2014 Voyager trunk removal - Opinions and pics [Archive] - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

2014 Voyager trunk removal - Opinions and pics

Philippe721
04-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Voyager trunk removal Modification
===================================

The very short story: I LOVE IT!

The long story:

Background:
I have had a Goldwing, a Valkyrie, a Royal Star Tourer and now a Kawasaki Voyager. That's in the last 20 years. I am not even talking about the bikes I had in the 70's. So I know both sides of the touring vs cruising debate.

Reasons for the modification:
I love the feel and look of a big cruiser but I also love the comfort on a big tourer. Unfortunately no manufacturer out there combines the two. Kawasaki is a perfect example: the Voyager has everything and then some, but the Vaquero did not have (prior to 2015) ABS, the seat is much more uncomfortable and the saddlebags are much smaller with side entry, the windshield is too small and it does not comes with driving lights. (This is just my opinion and if you love your Vaquero, good for you!)

Also when I first rode the Voyager I was a bit surprised how heavy it was. Even though I am used to big bikes at nearly 900 lb it is a bit over the top. Removing the trunk will make it lighter and lower the center of gravity, and make maneuvering at low speed easier.

If you are not a "mechanic" don't worry I am not either and if I can do it so can you, trust me !

I want to thank DaveMc for the step-by-step instructions he provided.

Here is the link to the instructions:
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-touring-sport-touring/134730-kawasaki-street-glide-voyager-vaquero-solo-voyager.html

Benefit of truck removal:
*I have the most comfortable and best looking cruiser (my) money can buy. Also I have ABS and all the amenities reserved for large tourers.

*I shaved off 33 lb of the total weight:
Trunk = 18 lb, Frame = 10.2 lb, trunk light and side pieces = 4.8 lb

Recommendations:
*Follow DaveMc's directions carefully and you can't go wrong.
*If you don't like it, you can put it back together in an hour (or two)
*As I was taking screws off I was either putting them back on so that if and when I want to put put the trunk back on they will be there. Other screws and pieces I put in marked envelopes.
* You can keep the antenna.....see instructions below.

Final thoughts:
* DaveMc mentioned that it did not have a finished look. I tend to disagree. I was already contemplating adding a passenger backrest (from the Nomad) as well as trim pieces like another rider from a different website did. Now that I am done, I find the look perfectly acceptable and will most likely not add anything.(I ride solo!).
* I took the bike for a short ride soon after removing the trunk and I could tell right away it was 33 lb lighter.

Instruction for antenna:
1) Put the antenna and the wire back together the way it was on the trunk.
2) You will not need the bottom cover part, set aside.
3) Unscrew the two Allen screws (ONLY HALF WAY) on the bracket that hold the LEFT saddlebag to the bike.
4) Slide-in the downward part of the antenna assembly between the fender and the bracket.
5)Tighten back the screws.
6) Run the wire along the the bracket and tie it with a zip strip
7) Run the grounding wire along the bracket and screw it in place to one of the screws removed earlier.
See pics

Big Reyn
05-31-2015, 10:49 PM
Thinking about doing the trunk removal to my Voyager. How did you mount the antenna?

Philippe721
05-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Thinking about doing the trunk removal to my Voyager. How did you mount the antenna?

Follow the instructions (numbered 1-7) at the end of my post and look at the last two pics I posted......if you still have questions after that just let me know.

Big Reyn
06-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks

Lumber-jack
09-18-2015, 11:03 PM
While I like the look of the Vaquero when I realized I could do this I decided on the Voyager.

Philippe721
10-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Good for you Lumber-Jack. How about posting pics when you have it done?

FlyNavy
12-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Kudos to both DaveMc and Philippe721.

I finally picked up a Voyager and went trunkless. Yes, it will take a little time to put back together. As DaveMc noted, you can take it on and off quickly if you assemble it without the side chrome trim pieces.

Here are some pics of my ride.

Philippe721
12-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Good for you! I am glad I could help.

Earlier this year I bought the trim pieces and backrest from a Nomad from a guy on the forum but I did not like the look of it on the Voyager and sold them to another Voyager owner.

If you think you would want to "Nomad" your Voyager, there is another guy on this forum or the "Bagger forum" that has a set for sell at only around 200 bucks.

I love the Voyager trunk-less. I have put on and taken the trunk off several times and can do it under one hour. The way to do it without too much pain is to have small envelops marked with every screws and nuts and where they go. Also if you use a power screwdriver or drill equipped with the different bits it will go much faster.

That blue looks very good on a Voyager....Enjoy the ride!