Looking at a 12 Concours to get back in to biking and need some sage advice [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

Looking at a 12 Concours to get back in to biking and need some sage advice

gth
02-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking a buying a '12 Concours 14 with 5,000 miles for a price hovering around a 10 spot from a private owner and a '12 brand new for a couple more points. Can anyone school me which direction I should go.

Thanks

Trying to get back on the road again after a long hiatus!

RoadRunner322
02-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I'd probably go with the new one. You know the clutch isn't burned up. How rusty are your riding skills? That's a lot of motorcycle!

I owned a 2004 Concours for a couple of years. It was very top heavy. I don't know a lot about the newer style except they have a lot more hp!

There are at least two forums that deal with the Concours: ConcoursOwnersGroup, and ZG/GTR Fanatics I believe are the names. I'm sure you could get lots of input from there.

gth
02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
That is a good point RoadRunner regarding the clutch. My riding skills have to be rusty but I have no doubt I can handle the beast. It is very low and well balanced compared to my old KZ 900. Both '12's seem to fit my price point but i would want to put on some crash bars and maybe a back rest and possibly cruise control so less money spent on the bike more money can be spent on accessories. The used Concours is priced way over the blue book trade in and I don't know where to drop the price to that would not be too insulting. The dealer I have no issues with but a private owner is different.

RoadRunner322
02-03-2015, 08:41 PM
The new style is almost as heavy as the old style. I don't know if they engineered the center of gravity lower. The old one was very top heavy, so much so there was a subject in the concours owners group site for people to tell of the times they dropped it. You can usually tell a lot about how the bike was treated just by meeting and talking to the owner. The guy who bought my 04 Concours rode it almost every day to work, a 35 mile ride each way for about a month and then traded it in on a new FJR. That was a beautiful bike, that blue FJR!

RDap98
02-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Hey GTH (welcome),
I just made a very similar decision. I wound up purchasing a 2012 Concours with 4,300 miles. The bike is immaculate, no issues and I'm VERY happy with the purchase. You have to remember that at a dealer there is always tax / fees (etc). The biggest secondary consideration (besides price) for me was warranty. Buying new from a dealer is there still a warranty from Kawi? Or buying private is the warranty still in effect (allowing GTPP extension)? I started the conversation to purchase mine with "in today's electronic world 'values' (trade / retail) are readily available"... "and unless both parties are happy (can agree) there is NO sale." With that being said I wound up negotiating a deal. If you go "private" just put the KBB / NADA values on the table and see if you can agree on something. As a seller I wouldn't take "trade" (as I'd expect that or better from a dealer) but wouldn't expect "High Retail" either. Good Luck and dont forget to post pics once you purchase !!!! Expect to see you here and on the COG Forum as well.

deepseamdv
02-04-2015, 09:20 PM
I purchased a used 09 C14 in 12. I love it.Two bits of advice. 1. If the used one has the extended warranty then ok but if not no way. Things like TPMS sensors and other "consumables" are EXPENSIVE but can be fixed with the warranty. By all means go to cog-online.org you will find a wealth of information. Also it is well worth joining. 2. It is no longer an issue for me because I've gotten used to it, took about 3000 miles. This bike is Big and Heavy, it will surprise you both good and bad. It is a joy to ride, the stock seat stinks but there are many options. I have a Russel Day Long seat and can literally ride all day.
Best of luck.

shezonit
02-04-2015, 11:45 PM
I bought an '08 with 35K miles and have had no problems in 10K miles. I wouldn't hesitate on a 5000 mile C-14.
I've been riding 10 years, my previous sport tourer was a Honda ST1100 that I bought with 65k miles on it. I sold it at 85K miles. I believe if a Japanese bike has maintenance, it will hold up. I always say "Change the oil, turn the key" and so far, with 8 Japanese bikes, no problems.
It's not a beginner bike... Very speedy and heavy front end... But once I got the feel of the front end... It is a world of fun. I live in Montana and ride mountains- I've done some multi day trips and it's comfortable all day. Get it and have fun!

deepseamdv
02-04-2015, 11:58 PM
It's great fun at the track. I've been to 3 levels of Keith Code's "California SuperBike School" at Sears Point and it was a blast. Surprised a few Ninja riders.

johntrak
02-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking a buying a '12 Concours 14 with 5,000 miles for a price hovering around a 10 spot from a private owner and a '12 brand new for a couple more points. Can anyone school me which direction I should go.

Thanks

Trying to get back on the road again after a long hiatus!

Hi, I had an '09 Connie and she was well balanced and did not feel her weight. Easy to manouevre at low speeds, great in turns but she tended to want to resist initial turn in. Especially noticeable with some tire wear. But, that's my only complaint. Good mileage, great power but at the same time, manageable. Very comfy but a handlebar riser would have helped a bit. If the price difference isn't that much, I would definitely opt for the newer bike with the higher mirrors and controllers at the grips. She's a good motor. Good hunting, hope it works out well. You can't go wrong with a C-14 either way in my opinion.

turbohawk
02-05-2015, 09:38 AM
I could write volumes on the C14 and just how awesome it is. I have 50k on my 2009, my buddies have nearly 80k on theirs (I'm jealous as they've had more time off to ride than me last couple of years). The original Concours HAS NOTHING in common with the new design except the name and reliability. Night and day improvements all around.

I would buy another in a heartbeat if the need arose but I know I will wear out before it will.

Tires: Stock brickstone tires are turds. I would immediately change (or make that part of a new deal to replace tires, you won't regret it) to Pirelli Angels or Michelin PR2 or newer and it is a very nimble, svelte machine. It is NOT worth it to ride the bike with the stock tires, trust me on this. Some people have had better experiences but ALL notice a HUGE improvement with different brands, specifically the ones I mentioned.

Reliability has been superb as usual for Kawasaki. MPG has been averaging 42 and I ride at least 10 over posted speed limits FOR SAFETY on the highways. (Debate it all you want, I've got over a million motorcycle miles on this body). The tire pressure sensors are a HUGE plus. I won't own a vehicle without them now. Have saved my butt from being stranded (or much worse) at least twice. Quite a few little changes from my 09 to the 15 but the quality is top notch with all years.

Enjoy! Any questions I can try to answer.