower guides (a good pencil flashlight should be enough). If the tensioner guide is worn, you could be getting a little slap from the chain from time to time.

Of you want to, you can try 'stethoscoping' at the front of the engine, right in the middle, there the jugs meet the block. There are a couple of attachment points there that will have the same proximity to the timing chain. If you don't hear anything at the front, the cam chain may not be your problem.

Efc
08-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Thank you good idea

Efc
08-18-2014, 05:22 PM
How can you tell if it is too worn? Deep channels and obviously worn too thin?I guess I mean how much wear can there be that is acceptable ?

Thanks

Cynjut
08-18-2014, 05:28 PM
If the grooves are deep enough that the rivets on the sides of the chain are hitting, it's time to replace them. If you replace one, you should try to replace them all, and if you do that, you might consider replacing the chain at the same time. While you're checking things, you should probably also look at the sprockets to make sure the teeth are nice and flat - you don't want pointy teeth on your sprocket or they've worn too much and will give you unpredictable service. If the guides are worn through anywhere, they need replaced.

On the KZ-1000, the guides can all be replaced with the engine together - the idler wheels need to have the engine apart for replacement. On yours (since I didn't see any idlers on the diagram) you might be able to replace everything from the top.

Efc
08-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Thank you,that is a great response,never thought of rivets.........yes that was another question,would i have the jug off,I am not afraid to work on the motor,just wondering if I could replace from top.I will look at the service manual,sooooooooo the rails must bolt in place ,and yes I thought of what you said,if I am in there,the other rails go.

Thank you

Efc
08-18-2014, 08:57 PM
By the way the KZ 1000 was a BAD bike,(meant good) I remember hearing them with the performance pipes,sounded great.I know a lot of people liked them and if I am not mistaken,were popular at the drag strip.

RoadRunner322
08-19-2014, 08:13 PM
We want you to stay here, but the voyager sites may have more info.
American Voyager Association (http://www.amervoyassoc.org/)

Efc
08-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Thank you,nothing says you cant be at more than one forum lol !