2014 Voyager ABS [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2014 Voyager ABS

Tech024
10-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Just bought a new Voyager (2014) with ABS and was wondering if this is normal… When I press the breaks (going very slow) there is kind of a slight grabbing then they work normal. I know with the ABS you get a different feeling, but I thought this was more so when you were going fast and then came to a fast stop. I thought maybe air in the lines or something like that.

Thanks for your help

rbentnail
10-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I think maybe it's more b/c it's new and has nothing to do with the ABS. It takes a few miles to condition the surfaces of the rotor and brake pads to each other, at first they'll seem grabby. Also, I bet if you search deep you may find that the ABS is inoperative at low speeds.

'Grats on the new bike! How 'bout some pics of that puppy?

Tech024
10-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. However, I have almost 3,000 kms on the bike now and it's still has that grabbing feeling. The reason I'm asking about it is because my friend has a Honda F6B ABS and he says he doesn't get that feeling of grabbing. His bike is also brand new. I asked the dealer when I took it in for the 1,000 km check up and he said it was normal…Not sure about that.

Once again thanks for you reply.

CabezaCoco
10-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Just bought a new Voyager (2014) with ABS and was wondering if this is normal… When I press the breaks (going very slow) there is kind of a slight grabbing then they work normal. I know with the ABS you get a different feeling, but I thought this was more so when you were going fast and then came to a fast stop. I thought maybe air in the lines or something like that.

Thanks for your help

I have more than 5000 km on my 2014 Voyager... it still has the grabbing feeling if you use only the rear brake, which automatically engages the front brake at something like 50%. I learned to press the front brake slightly first before pressing the rear brake. Cuts down on the jerking feeling significantly.

Tech024
10-27-2014, 09:44 PM
I have more than 5000 km on my 2014 Voyager... it still has the grabbing feeling if you use only the rear brake, which automatically engages the front brake at something like 50%. I learned to press the front brake slightly first before pressing the rear brake. Cuts down on the jerking feeling significantly.

Thanks for the reply. However, it also has the grabbing feeling even if I only apply my front breaks. i.e. coming up to a slow roll at a stop sign or just behind a car.

ketro0713
11-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Hey Tech024, the reason for that diving sensation is because on the ABS model, you have a proportion valve, which works this way; When you apply rear brake only, the proportion valve sends 80% braking to rear wheel, and 20% to front wheel. And when you apply front brake only, you get 80% to front brake, and 20% to rear wheel. You will notice that when you apply front brake first, then a second later (while still holding front brake lever) you apply rear brake, bike will have a tendency to dive. That's because rear brake is catching quicker because of the proportion valve. And vice-versa with rear brake first, and front brake a second later, same result.........slight dive. As you put more and more miles on the bike, you will get a feel for it, and it won't dive as bad. As brake pads wear, diving sensation will increase. But you should start feeling it a little more and more as you get used to the bike. Hope this helps you understand a little clearer. Thanks, and SAFE riding out there, Keto0713

Tech024
11-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks for you input. I just put my bike away for the season so, I'll have to give it a go next season.

Thanks again Keto0713

ketro0713
11-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks for you input. I just put my bike away for the season so, I'll have to give it a go next season.

Thanks again Keto0713

Oh ok. Well good luck with it next season!! And remember always.............SAFETY FIRST!!